Easy Automatic Infinite Dye Setup

gremlinclr

Hey guys. So I'm building a new base and I'm going to try to make it as automated as possible using ProjectRed pipes. So to do that I need a metric asston of Lumar which means lots of dyes and glowstone.

The glowstone is easy, I've got a 4 spawner witch farm. But the dye is another story. I thought about making a flower farm or something but looking thorugh NEI I found a couple of interesting recipes.

If you place dyed wool in a pulverizer you get 4 string plus a 25% chance of getting the dye itself. So you get roughly 16 dye from 1 stack of colored wool. Now dyeing wool in vanilla is 1 dye + 1 wool but (I think a mod adds this?) there's another recipe that allows you to dye 8 wool at once by surrounding a dye in the crafting table.

So for those following along at home. 1 stack of colored wool costs 8 dye but you get about 16 dye if you pulverize that stack of wool.

Now here comes the interesting part. Take the 4 string you got and pipe it to a cyclic assembler and have it use the following recipe. 4 string = 1 white wool.

So basically you can just keep redyeing the same wool and sending it through the pulverizer, doubling your dye everytime.

So here's the setup:

xfuej8.jpg

The lower cyclic assembler turns the string back into wool and sends it to the upper cyclic assembler to be redyed and piped back to the pulverizer. This setup only does one color at a time. It's not the fastest thing in the world but like I said I'm building a new base so this can just run in the background while I'm doing other stuff.

And I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with this but I thought I'd post it anyway. It might help someone out.

yo I was having issues with this earlier too, then I realized u can use the dyed saplings in all of these recepies

so you could instead make a tree farm for the dyed saplings, and then use the wood to fuel a steam dynamo rig as well

I saw you can dye saplings, but what does that do? Can you plant the dyed saplings and when you break the tree, do dyes or dyed saplings fall?

no, you find saplings (e.g., red-stained saplings) from trees scattered around the world.  Grow them and harvest them to get increasing number of saplings which can be used for dye (at least in the RedPower recipes).

Okay, thanks. As much as i've played this modpack i didn't realize that those stained trees dropped stained saplings haha I figured it was just oak saplings. Thanks!

the wood ends up coming out variable -- sometimes jungle, sometimes oak, etc.  It's an interesting dynamic.  In any case, I'm in the middle of setting up my own automated dye/tree farm.

I love the idea of sharing creative solutions, but i'm not a fan of posting pictures with other texturepacks than the default one.

Why?

Because not everyone knows what machine is where in those pictures until he get the TP for himself and compares the machines he build with the picture.

But anyways: great setup and investigating!

Don't use the stained trees in the planters just yet, they're twitchy when used in MFR machines and cause crashes for some people.

If you're not in a huge rush then remember that you can dye sheep directly and they'll grow back the coloured wool, so if you set up a bunch of small coloured sheep farms which shear automatically you can get a lot of dyes that way as an alternative.

• 6 months later...

yo I was having issues with this earlier too, then I realized u can use the dyed saplings in all of these recepies

so you could instead make a tree farm for the dyed saplings, and then use the wood to fuel a steam dynamo rig as well

True. However, this is more compact and much faster to setup. If you wanted the tree farm route, you would have to do a lot more work... 

Not to help drag out an old subject but for those that find it... Your right or at least from what I have seen and heard the dye drop is gone. 

As for the dyes and trees, I have been very effectively collecting them, when i first started tree farming I ended up using a colored sapling as it was what was around me. Since then the tree farm has become rather large and automated. At any time i have 9 separate colors out there being farmed for wood and then just using the saplings thru a unifier to create the vanilla dyes. The tree farm itself could be more efficient as all the trees are separated from each other (as they grow between birch jungle and oak) but this isnt an issue with planters and harvesters honestly. At this point just about everything is being kept in deep storage and the game is becoming very automated (thankfully) so there has to be 250k plus of each dye. Periodically i will change the saplings in the planter to vary what is being stored but there is certainly no need to want for dye on the map.