[1.7.10] Remain in Motion - Continuation of Redstone in Motion

planetguy

Update time! Version 2.2.0 changes:

• Re-worked computer integration. Now, instead of waiting for the move() call to return to hear whether the carriage worked, you call status() (no arguments) on it.
      • This change is largely to accommodate native OpenComputers integration, which is still planned but is currently stalled

• Added sound effects to carriage motion. Hear the motors!
  • Stopped support carriages from connecting through air
  • Implemented work-around for falling off carriages (it may still not work)
  • Fixed RF consumption in hardcore mode

It's available in the same place as always.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for continuing this wonderful mod and also to report a minor bug.

The hollow carrages work wonderfully with AE2, but there is some clipping that causes some massive framerate drops.

here is a pic to better explain what I am refering to.

6ZHrk1G.jpg

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for continuing this wonderful mod and also to report a minor bug.

The hollow carrages work wonderfully with AE2, but there is some clipping that causes some massive framerate drops.

here is a pic to better explain what I am refering to.

<snip>

It could be that hollow carriages are just expensive models to render - does the lag happen with the carriages only? With the carriages separate from the AE2 stuff?

The lag only happens with the hollow carrages in this manner, and doesn't become apparent unless alot of them are set up in this manner.

To help explain the pic above, what is happening is that an annilation plane and an AE2 cable are both inside the hollow carrage (being the annilation plane is a multipart, it will fit inside the hollow carrage, a VERY nice feature, lol).

Due to the size of the annilation plane, and the size of the hollow carrage, the gfx of each "glitch" through each other, and results of the pic above. The frames are not moving in that pic, they are standing still.

As long as the frames are not moving, nor the player, there is no lag, but as soon as either the player, or the frames, or both start moving, then the lag hits from the visual glitching of one item rendering on top of another.

At least, I am assuming that is causing the lag. In any other instance/usage of the frames, there is no lag unless a large frame machine is made/moving, but that is to be expected.

As a test, could try modeling the hollow carrages one pixel smaller, as so not to be a full block size if that makes sense, and test to see there are still similar lag issues.

Also, this is probably a "rare case of a block/mod being used in an unusual manner causing unatended effects and should not be used in this manner" type of situation.

Edited by MoparDan

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give an update on this.... The above structure was made in a single player world, and was laggy as stated. what I did as a test is I built the same "machine" but this time used the template carrages (9x9x9 structure full of template carrages except for one block in the center so I could set the pattern) instead of the hollow + frame carrages, and built it on a server, and no lag.

So, it seems that either alot of hollow carrages, or hollow carrages used with multiparts (like the AE annilation planes) in which the textures of the multipart and the hollow carrages "glitch" through each other is the source of the gfx lag.NOTE: I can not stress this enough, the lag was not a tick lag from it moving, but a gfx/framerate dropout, even if the frames were standing still.

So, in short, using your template carriages and AE (and enderIO for power/item xfer and WR-CBE for wireless sigs, and morph so I could fit in a one block space to set the pattern), I was able to make a true Omni-directional mining machine (able to mine in all six directions) with minimal/no lag compared to other mining machines made with moving/frame mods!

Edited by MoparDan

I'd guess hollow carriages are simply a complicated model - they have 12 cuboids apiece, so that probably has a lot to do with it. I can pretty easily replace the model with one cuboid and some fancy textures, maybe that will work better. It's also possible that I'm horribly abusing ForgeMultipart somehow. I'll toss Opis in my dev workspace and get back to you on the lag issues.

If you can find a way to reduce/improve it, great! But....lets be honest here, The method that I was using them in was rather....abusive....to say the least (I believe the intended use of hollow carrages was for tubes/wires...not entire structures, lol).

If you think about it, that structure used 486 hollow carrages ( (9 * 9) * 6 ), and thats not including the platform carrages that were also being used. I can not even remotely think of any structure that would properly use the hollow carrages in that high of a number.

If you can find a way to reduce/improve it, great! But....lets be honest here, The method that I was using them in was rather....abusive....to say the least (I believe the intended use of hollow carrages was for tubes/wires...not entire structures, lol).

If you think about it, that structure used 486 hollow carrages ( (9 * 9) * 6 ), and thats not including the platform carrages that were also being used. I can not even remotely think of any structure that would properly use the hollow carrages in that high of a number.

It probably shouldn't lag like that...

I optimized hollow carriages and redid the model in v2.2.1 (in addition to removing some error messages), hopefully it's more efficient now.

• 2 weeks later...

New version, 2.3.3, in the Mediafire folder or here. It adds a config property to limit packet size and updates the RF API.

I'm going to be away from my dev tools for a week or two, so if any issue pops up before then I might not be able to fix it. I'll hopefully still be around to check the forums.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...