Getting tired of restarting Hexxit server every 5 minutes...

Blockstackers

I'm not sure what's causing it, but my Hexxit server keeps crashing on a very regular basis. Regular enough as to where it's becoming such a huge pain in the ass to maintain that I'm considering just not running it anymore. Kind of disappointed that apparently mod authors still haven't gotten around to testing their code before releasing.

Now, which version of Hexxit is the most stable?

Kind of disappointing you'd jump to conclusions, make unfounded accusations and assume the crashes are the fault of the Dev team with no proof, and then have the gall to ask for help. If you have a genuine concern, go post a crash report to the Hexxit Bug Board and maybe, if you aren't an ass, you'll get some help.

Kind of disappointing that the conclusions are backed by crash report after crash report then, isn't it? Not to mention the bug report form refers to version 1.0.4 while the installed version is 1.0.5, and it seems that the entire first page of bug reports has no solutions given, so that seems a rather useless avenue to pursue then, doesn't it?

Sorry, but any time a server crashes with a null pointer exception, it means some coder didn't do a good job.

I don't know what you are doing wrong, but I have very few crashes. The one crash I am dealing with now is some kind of obscure issue that is affecting only my player data on the server, other users of the server aren't having the issue.

You still haven't provided your own crash report, in the Bug Board I linked to earlier. How do you expect anyone to do anything about the issue you are having unless you provide more than the paltry circumstantial evidence you've given so far?

The bug board only allows for version 1.0.4 to be selected, not the 1.0.5 that is currently released; on top of that, I see a lot of posts, but no solutions. Besides, how many of the (now) 20 crash reports you want, hmm? If a mod developer manages to release his module while it still throws NPE's that means said developer isn't nearly as good as he/she thinks he/she is; it's an amateurish mistake, and what's to say that a bug report filed will lead to a fix when chances are the next release of the mod will probably still be puking out NPE's?

Really, doing code right isn't rocket science.

Is this another choke Hexxit's memory and not increase PermGen problem again? I think they need a option for a modpack to increase PermGen.

[Leave the 1_0_4 off and put 1_0_5 in one of the text boxes.]

[Apparently you haven't contemplated the existential importance of one over zero. I guess it gets lost in the millions of search engine hits.]

Is this another choke Hexxit's memory and not increase PermGen problem again? I think they need a option for a modpack to increase PermGen.

[Leave the 1_0_4 off and put 1_0_5 in one of the text boxes.]

[Apparently you haven't contemplated the existential importance of one over zero. I guess it gets lost in the millions of search engine hits.]

No, this is another "check your farking return values to make sure you're not puking out NPE's" problem again.

What OS are you using? No NPE's for Windows 7.

NPE's may be caused by not having the classes in RAM, increased permgen fixes that.

NPE's may be caused by not having a large enough heap to give you a pointer, because you choked Hexxit's -xmx/max memory down.

(Windows 7)

Launcher: 1.5GB with increased PermGen.

Server: java -Xmx3G -Xms2G -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -Xincgc -jar Hexxit.jar nogui

-Xincgc is an incremental garbage collector, I'm hoping it smooths the frame rate for combat

I have the server on the same machine I connect from.

I also set B:useSimpleEntityClassnames=true to cut this out.

Sorry, but any time a server crashes with a null pointer exception, it means some coder didn't do a good job.

Do you have any idea how many coders we are talking about? I count at least 37 on http://wiki.technicpack.net/Hexxit alone, not including the mods in which a developer took over from someone else. It is, for all intents and purposes, 'rocket science' that it works at all. The Technic Dev team isn't the only developer here to point fingers at. Report an issue, and if it's something that can be investigated or sent back to the mod developer, it will be. Complaining that Hexxit is a poorly coded mess of mods isn't helpful or constructive, and pointing to other people experiencing issues is like going to a hospital in any major city and proclaiming the entire city is infected with sick people. Of course you are going to hear about crashes in a Forum designed to help people with issues. That's by design.

Dash16, I don't care if it's 37 or 100 - the fact it has an NPE that is triggered often enough to get me 20 crash reports in under an hour is an indication that not enough testing was done by the mod developer in question (betterstorage, if you must know), and that not enough testing was done by the technic dev team before rolling a release.

Sorry, but that's just amateurish at best.

