[1.7.10] Remain in Motion - Continuation of Redstone in Motion

planetguy

Interesting. Would be cool to see if warded blocks can be moved, however if its calculated by mining time I would assume that it would eat all the power as it is unbreakable. Thanks again, hopefully RemainIM will make it into some of the bigger modpacks so it can gain exposure. Was a shame that RiM didn't get into the FTB packs because jakj and some of the FTB devs disliked each other as it's such a great mod, may have a better chance of getting into the packs with the RF support and you taking over temporarily. Will probably post this in the FTB subreddit to gain some attention if that's alright by you.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, go ahead. I'm not much of a publicist myself.

It probably can move warded blocks, since it happily moves any tile entity. If they're really hard to mine it will be very costly to move on hardcore mode, though with it off (default) it'll be free, just like moving anything else.

I notice that the KnownIssues file mentions that portal spawners should eventually be fixed, although I think this was written by jakj from the original mod... I'm curious as to why they don't work when they did with RedPower frames? Anyway, if its a case of you knowing what the problem is but it not being a priority, I'd be willing to take a look at the code myself (I'm not great with java but I could give it a go :P).

I don't know why portal spawners don't work with carriages. (Heck, I don't know how they work without carriages, either.) My guess would be that if they can create portals, the portals are linked to somewhere in absolute block coordinates, but I'm not sure.

turtles too the rescue.  Seen a work around using turtles.  Works with mystcraft portals, ars magica portals, and might work with other portal spawners.  After the move, have the key block for the portal automatically broken and then placed again by the turtle(or the book removed and placed again in the case of mystcraft).  resets the portal and allows it to operate once more.

Not sure if this is the same issue your mentioning with portal spawners though.

Why does it matter? jakj didn't prevent you from making a pack on/using the FTB launcher with RiM in it and planetguy won't either since he kept the license the same.

I was using the turm "issues" very politly. I don't know what the hole story is only that jakj said things well beyond the bounds of what even the internet will let you get away with.

Here's a related posting.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/redstone-in-motion-why-will-it-never-be-in-a-ftb-pack.31634/

Edited by NJM1564

• Moderators

The dev of Redstone in Motion had "issues" with launchers like FTB do you have simmaler issues?

He had issues with the people of FTB, not the launcher.

Don't paint jakj as a greg-gy person. Saying stuff to people or blocking a mod from a launcher are two widely different things. jakj has never blocked anyone from his mod

If you read through that thread you'll find the official FTB stance is the mod cannot be used with the launcher at all because they didn't believe jakj would respond to their bug reports. And that's against policy that all mods that touch their packs even by manual player action must be made by people they talk to on a daily basis apparently...

Problem is jakj is a professional software developer and their accusations of inaction or malice on his part were really insulting. 2 seconds of rational thought on the matter and anyone would realize it doesn't matter where the bug reports come from, any bugs or odd mod interaction affects all launchers equally.

If you read through that thread you'll find the official FTB stance is the mod cannot be used with the launcher at all because they didn't believe jakj would respond to their bug reports. And that's against policy that all mods that touch their packs even by manual player action must be made by people they talk to on a daily basis apparently...

Problem is jakj is a professional software developer and their accusations of inaction or malice on his part were really insulting. 2 seconds of rational thought on the matter and anyone would realize it doesn't matter where the bug reports come from, any bugs or odd mod interaction affects all launchers equally.

You might have missed this part. "an author who actively antagonizes and vehemently wishes ill to FTB and its staff members (and let me be clear: there are particular things you can say to another human being that there's no way you can possibly "walk it back" down the line. That's the level of antagonism that was projected)."

And it's not like the FTB guys are the sort to blow out of proportion a minor comment. They actually have rather think skin for such things.

Not providing support is a secondary point compared to that I think.

Though any professional programmer that won't quickly respond to bug reports from major programmer... probably works for microsoft. :/

But lets not discuss this here I already found out what I wan't to know. That Planetguy was in no way involved with that insaden't and has no such negative fealings for FTB or related indaviduals.

And I cencerly hope to see RemIM in a FTB pack soon.

• Moderators

And it's not like the FTB guys are the sort to blow out of proportion a minor comment. They actually have rather think skin for such things.

you don't say :smug:

You might have missed this part. "an author who actively antagonizes and vehemently wishes ill to FTB and its staff members (and let me be clear: there are particular things you can say to another human being that there's no way you can possibly "walk it back" down the line. That's the level of antagonism that was projected)."

Not providing support is a secondary point compared to that I think.

Though any professional programmer that won't quickly respond to bug reports from major programmer... probably works for microsoft. :/

But lets not discuss this here I already found out what I wan't to know. That Planetguy was in no way involved with that insaden't and has no such negative fealings for FTB or related indaviduals.

And I cencerly hope to see RemIM in a FTB pack soon.

Despite it being a very good idea, I'm not seeing FTB changing their stance on the mod now just because a new developer has it.

