(almost) No sound when using launcher [Workaround Found]

immense

When I launch vanilla MC I have 100% working sound. When I use the Technic launcher I only hear animal sounds (no matter what pack I play). No digging noise, no GUI sounds etc..

I have been searching the forums for about an hour trying various things (such as F3+S to reset sounds & syncing up my assets folder with the vanilla install version) but have not been successful in solving the problem.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I have a hunch this issue is related to the LWJGL version being used. I downgraded the version however the technic launcher keeps upgrading it when I launch (even when I rename the files to match). I am guessing that the launcher uses MD5 to determine if the file has changed and if so, replaces it with the "correct" version.

Does anyone know how to prevent the Technic client from doing this?

Ok this was an assets issue with sound files.. Either amazon is having trouble pushing them out to me or the launcher is derping.

Here is how to workaround:

1. Download http://www.mediafire.com/download/0zgbsno2gooreo3/MCAssets.rar

2. Add the contents of this rar file to your .technic\assets directory (directory names are sounds, sound, records, music, lang & icons).

This should work around the issue.. It's not perfect since I don't know what other sound files are missing but it will do for now..

happen to me every time, cant figure out where it comes from, possibly Technic Launcher cause original MC one is working fine. (Win7 in general, on x84 and x64)

But thats was I wanted to show you :)

Thanks! Your post & a subsequent error log message are what finally allowed me to "fix" this.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, this is not a FIX you can apply yourself.... This needs to be updated with the launcher itself.

But its the reason why its broke (as far as I can tell)

Technic Launcher FORCES the 2.9.0 version of the Java Light Weight Game Loader (jlwgl.dll) and all its associated files....

It force overwrites it every time it launches the game. (I went to an extent to try to prevent overwrites, and if I got it not to overwrite it simply halted game launches and wouldn't start) It downloads and forces this 2.9.0 version to vanilla minecraft, all modpacks, tekkit, voltz, the big dig... everything.

2.9.0 was a junk version, it didn't work on a large handful of systems for the audio, its why we don't have working sounds!

Verify for yourself! Go download the real vanilla minecraft 1.7.4 from mojang, use their launcher, and then after it loads and audio DOES work, check the file versions of the jlwgl in the folders there, they are running 2.9.1

Can we PHUuuuuuLEEEEEeeeeeaaaase get the technic launcher to run 2.9.1 instead of 2.9.0 !!?!!?

it'll make all of us no-sound whiners really happy.

It changes absolutely nothing that might break the game as far as I know... However I do know that it fixes the audio.

OK, this is not a FIX you can apply yourself.... This needs to be updated with the launcher itself.

But its the reason why its broke (as far as I can tell)

Technic Launcher FORCES the 2.9.0 version of the Java Light Weight Game Loader (jlwgl.dll) and all its associated files....

It force overwrites it every time it launches the game. (I went to an extent to try to prevent overwrites, and if I got it not to overwrite it simply halted game launches and wouldn't start) It downloads and forces this 2.9.0 version to vanilla minecraft, all modpacks, tekkit, voltz, the big dig... everything.

2.9.0 was a junk version, it didn't work on a large handful of systems for the audio, its why we don't have working sounds!

Verify for yourself! Go download the real vanilla minecraft 1.7.4 from mojang, use their launcher, and then after it loads and audio DOES work, check the file versions of the jlwgl in the folders there, they are running 2.9.1

Can we PHUuuuuuLEEEEEeeeeeaaaase get the technic launcher to run 2.9.1 instead of 2.9.0 !!?!!?

it'll make all of us no-sound whiners really happy.

It changes absolutely nothing that might break the game as far as I know... However I do know that it fixes the audio.

"[06:00:53 INFO]: Client> 2014-01-05 06:00:53 [iNFO] [Minecraft-Client] LWJGL Version: 2.9.0"

right off the default client running unmodded 1.6.4

Hey, made an account as I have the same problem, no sound at all when I try to play Moonquest, though I haven't tried the other packs.

I downloaded the file posted above but when I went into my assets folder there were not any sound files of any sort, just a couple called avatars and packs. I dropped the file in there anyways and it didn't work.

I read what Lathan posted above, did some digging around and found that in the cache folder, there is another called "org" which has a file called "lwjgl", sure enough the files within were at 2.9.0 as he said they were. I downloaded a file for a 2.9.1 lwjgl(found here: http://lwjgl.org/download.php ) and tried replacing them but when I loaded the game the files were reverted back to the original 2.9.0.

I don't know if this will be found helpful by anyone but I thought it was worth posting, I'm tired of Creepers silently creeping up from behind :/