BCAMC

I am needing help with starting in the Big Dig modpack. I'm not exactly a noob when it comes to these technical modpacks, I've played a good deal of Tekkit and other packs, but I've never really reached the high-tier section of the game. I am having trouble deciding where to start, there is so much I could do. I've done some basic mining, got a pulverizer and powered furnace from TE powered by three steam engines and an aqueous accumulator, and I'm currently working on building a small castle-like building to set-up shop in. 

What is the next best way I can generate power with? I don't like having to blow a ton of coal with the engines, but it seems to me that my next option (magmatic engines?) would require a bit more work to get started. I know that resource gathering isn't a problem in Big Dig, but there's just so many resources, I tend to get lost amongst the ores, engines, machines, pipes, cables, tanks, farms, etc...

I also don't know what my goals should be at this point. Should I set up a charcoal factory for my engines using a MFR tree farm? Should I start working on biofuel for some biogas engines? Should I get into bees? Do I even need a quarry this early? What mod is the best choice for ore processing? When do I need to start an AE storage system? Would Magical Crops be helpful to me this early? What are the uses of Mekanism? Should I attempt to use Tinkerers Construct? Are there other mods that can help me that I don't even know about? I read on the forums about some universal solar power in Big Dig, are those a viable option? Modular Powersuits...?

While I have many ideas, I can't start many of them until I am more established. I'm completely lost. There is a rather pathetic amount of information on the Big Dig wiki. I myself would try contributing to it, but I'm far too novice at the moment. Maybe I'm just too impatient. I'm basically asking for a guide to help with moving on after the initial world start-up.

Thanks!

P.S.

I apologize for the noobish ranting, but I am in great need of somebody to point me in the right direction.  :keke::rant:  :(

Edited by BCAMC

Well, I kind of had the same problem until a moment ago when I realized how easy I could make power. Just setup two pumps in the nether and a magmatic engine connected to each other and hook up an ender tank to the system to take up the exra lava and then just setup another endertank in the overworld and easily power everything with lava!

PS Remeber to setup a Dimension Anchor to load the chunks at the pumps

Well, I kind of had the same problem until a moment ago when I realized how easy I could make power. Just setup two pumps in the nether and a magmatic engine connected to each other and hook up an ender tank to the system to take up the exra lava and then just setup another endertank in the overworld and easily power everything with lava!

Wouldn't liquid tesseracts work better? Or are they less efficient?

I Bet the liquid tesseracts are better but the ender tank is way more than enough and in my oppinion cheaper.

"As a note, in single player it is impossible to use dimensional anchors or other chunk-loaders to load other dimensions such as the Nether or the End. This is a problem with Minecraft and not with Tekkit."

-From Tekkit Classic's wiki, I'd assume this also applies to Big Dig.

"As a note, in single player it is impossible to use dimensional anchors or other chunk-loaders to load other dimensions such as the Nether or the End. This is a problem with Minecraft and not with Tekkit."

hmmm, Well I'm playing on a server but I guess you could test that out because I've seen youtubers use them.

It does not. Tekkit Classic runs on a very old version of Minecraft, anything from that wiki is irrelevant. Edited by dwwojcik

It does not. Tekkit Classic runs on a very old version of Minecraft, anything from that wiki is irrelevant.

Okay thanks. :) I think I've got ideas for my power figured out now. I'm planning on making a redstone energy cell, being filled by magmatic engines which are receiving lava via Ender Tank (& Dimensional Anchor). 

What should I do now..?

Tested this in a creative map, works marvelously. Only problem I had was my nether magmatic engines kept jamming up. Perhaps redstone engines would work better in this case? I had 14 magmatic engines fully supplied with lava in the overworld, plus a 27 block dynamic tank being filled at a rather rapid speed. Power problems = Solved

Edit: 21 overworld magmatic engines  :parrot: And that's with only one pump!

Edited by BCAMC

Tested this in a creative map, works marvelously. Only problem I had was my nether magmatic engines kept jamming up. Perhaps redstone engines would work better in this case? I had 14 magmatic engines fully supplied with lava in the overworld, plus a 27 block dynamic tank being filled at a rather rapid speed. Power problems = Solved

Edit: 21 overworld magmatic engines  :parrot: And that's with only one pump!

Yeah this is a little bit of a problem but just put some redstone energy conduit between the pump and the magma engine and it shouldn't jam up

Edited by ZlingerZ