Because they always had the option of doing just that back when jakj was active.

Really, it was something he has stated over and over was a possibility.

As for thick skinned and not blowing up over minor comments? You apparently don't know the history of FTB, do you?

Finally got to a point in which I could actually test out the mod and I found a few bugs/unintended behaviours..

1. Hollow carriages appear to have a missing texture? Could be that i'm not using the default texture? I am using the 16x metal-style textures (with support for colourblindness) by uberifix in configs. The block itself looks slightly odd and I guess that could be because it hasn't got the support for the other textures yet. 

2. Hollow carriages can't have items placed inside them or covers. You have to place the covers/tubes or whatever first it seems. Is that a possible change?

3. Energy doesn't seem to be used when moving. Tested both template and regular in continuous. Energy cell drains the initial amount to fill the carriages storage and then never gets used up beyond that amount.

Config options that I have:

B:"Hardmode is activated"=true
    I:"Power capacity of carriages"=50000
    D:"Power consumption factor"=100.0
Also these (Probably shouldn't matter):
    I:"Maximum blocks carried by a support carriage"=5000
    I:"Maximum blocks carried by platform carriage"=5000
    I:"Maximum size of any carriage (0 = no limit)"=0

4. With hardcore mode enabled + continuous mode, carriages like to complain an awful lot about needing power if redstone is supplied when energy isn't. Fills up chat quite fast. Maybe put a cooldown period for checking.

That's all for now, loving the port planetguy, keep it up!

EDIT: Maybe also revise the recipes when hardmode is enabled? I've done so myself as it kinda didn't fit in with my modpack's difficulty. (I removed all the frame pre-requisites except the carriage panel in my example as it was easiest. Everything is significantly harder, requiring GregTech for a lot, however simple vanilla items/thermal expansion items would be sufficient? Anyway let me know what you think of the recipes and sorry for the shitty formatting)

recipes.addShaped(carriagepanel * 4, [[ironstick, ironplate, ironstick], [ironplate, steelnugget, ironplate], [ironstick, ironplate, ironstick]]);
recipes.addShaped(framecarriage * 2, [[ironnugget, orangedye, ironnugget], [carriagepanel, ironscaffold, carriagepanel], [ironnugget, ironnugget, ironnugget]]);
recipes.addShaped(supportcarriage * 2, [[ironnugget, bluedye, ironnugget], [carriagepanel, ironscaffold, carriagepanel], [ironnugget, ironnugget, ironnugget]]);
recipes.addShaped(structurecarriage * 2, [[ironnugget, yellowdye, ironnugget], [carriagepanel, ironscaffold, carriagepanel], [ironnugget, ironnugget, ironnugget]]);
recipes.addShaped(platformcarriage * 2, [[ironnugget, limedye, ironnugget], [carriagepanel, ironscaffold, carriagepanel], [ironnugget, ironnugget, ironnugget]]);
recipes.addShaped(templatecarriage * 2, [[ironnugget, purpledye, ironnugget], [carriagepanel, ironscaffold, carriagepanel], [ironnugget, ironnugget, ironnugget]]);
recipes.addShaped(carriagemotor, [[electroniccircuit, irongear, electroniccircuit], [irongear, leadstonecell, irongear], [electroniccircuit, irongear, electroniccircuit]]);
recipes.addShapeless(carriageengine, [carriagemotor, advelectroniccircuit]);

EDIT 2: Also with the aforementioned config settings I cannot move my frame machine with 10 or more obsidian blocks.. it's not using power, it just doesn't budge. I have 6 frame carriages in a 3x2 with the carriage engine, a resonant energy cell, lever and the 10 obsidian. Removing one allows me to add softer blocks ie glass covering the rest of the frame machine. I assume the hardness of the blocks x the power consumption is causing it to think it can't move because it doesn't have enough max energy. This makes me believe part of the code is working as intended (the weight calculation) however the actual power consumption is being left out. 

EDIT 3: Also I recall you saying the hardness is the mining time; this is incorrect. It is the actual hardness/explosion resistance that calculates hardness, unfortunately this means that you can't move octuple compressed cobblestone (unbreakable by explosions, faster than obsidian to mine). This would also mean warded blocks are a no go for frames. Maybe add a new config option that changes the base power consumption, rather than it being based on hardness. So it would calculate with the base but can ignore hardness? 100 in config would equal either 100 rf per movement or 100 rf per block per movement. Anyway, probably the last edit as this post is getting quite long :)
Edited by ThatGuyJordan

1. That's not supposed to happen. They SHOULD just take the texture of the fully-assembled carriages... I'll look into it.

2. This can't be fixed as far as I know; it's an artifact of how ForgeMultipart handles a single collision box for each part.

3. Ummm... I'll look into that too.

4. Sorry about that, I can fix it easily though.

Edit 1: Feel free to do whatever you like for your modpack, but I rather like the recipes as-is, and I'd rather not make people get some mod because I want to use its items in crafting. I thought the carriage recipes seemed cheap, until I calculated that each batch is 78 logs. In my personal opinion, they're about right with MFR, slightly on the high end with Treecapitator, and painfully expensive with only vanilla.

