Biofuel Struggle

Prototype958

i dont know if i would like to start on a whole new adventure to see if i can do the same that youre doing on your system to create items only when you drop to 6000...... i mean DSU can store up to 2 billion or something crazy like that... (iirc) i think it was direwolf that said so in his mod spotlight.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offfff course I don't have the big gun. =/

I think I started my server like a week before 1.1.5 rolled out... Oh well i'll just set up a bunch of quarrys over the ocean to drain some power. I've spent the morning doing MASSIVE upgrades to my setup, expanding my ME network, completely automating bio fuel farms, added a handful of generators, and started my DSU room... It's been a productive morning. Lol. I'm so glad I made this thread because I've been able to set up almost everything you guys have talked about. Maybe not to the same scales, but I'm getting there. Already have 5 of my 8 biofuel components fully automated, with level detection. Running out of mats though so I think I'm going to need to take a nice long mining trip tonight. =P

i dont know if i would like to start on a whole new adventure to see if i can do the same that youre doing on your system to create items only when you drop to 6000...... i mean DSU can store up to 2 billion or something crazy like that... (iirc) i think it was direwolf that said so in his mod spotlight.

Yeah, at maximum speed, I think I figured it would take about 6 months before the DSUs filled all the way. The the reason I added it was so I don't have to listen to it running all the time, it's super annoying to listen to all those leaves breaking all the time. Although that was before the ComputerCraft computer that only runs it at night...

Offfff course I don't have the big gun. =/

I think I started my server like a week before 1.1.5 rolled out... Oh well i'll just set up a bunch of quarrys over the ocean to drain some power. I've spent the morning doing MASSIVE upgrades to my setup, expanding my ME network, completely automating bio fuel farms, added a handful of generators, and started my DSU room... It's been a productive morning. Lol. I'm so glad I made this thread because I've been able to set up almost everything you guys have talked about. Maybe not to the same scales, but I'm getting there. Already have 5 of my 8 biofuel components fully automated, with level detection. Running out of mats though so I think I'm going to need to take a nice long mining trip tonight. =P

Nice, it would be fun to see some screenshots!

Nice, it would be fun to see some screenshots!

Agreed, i believe that this post helped me a lot too. just like you, i started slow with only 4 ingredients and one generator. now i just dont know what to do to spend all the power i can produce..... 50 biogens??? lol. id like to see some screenshots too!! on way to learn how to improve one's design is to compare it to other people's xD

Also Gildan, i noticed the annoying sound the leaves do when they are being cut, so the design of my farm was basically 40 levels under my main bunker so i never have to listen to it. I'm doing exactly the same with the cows, sheeps and pigs I'm about to accommodate in another gigantic underground room.

Edit: i loved your sheep holes XD

I do most of my quarries underwater. And I have the water electrolyzer for the power helmet and night vision to help me see, then when the quarry is done, I can jump in the water and check the sides for ores it might have missed.

I was having trouble keeping a quarry going in a mystcraft age, it kept stalling out for some reason. I know it wasn't a lack of power, but I'd be standing there watching it(I like watching it... Lol) and it would suddenly just stop. I would have to pick up the tesseract and put it back down again to get the thing started again.

I do most of my quarries underwater. And I have the water electrolyzer for the power helmet and night vision to help me see, then when the quarry is done, I can jump in the water and check the sides for ores it might have missed.

I was having trouble keeping a quarry going in a mystcraft age, it kept stalling out for some reason. I know it wasn't a lack of power, but I'd be standing there watching it(I like watching it... Lol) and it would suddenly just stop. I would have to pick up the tesseract and put it back down again to get the thing started again.

Probably needed to place a Dimensional Anchor, or Chunk loader at your power and item tesseracts in the over world. Only way besides standing in my base in the over world I keep them going. Liked seeing your pictures of your base. I need to do a tour of mine to show it off, just mine is so spread out and massive it's hard to capture in a few pictures!

Hmm, didn't think of that... This was before I dropped my anchor in my main base so maybe another attempt would be worth while. Thanks for the tip.

Yea, my base is starting to get pretty spread out too. I try to keep everything pretty compact becasue I don't like have to expand and level more land. I also have a fence going around the entire thing because I was having a hell of a time with mobs so that's just more crap I need to deal with to expand. It's not that it's hard, it's just more then I want to do. Lol. I'm not much for building structures and big fancy "Factory" buildings everything is just outside or underground. Even my main base is still just a cave network. Easier to expand that way. Houses and buildings are a pain in the balls.

good job man. i loved your cactus farm and the mob grinder you're so proud of. nice idea of using the belts.

and yeah, you need a chunk loader in your base to transport power. the reason quarries work without chunk loaders is well..the quarry itself is a chunk loader xD. ty for the pictures, really cool.

speaking of quarries and chunkl loaders... has anyone noticed that the quarries in the moon dont load up when you restart the game? you gotta go there and force the load then the quarry works as usual. is it me or this has happened to you?

I haven't tried a quarry on the moon, I don't spend much time there anymore after I got lost for 2 hours... I took off exploring one day then went to head back and realized that my waypoints didn't stay... Thank god for those footprints... Lol.

