FF7 Mako Reactor/Materia mod

Munaus

• Moderators

I'm making this thread partly in hopes someone with the required skill could jump on this fantasy.

What I am looking for in this mod:

Mako Reactor block

- sucks life/ "energy" out of nearby blocks. Devours trees/bush leaves and makes dirt blocks/ grass blocks "dead". Corrupting a chunk, basically.

- the energy (called Mako) transferred to another block to "crystalize" into materia

- Mako energy visible outside the reactor block when reactor is "working", perhaps as "smog"?

Materia

- Materia created random.

Green = offensive,

Blue = supportive,

Red = summons,

Yellow = Enemy skill

- Materia level-able with xp orbs?

- Materia GUI? Materia linkable? (bolt + all = targets all hostile mobs in an area?)

- Status Effects magic against enemy mobs. (Freeze? Slow? Blind? Poison?)

- Enemy skill materia. Learn a skill after a mob attacks you. (Sssss.... Boom! Boom - skill learned?)

- Summon Materia. Summon mob to aid you for a limited time.

- Materia Cave? For those who want to preserve nature and find materia spawned naturally.

New mobs

- mobs who only spawn on the chunks that player corrupted.

- Boss mob = Weapon?

Worldgen

- New liquid = Lifestream?

- Materia Cave = rare or not too commonly generated?

This is a list I've set for myself to meet.

I'm not a coder, I don't know programming language. I will learn and take the necessary babysteps, but if someone shares my nerdiness; hop along the nerd train! :3

Well, I like the idea, too, but I can't help much beyond encouragement. I'm still struggling with some basic coding and fighting coder's block. Best thing to push this forward would be to start some textures, sketches, that kind of thing to push this kind of project forward.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I hope this wont be looked as shameful bumping. I wish the community could give me some feedback on reactor designs.

Firstly, I would find it distasteful if you simply put a machine block on the ground, add redstone and voila! You're done!

No

I believe that people, if there are any ff7-nerds out there, would really want to build an actual reactor. Not just plunk a single machine, but several!

The first design I had in mind is inspired by IC2 water generators

DfXJREV.png?1

so, the redstone block represents the reactor. And the iron blocks some form of "booster" that strenghtens and speeds the production of power generation and chunk corruption.

People could just build a simple cobble tower wall around this and pretend it's a reactor, no?

Second and third designs are inspired from mDiyo's Tconstruct and Covert's Railcraft. Namely multiblock-structures.

This image is somewhat of a mix from the first design. Redstone again being the "reactor" with booster connecting it and some form of reactor containing blocks covering the structure. Players could build this to a certain height limit. The higher, the stronger

BXSDi7T.png

This last one is exactly what Tconstruct is made of. Controller, lava tank and so on...

I'm not sure if I would want a structure containing actual liquid (lifestream). Maybe just a sparkly sprinkly greenlike effect that tells the reactor is filled with mako energy?

jSIl1N6.png

Any feedback or ideas are welcomed!

This is still a request. I don't have any code lying around, I'm just pingponging ideas in my head and digesting modding tutorials.

I know what I want the mod to do. I just don't know how it should look like.

• 9 months later...

I do suggest structure #2, it's different enough yet not weirdly complex. Too bad Colored Lighting is craptastically expensive in CPU-cycles; I'd have love to see that lovely greenish-mint glow come from from the reactor.

I do suggest structure #2, it's different enough yet not weirdly complex. Too bad Colored Lighting is craptastically expensive in CPU-cycles; I'd have love to see that lovely greenish-mint glow come from from the reactor.

Doesn't integrating Colored Lighting just involve adding a method that overrides the one they patch in, if their mod is installed? Then people would see the green glow if they had Colored Lighting installed, but others wouldn't suffer the performance penalty. Everyone wins.

This sounds interesting, but in the game, the Mako reactors were primarily powerplants.

The materia was a happy side-effect. 

So, if possible, it would be nice to mimic that as well. If the modder was good enough, maybe they could tie power generation to APIs (RF and whatnot) so that it's an optional bonus.

So, if possible, it would be nice to mimic that as well. If the modder was good enough, maybe they could tie power generation to APIs (RF and whatnot) so that it's an optional bonus.

Oooh, oooh, tie it into the general biome listing so that it creates a specific variety of Materia depending on where the central part of the Reactor is placed.

We should consider leaving the obtaining Summon materias to boss-level mobs, though.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

I tried. I worked hours, searching and devouring tutorials and videos everywhere. But I could not get past the damn "Hello World"-coding. Error after error and finally real life and work dragged me away from this...

You're welcomed to give it a shot.

I've only heard from two people that would want to take this on, but I haven't heard a peep from them since...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I could try_ I haven't made any mods before; expect stupidity_ I don't know how to use any coding except for Python 2.X and Pythonista_ I will gladly work with you on this_ Go ahead and PM me whenever you want to, and we can start to flail around trying to get things to work_ But, first, some essential questions:

What version of MC do you want this to be on?

Do you want it to be friendly with Bukkit? (I wouldn't know if this is a problem or not)

What energy API would you prefer this to use?

Do you like waffles?

What compatibilities would you want this to have with which mods?

Would there be a way to contact you besides this website? I'm normally on my phone late at night_ Any messaging app would work_ Otherwise, there's not much of a way for us to both be on at the same time to brainstorm and test things_

PS:

The reason I use underscores is because my full stop button is jammed beyond repair_ Please PM me as soon as you can; I think this mod would be fun to make!