Edit 2: Dat no good. Maybe I should change to break time, and use a logarithmic or square root formula to avoid huge values like obby stopping all movement?

Edit 3: It was supposed to be mining time. That's a bug.

snip

1. The item for the hollow carriage has a missing texture in game, not the block. The block is not the same texture as the other frames though. 

New problem pertaining to hollow frames: The blocks collision is really weird, I can walk through the west and north sides of the block, however the south and east are solid. Place one down and check it out, corner pillars are solid. Not sure if that's explained too well, just test it out for yourself as it seems easy to replicate.

2. Bummer. Guess it's really not a huge problem, just have to get used to placing beforehand which is no big problem.

3. :)

4. :)

Recipes: Ehh all good, just seemed a little overpowered with those recipes. Simple vanilla items could work if that was the main problem, pistons come to mind as a potential material. Could also just be a config option under hardmode.

Obsidian stuff: You need to remember that I only posted that to show that the calculations for energy were working. Too much obsidian + ridiculous power consumption factor = no movement due to insufficient power. When I changed the power capacity of carriages to a higher amount the carriage could move. Not sure if I mentioned that, was probably somewhat important. 

Mining time: Some mods add blocks that have long mining times but lower explosion resistance and vice versa, with thaumcraft warded blocks being completely unbreakable. Maybe calculating mining time and explosion resistance together and then halving? (haven't really considered explosion resistant blocks, they would probably break the calculation completely I assume)? If the blocks are unbreakable ie warded blocks or strongboxes (which I haven't tested moving yet, just assuming that because the strongboxes are unbreakable by other players they wouldn't be movable) set a standard amount of energy loss that is higher than obsidian?

Cheers for the quick response, really appreciate it.

1. Oh yes, I think I remember that bug... I dunno how to get MCP to recognize the item's Minecraft overrides since it extends a mod item class, except maybe to include the obfuscated-named method in the class.

I'm not completely sure I did the hitbox right either... It should match up with the rendering boxes, but in retrospect it probably makes more sense to give hollow carriages a full block hitbox.

Recipes: The existing ones are balanced in my personal opinion,  but if you don't like them as-is Minetweaker can change them, or if you have recipes you'd like to contribute I can add them as a config option.

Moving heavy blocks on hardcore: A hard or asymptotic cap on power usage per block would neatly solve the problem of hard blocks. Do you think it's a reasonable solution?

Edited by planetguy

The hitbox being a full block would break being able to remove conduits from inside it correct? Still probably the easiest solution as far as coding goes so you should probably go with that. 

Recipes: I'll try to think some reasonable recipes up that are vanilla based, will post back at a later date.

Heavy blocks: Yeah, that's probably the best solution to the problem.

IIRC FMP has two separate methods to get collision boxes; one for entity collision that can return as many or as few as you want and one for checking what a player is pointing at that returns precisely one cuboid. Getting past that would probably require creating lots of technical multiparts, and I'd rather not do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please explain to me (not mod wise) how to install this mod?

I don't see any documentation stating how to install it or if other mods (forge for example) are necessary to make this work.

Also, when I tried to extract the files from the archive, it says that the folder "me" doesn't exist and the system cannot find the path specified.

I would really love to be able to use this mod.

Edited by Whodundid

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

first post on this forum and a little cosmetic problem.

In my modpack I see the following errors / warnings / informations:

[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 14[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at me.planetguy.remaininmotion.Carriage.func_71858_a(Carriage.java:63)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at mapwriter.BlockColourGen.genBlockColours(BlockColourGen.java:127)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at mapwriter.Mw.reloadBlockColours(Mw.java:388)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at mapwriter.Mw.onClientLoggedIn(Mw.java:503)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at mapwriter.forge.MwConnectionHandler.clientLoggedIn(MwConnectionHandler.java:52)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.NetworkRegistry.clientLoggedIn(NetworkRegistry.java:211)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkHandler.onConnectionEstablishedToServer(FMLNetworkHandler.java:91)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.NetClientHandler.func_72455_a(NetClientHandler.java:357)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at net.minecraft.network.packet.Packet1Login.func_73279_a(Packet1Login.java:119)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at net.minecraft.network.TcpConnection.func_74428_b(TcpConnection.java:462)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.NetClientHandler.func_72551_d(NetClientHandler.java:281)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.GuiConnecting.func_73876_c(GuiConnecting.java:51)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71407_l(Minecraft.java:1580)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:910)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:838)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:101)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:131)
[B#439]  2014-06-05 14:09:49 [Information] [STDERR]  at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:27)

The error also showed up in RedstoneInMotion. It seems to be a combination problem between Opis / Mapwriter and RemainInMotion. 

Can you fix this? 

Thank you

Michael