Things That This Mod Pack Needs

Rakarth

So, been playing around with this mod pack, and the one thing I noticed that annoyed me to no end was the fact there is Thermal Expansion, yet the modpack lacks Buildcraft. As far as I'm aware the ONLY way to generate power is through the Dynamos (Engines W/e.) and through the solar panels/Coal generators through Galacticraft. And the amount of power the Thermal expansion machines use is insane! It's extremely hard to keep them powered through the night, and until you can actually set up the infinite lava and Dynamo battery which makes it stupidly frustrating! So, here's a small list of things that need to be added to make this mod pack feel more complete, and fix the machine problem with the current machine set already in the mod pack.

What Should Be Added:

* Buildcraft, IC2 and/or some other power generation mod that makes it much less of a hassle to store/generate power.

* A mod that goes along with some of the more useless items in the modpack, for example a steam engine with no way of getting steam...

* Forestry..... EDIT: For trees, and bees mainly.

* Thaumcraft - Reason behind that is... you guys have already put magic in the game..... Why not top it off?

* Also, a better storage system.... At least the Iron Chests mod please.

Anyway, that's just what I think should be added to make this mod pack more well rounded, and to eliminate the more useless items in the already in place machine mods, because honestly...... Steam engines/Steam Generators with no steam? Wtf?

EDIT: Been reading all your comments, and most of you I can agree with, others not, but meh. Main reason behind BC2 is I want fillers and such so it makes it easier to build... After all I'd rather be building rather than sitting there clearing land all day... Even with tinkers construct it's a pain in the arse. Reason behind forestry, mainly for the trees, to add more variation to them (Yes I'm aware what Biomes o' plenty adds...) Also, it would be nice to have power that I wouldn't have to constantly watch, and power that saves coal, wood, and other things I have PLENTY of other uses for. For Bibliocraft, yeah that would be really nice to add.

@Canvox: I'm not saying i can't play the game without them, I'm just saying these would be some nice things to have for multiple things, new experience or not..... If it's one thing I hate in minecraft... It's clearing land manually. That, and if you look at the yogscast "Moonquest" they have these really nice wind turbines which would be nice, considering there's no other modpack I know of that have them. In terms of energy storage, not talking about late in the tech tree, talking about earlier on in the tech tree.

Edited by Rakarth

So, been playing around with this mod pack, and the one thing I noticed that annoyed me to no end was the fact there is Thermal Expansion, yet the modpack lacks Buildcraft. As far as I'm aware the ONLY way to generate power is through the Dynamos (Engines W/e.) and through the solar panels/Coal generators through Galacticraft. And the amount of power the Thermal expansion machines use is insane! It's extremely hard to keep them powered through the night, and until you can actually set up the infinite lava and Dynamo battery which makes it stupidly frustrating! So, here's a small list of things that need to be added to make this mod pack feel more complete, and fix the machine problem with the current machine set already in the mod pack.

What Should Be Added:

* Buildcraft, IC2 and/or some other power generation mod that makes it much less of a hassle to store/generate power.

* A mod that goes along with some of the more useless items in the modpack, for example a steam engine with no way of getting steam...

* Forestry..... 

* Thaumcraft - Reason behind that is... you guys have already put magic in the game..... Why not top it off?

* Also, a better storage system.... At least the Iron Chests mod please.

Anyway, that's just what I think should be added to make this mod pack more well rounded, and to eliminate the more useless items in the already in place machine mods, because honestly...... Steam engines/Steam Generators with no steam? Wtf?

I disagree on every point. BC has some neat things...gates in particular but its energy storage (none) and generation are silly and behind the times. IC2 was nice once upon a time, but has become tedious and stale.

The steam dynamo creates its own steam, Just add coal/charcoal and water!

Forestry outside of Gregtech and IC2 is the definition of tedious. Besides, MFR can handle all of your automated farming needs.

Thaumcraft, again tedious and lacking a lot of the things in older versions that made the mod fun.

Iron chests is a great mod, but the Thermal Expansion strongboxes are pretty close, and better suited to SMP play.

This modpack obviously isn't a tech pack, and I like that it showcases a lot of lesser known and less established mods. The inbred Forgecraft scene needs a little shaking up imho.

It saddens me to read topics like this. I honestly could not have hated FTB more, and it was all down to the mods written above. 

Thermal Expansion and MFR offer a complete (anything is possible) and well balanced (no ridiculous Forestry vacuum tubes) tech solution, People should count themselves lucky they even get there, and move on to appreciate the finer art of the game.