I see a distinct lack of Bug reports

Some NPEs aren't the fault of the mod, but rather the set-up

Either provide bug reports (all 20 if you want, IN CODE TAGS) or leave, this topic is not productive as is

I made a bug report; and an NPE is the fault of the mod regardless since it did not check a return value to see if i was null before attempting to do something with it... and if you're now going to tell me that that's not true, then you need to be quiet and remove yourself from this thread.

I don't get 20 crashes per hour for BetterStorage. It seems to me that there is something about your setup, or the steps being taken or blocks being used in your server is causing the issue.

My oh my, quite the hostile little kite aren't you?

Perhaps you should try removing the mod from your setup entirely to make sure it doesn't cause problems again, posting a proper bug report with the necessary crash logs and THEN ask for alternate solutions in a discussions thread if the first response doesn't work out for you, instead of blatantly accusing the staff compiling these mods together and the 36 other completely unrelated developers.

So far, the only problem I had with better storage is that one of the capsules tried to connect with an inaccessible chest, but that problem has been removed. Neither have I had any crashes with this error in any of the mods.

So pipe down, shape up, and keep the tone neutral.

On a sidenote, have you, by chance, tried to remove that specific block causing the problem?

To Blockstackers:

Please remember that each individual mod, and the Hexxit modpack as a whole, are produced and given to us for free. The developers are donating their time and effort to this project, and expect nothing in return. If you are having trouble with the modpack, you can either donate your time and effort in kind, to help us (help you) fix the issue, or you can choose not to use the modpack. Nobody owes you a working server, however as a good human practice, you could at least spare the developers and our community from your hostile criticism. Thank you.

...you need to be quiet and remove yourself from this thread.

Dude, take a step back and chill

Have you tried running a new world? This is a ticking entity failure, so it's likely specific to that block

You could also try removing that chest and seeing if the crash persists

Or you can stay here, keep attacking the developer because you are having an issue and us because we are telling you you haven't done any research, you have just seen an NPE and immediately blamed the devs

seriously you pissed off one of the nicest people here, and clearly you don't code these yourself or much at all if you think that those are the only way you can get an Null pointer, shit ive had crashes from vanilla from npe's you gonna take mojang to task about it? Clearly there is something specific to YOUR setup that YOU keep crashing, most people seem to be able to run things just fine, so it isn't the mods fault, theres most likely a bad interaction, and giving nothing to go on doesn't help your case or necessitate your hostility. If better storage is your problem remove it, or complain to betterstorage, bitching here is not gonna help you.

I'll be performing some research on this problem, I have read in a thread somewhere that loading up the save in single-player and then checking the error log would give -the actual problem-, but that could just be luck or a very strange coïncidence.

I think that the reason that better dungeons nukes some of the chunks, at least from my experience, is because the chunk undergoes a hard reset for some unexplainable reason, every time I've loaded a world that had a crash like this constantly had a different type of dungeon generation per crash, untill the crashing entity was removed.

HOWEVER, it could be that the chunk is crashing BECAUSE the dungeon is being spawned in 'one of the' chest blocks which, for some reason, causes better storage to freak out, something about reïnforced chests too close to eachother thinking that they are one piece, or something similair.

Anybody else that had something like this so far?

Is there anyone with an affected world (preferably single-player compatible) with OP's particular problem that would be able to upload it 'as is' without additional mods not available in hexxit, so I might pick it apart in MCEdit and get some analytical details?

I made an account to say this:

lmao dude, it's a 100 percent free mod for a game about legos and your raging like someone just killed your mother.

P.S. Chill out, nerd.

Who is the bigger nerd? Me for expecting at least a modicum of pride in what people release, or you for especially making an account just to add your worthless 2 cents?

Hmm...

It is indeed an issue with the instability of Hexxit. Multiple servers have had the constant crashing every 2-6minutesish issue and the only fix is upgrading the server to 1.0.5, and disabling Better Dungeons temporarily.

It's 1.0.5 already, has been since that update was released. It's also not better dungeons but better storage. but hey.

Problem resolved by resetting the map; for as long as that will last. And yes, it pisses me off that so far every bloody Forge modded server pack has been a bug-ridden unstable heap of junk. Not exclusive to Hexxit or Tekkit, FTB also has the same problems. Oh, yeah, same mods too. Never mind...

Hidden

OP, quit your bitching if you're just going to complain and not be cooperative. you've got at least 2 people in this thread trying to help you, despite your attitude. "it's totally crashing every 2 picoseconds" isn't really enough info to make a diagnosis with.

so post some logs, or get bent. it's up to you.