Assigned memory

AutomaticCoding

Question

I have 12GB ram and the max I can assign using you launcher is 1.5GB. I'd like to assign 5, due to the fact that MC crashes a lot on mod packs with only 1.5GB ("Minecraft has run out of memory!"), I tried modifying the value in %appdata%\.techniclauncher\launcher.properties, it works once then the program changes it back to 1GB. I tried making it read-only and then it just deleted the file and remade it... I even tried Java -Xmx5g -Xms5g -jar {file}.jar, but it just told me it was restarting and did jack.

How the f*ck do I assign more than 1.5GB?

4 answers to this question

Clearly you have a 32 bit operating system. You can't assign more than 1.5 gigs withotu a 64 bit OS.

Second of all, you don't REALLY want to stuff that much ram into java. It's memory dumping will give you hugenormous lag spikes if you do. 1.5 is fine.

Clearly you have a 32 bit operating system. You can't assign more than 1.5 gigs withotu a 64 bit OS.

Second of all, you don't REALLY want to stuff that much ram into java. It's memory dumping will give you hugenormous lag spikes if you do. 1.5 is fine.

I clearly do not have a 32 bit operating system, nor executing technic launcher VIA the 32 bit version of java.

I myself do dabble in java every so often so I would know the difference, I do have both 64 and 32 bit versions installed to debug my applications to make sure they don't fuck up on one or another. My system variable path ONLY includes the 64bit version of java, and even if I execute the technic launcher via:

C:\Users\Nicholas\Desktop>"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -jar -Xmx5g -Xms5g minecraft.jar

It will still only load with 1.5GB. Obviously, as I'm sure you'd know, 64bit programs are stored in Program files\ and 32 bits are stored in program files (86x)\.

EDIT1: I've been using 5GB ram on minecraft since alpha now, I've never once had a lag spike. I run a smooth 600ish FPS without change. However, I do lock my FPS at 600 just because I find that anything over that I can't tell the difference, I understand my monitor refresh rate is 60, but, I find 10 times to refresh rate makes is nice a smooth compared to capped at the refresh rate. May just be a placebo, but, I like it that way.

Then file that misunderstanding as a casualty of NOT USING THE BUG REPORT FORMAT.

>Opens big large book of internet misunderstandings

>"Dear big large book of internet misunderstandings,

\t\tToday \"Jay?\" misunderstood me on an internet post. This is the first time this has ever happened to me and I was quite shocked at the fact. I am not in rage however, I would just like to get this sorted out ASAP. Another thing is I would really like a nice steak pie from Gregs, or maybe a full rack of ribs with french fries and pasta from The Harvester.

Love from your friendly neborhood forum poster,

Automatic Coding.

P.S. I'm not sure if color works, so, fuck it. Posting it anyway!"

I clearly do not have a 32 bit operating system, nor executing technic launcher VIA the 32 bit version of java.

C:\Users\Nicholas\Desktop>"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -jar -Xmx5g -Xms5g minecraft.jar

That's the kind of thing you should include when you post a problem, rather than waiting for someone to tell you that it's what's wrong.

EDIT1: I've been using 5GB ram on minecraft since alpha now, I've never once had a lag spike.

Your mistake is comparing vanilla minecraft, which has a comparatively small amount of content, with technic, which has not just more content, but significantly more content that requires frequent updates. If you'd care to fill out the bug report format, someone MIGHT be able to help you.