Ways to generate power through TE:

- Steam Dynamo: Takes water & solid fuel (wood, coal, etc.)

- Compression Dynamo: Takes water & liquid fuel (oil, refined fuel, etc.) - galacticraft oil & refined fuel should work in this!

- Magmatic Dynamo: Takes Lava

Ways to generate power through MFR:

- Biofuel Generator: Takes BioFuel (created by stuffing plant matter into a BioReactor)

And there's solar panels & coal generators in Galacticraft, but I haven't tried those personally.

And of course, TE provides some of the best energy storage & transmission to ever be put into minecraft, so I'm not sure I understand the argument that we need more of that, really.

For storage, there are DSUs, and Thermex Strongboxes, as well as I think something in Open Blocks I can't remember.  Some have asked if that's enough, and there's an open thread for people to offer feedback on that ('?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>).  

As for specific mod requests, I never respond well when people who don't know how to play without X mod and so demand it be in every pack.  B-Team is supposed to be a new experience, it doesn't have to have the same mods you always play with.

MFR kicks butt, I don't know why forestgrind would ever be high on somebody's priority list. I really wish you did give more than "..." because I really want to know. It's always felt like it makes much more work than it relieves you of.

Thaumcraft is very insulated from any other mod. It would overshadow Witchery and everything else. Instead of playing "Attack of the B-Team" you'd be playing "Thaumcraft and some other things".

I do agree about the power generation problem. I would adore this pack if it had bigreactors and computercraft to manage them.

Iron Chests might be nice. With the resource abundance, the materials for Strongboxes aren't so hard to come by though and I hear they have quite good storage.

Final note, I would like biplanes added to Flan's mod. The parts are there taunting me, but I can't put them together.

Edited by MrBRAD

MFR kicks butt, I don't know why forestgrind would ever be high on somebody's priority list. I really wish you did give more than "..." because I really want to know. It's always felt like it makes much more work than it relieves you of.

Thaumcraft is very insulated from any other mod. It would overshadow Witchery and everything else. Instead of playing "Attack of the B-Team" you'd be playing "Thaumcraft and some other things".

I do agree about the power generation problem. I would adore this pack if it had bigreactors and computercraft to manage them.

Iron Chests might be nice. With the resource abundance, the materials for Strongboxes aren't so hard to come by though and I hear they have quite good storage.

Final note, I would like biplanes added to Flan's mod. The parts are there taunting me, but I can't put them together.

Big Reactors is something we've wanted to add since the beginning, but I keep waiting for a stable v3 version to bring it up.  The new version has redstone interfaces, how about big reactors & PRCs to manage them?

I am overjoyed there is no BC in this modpack, only thing I miss is the pump but I understand that will be added to thermal expansion in the future so I am happy to wait.

Storage well honestly I miss my AE but I am not sure if I would want it here, iron chests could fit the build or we could have something to handle stuff like the barrels mod for those few items you need to stockpile a lot of.  There is so much of this pack which I have not totally explored but it has been extremely enjoyable so far.

I agree with the power generation.

Either we need some way to pump lava from the Nether (also useful for Tinkers Construct, I suppose) or BigReactors.

But beyond that, I am quite happy with the way the modpack is set up.

It's just as crazy as Hexxit, but in a more fun oriented crazy way; it's just as techy as Tekkit, but it does so by going the mad science route instead of the industrial giant way.

I'd like BiblioCraft and for a Pump I'd like Extra Utilities Pump or for something different perhaps Mekanism?

I was missing Applied Energistics and Iron Chests the most, but have worked around it pretty well. I've been using DSU's, lots of wooden chests and Project Red Transportation Pipes. I haven't bothered to setup a power system yet, as I have been using the Tinker's Smeltery for all my ore processing.

I really like Project Red Transportation Pipes a bit less tedious than Logistics Pipes.

I disagree on every point. BC has some neat things...gates in particular but its energy storage (none) and generation are silly and behind the times. IC2 was nice once upon a time, but has become tedious and stale.

The steam dynamo creates its own steam, Just add coal/charcoal and water!

Forestry outside of Gregtech and IC2 is the definition of tedious. Besides, MFR can handle all of your automated farming needs.

Thaumcraft, again tedious and lacking a lot of the things in older versions that made the mod fun.

Iron chests is a great mod, but the Thermal Expansion strongboxes are pretty close, and better suited to SMP play.

This modpack obviously isn't a tech pack, and I like that it showcases a lot of lesser known and less established mods. The inbred Forgecraft scene needs a little shaking up imho.

