[1.6.4] No vanilla sounds on any modpacks 1.6.x

NRASean

Question

Launcher Version: 377

Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Java Version: Java 7 Update 45 b18 x64

Antivirus Program: Avast

Description of Problem:

When I'm playing any 1.6.x I'm not getting any vanilla sounds played at all (no menu clicks, block breaking sounds etc.) but the custom sounds work (for mekanism machines for example).

(this happens with multiple modpacks so I suspect it is a problem with technic launcher)

Also when I play minecraft vanilla 1.6.4 the sounds work fine.

I tried searching the forums but the suggested fixes just haven't worked.

My friend has tried the same modpacks as well though and says his sound works fine, so I can only assume it's an issue with my computer and/or technic.

Things ive tried:

+ updated sound drivers (RealTek rtkvhd64)

+ updated java (I'm running Version 7 Update 45 (64bit) (build 1.7.0_45-b18) on Windows 7 x64)

+ removed mods

+ copied vanilla assets folder into /modpack_folder/bin/assets/ and /modpack_folder/assets/

+ removed "slick-util.jar" from mods folder

+ tried other "1.6.4" modpacks on the technic launcher website and i don't get any sounds on those either (sound worked fine on previous 1.5.2 versions)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I try anything else I will try to update this post with more information.

Thanks!

Error Messages:

My log is here: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7996812

Error Log:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7996812

17 answers to this question

Having the same issue here.

LGM for 1.6.4 won't download any resources but switching back to 1.5.2 it does without any issues.

Vanilla won't either unless it is set to 1.5.2. Setting it back to 1.6.4 or 1.7.2 after it downloaded the resource files it won't use them and the game remains mute.

Vanilla MC:

console for 1.5.2 - works

Starting up SoundSystem...

Initializing LWJGL OpenAL

(The LWJGL binding of OpenAL.  For more information, see http://www.lwjgl.org)

[LWJGL] getPathFromClassLoader: searching for: OpenAL32

[LWJGL] Failed to locate findLibrary method: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.findLibrary(java.lang.String)

[LWJGL] Failed to locate findLibrary method: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: java.net.URLClassLoader.findLibrary(java.lang.String)

[LWJGL] Failed to locate findLibrary method: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: java.security.SecureClassLoader.findLibrary(java.lang.String)

[LWJGL] getPathFromClassLoader: searching for: lwjgl

[LWJGL] Failed to locate findLibrary method: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.findLibrary(java.lang.String)

[LWJGL] Failed to locate findLibrary method: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: java.net.URLClassLoader.findLibrary(java.lang.String)

[LWJGL] Failed to locate findLibrary method: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: java.security.SecureClassLoader.findLibrary(java.lang.String)

[LWJGL] getPathFromClassLoader: searching for: lwjgl

[LWJGL] Found 8 OpenAL paths

[LWJGL] Testing 'C:\Users\Rabbit\AppData\Roaming\.technic\modpacks\vanilla\bin\natives\OpenAL64.dll'

[LWJGL] Found OpenAL at 'C:\Users\Rabbit\AppData\Roaming\.technic\modpacks\vanilla\bin\natives\OpenAL64.dll'

OpenAL initialized.

console for 1.6.4 - doesn't

2013-12-18 23:23:45 [CLIENT] [iNFO] LWJGL Version: 2.9.0

javax.imageio.IIOException: Can't read input file!

at javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(Unknown Source)

at atv.a(SourceFile:418)

at atv.O(SourceFile:274)

at atv.d(SourceFile:599)

at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:101)

2013-12-18 23:23:45 [CLIENT] [iNFO] Reloading ResourceManager: Default

Starting up SoundSystem...

OpenAL initialized.

console for 1.7.2 - doesn't either

[23:32:43] [Client thread/INFO]: LWJGL Version: 2.9.0

[23:32:43] [Client thread/ERROR]: Couldn't set icon

at javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_45]

at azd.a(SourceFile:500) ~[minecraft.jar:?]

at azd.Z(SourceFile:340) [minecraft.jar:?]

at azd.e(SourceFile:689) [minecraft.jar:?]

at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:103) [minecraft.jar:?]

[23:32:43] [Client thread/INFO]: Reloading ResourceManager: Default Starting up SoundSystem...

OpenAL initialized.

[23:26:22] [Client thread/INFO]: Created: 512x256 textures/blocks-atlas

[23:26:22] [Client thread/INFO]: Created: 256x256 textures/items-atlas

[23:26:22] [sound Library Loader/INFO]: Sound engine started

[23:26:27] [Client thread/WARN]: Unable to play unknown soundEvent: minecraft:music.menu

[23:26:45] [Client thread/WARN]: Unable to play unknown soundEvent: minecraft:music.menu

[23:27:01] [Client thread/WARN]: Unable to play unknown soundEvent: minecraft:music.menu

Is LWJGL causing the issue?