Does the update bring anything more fun to the Moon? I wasn't finding much of anything good there besides a bunch of alien villages.

all ive found on the moon are the buggy's schematics and ton of meteoric ingots that u used to make a 3x3 airlock on my bunker. no particular use..... its just fun xD

are the newest updates announced on the chat actually applied to the current version of tekkit main or i have to download them manually?

i guess ill post this on the main tekkit XD

That's a good question... I don't think so because I think I started seeing the "blah blah mod has update available" AFTER 1.1.5 launched. Could be wrong though.

I need to learn how to upgrade my server so I can play with the new stuff, the MFFS sounds really fun and it would stop my buddie from letting creepers into my god damn house every night... Lol

FYI, before I expanded my biofuel setup, I decided to do some tests on the Laser Drill in the continued spirit of experimentation and efficiency. I found that a Laser Drill running at maximum power requires 400MJ/t.

If you set up the following:

http://imgur.com/FKuIUeA

...and set all the Energy Cells to output 100MJ/t, that Precharger only draws from one Energy Cell, showing that it does not draw more than 100MJ/t. If you then drop the one that it is pulling power from to 95MJ/t maximum output, it will start pulling from another one as well, meaning that it draws 100MJ/t (well this proves it draws 96-100, but there's no way to give something 96MJ/t, so you'd have to do 100MJ/t anyway). That is, in the unlikely event that it's not just straight 100MJ/t (had to be thorough).

Therefore, the entire system needs 400MJ/t to run at maximum power. I'm very much looking forward to having this block.

Also Gildan, i noticed the annoying sound the leaves do when they are being cut, so the design of my farm was basically 40 levels under my main bunker so i never have to listen to it. I'm doing exactly the same with the cows, sheeps and pigs I'm about to accommodate in another gigantic underground room.

Edit: i loved your sheep holes XD

Haha, thanks. I experimented with other designs that could be grass + sheep = wool + sewage, but it was cumbersome for the amounts of sheep that I was planning on having (I was going for compact) and I figure if I need wool for something like that, I could just have another sheep farm. When the structure is a little further along, I'll post some pictures. Should have a "Show off your base" thread to share all these different designs in...

Regarding the noise, When I first designed the plant, it seemed further away than it was, it needs to be a bit deeper. I just don't want to move it again... bleh. And my work computer also lagged a little when it ran... so the overnight thing is working pretty well for me at this point...

so basically the laser drill uses more power than what the 4 pre-chargers can actually provide?

edit: i hope you dont mind but im using the idea of your sheep holes to accomodate as many cows as i can in a 31*31 room xD. its so fun to do things on such scales.

so basically the laser drill uses more power than what the 4 pre-chargers can actually provide?

edit: i hope you dont mind but im using the idea of your sheep holes to accomodate as many cows as i can in a 31*31 room xD. its so fun to do things on such scales.

LOL, not at all. Although I don't think you'll have happy cows. That's gotta be uncomfortable. If it helps, per http://wiki.technicpack.net/Sewer, sheep and cows each produce 26mB seward/tick. If the Composter is directly below the sewer, the ratio of cows/sheep per sewer is 23:1 as that many will completely fill the sewer at the exact rate that the Composter can turn it into fertilizer (without a net gain or loss of sewage). My early tests were 24:1, but it's easy enough to test, just watch the levels as you add more animals. More than 25 per hole and it's wasting cows... Hopefully that helps...

Since I only needed 10, my setup could easily be done like I have it with diamond transport pipes. But since you're trying to fit as many as possible in that space, extra props if you set it up in a checkerboard pattern, as you'll get way more out of the space: http://imgur.com/wtKqjx6

Regarding the Laser Drill... I guess what I'm trying to say is, the Laser Drill has a maximum speed at which it can run, which is 400MJ/t, so that's the max it can use, no more. This is provided by 4 Prechargers each giving it 100MJ/t.

Yea... I've got about 30k fert so I don't think I need to make any changes there. All I need to do to increase the output if I really needed to is add more composters since I'm only using 3 for all my sewers.

Also, I made a SLIGHT adjustment to my biofuel setup tonight and I just needed to show it off because I'm finally happy with how it looks. =P

Check these out!

http://imgur.com/3dvUBcB

Condensed space, increased number of generators, much less underground cabling. It's soooo much better. And I have plenty of room to add on 2-4 more of those stacks eventually. There's a liquid Tesseract in the middle of each of those, feeding the tanks.

hey nice, i was about to tell you that you could use just one tesseract per stack if you placed it in the middle but i saw the liquid tanks there. i guess that's your backup?

anyway, nice job man. its always good to end up with a setup that you like XD extremely satisfying.

Condensed space, increased number of generators, much less underground cabling. It's soooo much better. And I have plenty of room to add on 2-4 more of those stacks eventually. There's a liquid Tesseract in the middle of each of those, feeding the tanks.

Looks very nice!

so wait, i thought the holes were wider. are they just 1x1x3 holes??????

Actually 1x1x2, with Sewer and Composter below, like:

qYwiFO6.png