BC also adds Fillers and Builders (only in the latest 1.7 version tho) which are simply awsum.

And Thaumcraft 4 has changed and is less tedious now, Azanor (the dev) is making lots of changes to make you explore more and such. Btw, Golems <3

But sadly you don't simply get TC4 (or Forestry, Gregtech or IC²) in your public modpack :L

• Moderators

But sadly you don't simply get TC4 (or Forestry, Gregtech or IC²) in your public modpack :L

You know that Azanor has changed his stance on modpacks? Public packs are okay for him, as long as a few conditions are met. Reasonable ones

Munaus, on 17 Feb 2014 - 7:10 PM, said:

You know that Azanor has changed his stance on modpacks? Public packs are okay for him, as long as a few conditions are met. Reasonable ones

Nice, didn't notice that...

In Hexxit 2 maybe? :P

• Moderators

Eh, I doubt it. The idea with Hexxit is not only discovering some new mods we never heard about but also using many or few stuff of those mods to achieve your raiding goals.

With TC4 the thing you're gonna do is TC4. Nothing else. You might aswell play that mod alone instead of playing a pack

Edit. aaand I forgot which section I was in... Don't mind me, I'm just gonna sit here in the corner and ask that lonely freak kid if he can borrow some of those crayons...

Edited by Munaus

I really like Attack of the B-team, and play it every nighte with the homies atm. So many wacky things to do. If I was to add one thing, it would be a more ballanced progression in the game for server use.

I'm playing mp and this is my first real try with a modpack. Until now I've been running a vanilla server. Around 2 years.

I love starting over in minecraft - fresh map, new start, seeing if I can make it with out dying, building a small base, and then bigger with all the neat stuff. A steady progression from setler with nothing to castle owner. Later in the game it's cool if the gameplay comes closer to creative in the sence that you can fly and easily get lot's of goods.

But in ABT you can fly as soon as you kill a bat, and if you summon minions, well you hardly ever need to mine either. These things you can do from the very start. I love both features, but they are to over powered and to easy to get in my view. If they consumed some expensive resource, or hard to achive gear, that would be better.

I want to voice my support for Bibliocraft. Them bookshelves and things are too damn pretty and useful not to have, and the mod doesn't overlap or overshadow anything.  I'd love a Record Rack to hold all the great Tropicraft music.

Big Reactors is something we've wanted to add since the beginning, but I keep waiting for a stable v3 version to bring it up.  The new version has redstone interfaces, how about big reactors & PRCs to manage them?

Sounds great!

I really like Attack of the B-team, and play it every nighte with the homies atm. So many wacky things to do. If I was to add one thing, it would be a more ballanced progression in the game for server use.

I'm playing mp and this is my first real try with a modpack. Until now I've been running a vanilla server. Around 2 years.

I love starting over in minecraft - fresh map, new start, seeing if I can make it with out dying, building a small base, and then bigger with all the neat stuff. A steady progression from setler with nothing to castle owner. Later in the game it's cool if the gameplay comes closer to creative in the sence that you can fly and easily get lot's of goods.

But in ABT you can fly as soon as you kill a bat, and if you summon minions, well you hardly ever need to mine either. These things you can do from the very start. I love both features, but they are to over powered and to easy to get in my view. If they consumed some expensive resource, or hard to achive gear, that would be better.

You may be happy to learn that in morph's cfg you can limit when you are able to learn to fly. You can set it to require having been to the nether, and I think the second limit you can set is needing to have killed a wither. Don't quote me on that second one though. There are a few other cool settings too, like how well morphing into a mob will disguise you.

Edited by MrBRAD

A pump of any sort would be nice, but it wouldnt do you much good unless you, A: Had your base in the same chunk as the lava source, or B: we had chunkloaders.

Well, other than the Ender-thermic pump which acts as a chunkloader on its own.

But yea, after playing this since public release that's the only major drawback I have come across.   Other things are easily worked around, but using buckets to fill tanks, then moving tanks to the base, gets quite old quite fast lol.

• 6 months later...

A pump of any sort would be nice, but it wouldnt do you much good unless you, A: Had your base in the same chunk as the lava source, or B: we had chunkloaders.

Well, other than the Ender-thermic pump which acts as a chunkloader on its own.

But yea, after playing this since public release that's the only major drawback I have come across.   Other things are easily worked around, but using buckets to fill tanks, then moving tanks to the base, gets quite old quite fast lol.

its a old topic, however you should know that MFR has a chunkloader (VERY VERY VERY expensive)