The default MC launcher is using 2.9.1:

[23:29:00 INFO]: Client> [23:29:00] [Client thread/INFO]: LWJGL Version: 2.9.1

[23:29:00 INFO]: Client> [23:29:00] [Client thread/INFO]: Reloading ResourceManager: Default

[23:29:00 INFO]: Client>

[23:29:00 INFO]: Client> Starting up SoundSystem...

[23:29:00 INFO]: Client> Initializing LWJGL OpenAL

[23:29:00 INFO]: Client>    (The LWJGL binding of OpenAL.  For more information, see http://www.lwjgl.org)

[23:29:00 INFO]: Client> OpenAL initialized.

[23:29:01 INFO]: Client>

[23:29:01 INFO]: Client> [23:29:01] [sound Library Loader/INFO]: Sound engine started

Copying the 2.9.1 version inside the library doesn't work, deleting 2.9.0 and it will just re-download it, editing the version.json file to disallow 2.9.0 also doesn't work - re-downloading.

Thought I'm not even sure that the older version is the actual issue.

Solution

What the problem was:

It's the launcher not updated to the asset system change, not us.

The launcher is supposed to mount .minecraft/assets/virtual/legacy as the assets folder. I'm sticking to my guns and saying your launcher needs an update.

How to Fix:

The solution was that I had to copy the contents from "<minecraft>/assets/virtual/legacy" into "<minecraft>/assets". The "<minecraft>" being your appropriate minecraft support folder like ".minecraft".

Instead of copying it into .minecraft/assets you copy it into .technic/assets. C;

yeah the only problem I have with this is .minecraft\assest\virtual folder dose not exists for me. Help?

can someone at least provide where the sound is located in the newest version of minecraft so I can then copy and paste the vanilla sounds into technic >.<

Do you use the latest (1.3.7) launcher? It should just download them.

In the "read-me" it says:

Everything in this folder that does not belong here will be deleted.

This folder will be kept sync with the Launcher at every run.

Or it should at least be in assets, I think.

All the stuff you need to copy:

jf4e.png

yeah the only problem I have with this is .minecraft\assest\virtual folder dose not exists for me. Help?

can someone at least provide where the sound is located in the newest version of minecraft so I can then copy and paste the vanilla sounds into technic >.<

Have you started the vanilla launcher, done a 1.6.4 profile and run it once? You need to do that first so that the files are downloaded.

iv put the .minecraft\assest\virtual folder in the .technic\assest\ folder, but their is still no sound for me. (im playing moonquest(or trying) is their something that I am missing or is the moonquest just not workable with this issue (if you are wondering) its 1.6.4) I don't know what to do, I have tried taking 1.5.2 resources and put it in moonquest's resources and still no sound (I got rid of them) but im stuck on this and all other 1.6.4 mod packs still get no sound. but I put the .minecraft\assest\virtural in the .technic\assest folder, so im just stuck and don't know what to try.

iv put the .minecraft\assest\virtual folder in the .technic\assest\ folder, but their is still no sound for me. (im playing moonquest(or trying) is their something that I am missing or is the moonquest just not workable with this issue (if you are wondering) its 1.6.4) I don't know what to do, I have tried taking 1.5.2 resources and put it in moonquest's resources and still no sound (I got rid of them) but im stuck on this and all other 1.6.4 mod packs still get no sound. but I put the .minecraft\assest\virtural in the .technic\assest folder, so im just stuck and don't know what to try.

You are supposed to put the folders that inside .minecraft/assets/virtual/ into .technic/assets/.

Not the virtual folder itself.

Yes, the contents (see picture above) from .minecraft\assest\virtual\legacy go into .technic\assest\.

Just chiming in on this as I have the same issues as well. The fix above did work, seems this is a launcher bug.

Edit: Log from me starting 1.7.2 vanilla with a fresh install of the latest technic launcher (377)

[05:20:39] [Client thread/INFO]: LWJGL Version: 2.9.0

[05:20:39] [Client thread/ERROR]: Couldn't set icon

at javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_25]

at azd.a(SourceFile:500) ~[minecraft.jar:?]

at azd.Z(SourceFile:340) [minecraft.jar:?]

at azd.e(SourceFile:689) [minecraft.jar:?]

at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:103) [minecraft.jar:?]

[05:20:39] [Client thread/INFO]: Reloading ResourceManager: Default

[05:20:40] [Client thread/INFO]: Created: 512x256 textures/blocks-atlas

[05:20:40] [sound Library Loader/INFO]: Sound engine started

[05:20:40] [Client thread/INFO]: Created: 256x256 textures/items-atlas

[05:20:42] [Client thread/WARN]: Unable to play unknown soundEvent: minecraft:gui.button.press

[05:20:42] [Client thread/WARN]: Unable to play unknown soundEvent: minecraft:gui.button.press

[05:20:43] [Client thread/WARN]: Unable to play unknown soundEvent: minecraft:gui.button.press

[05:20:43] [Client thread/INFO]: Stopping!

Solution

What the problem was:

How to Fix:

Instead of copying it into .minecraft/assets you copy it into .technic/assets. C;

Thank you!!! I've sat here and scoured the internet for a couple hours now, cursing at my computer, and this is finally what fixed it. You're currently my favorite person ever.