Power Unit conversion - KW (Solar panel) to RF

Targren

So I'm trying to figure out how many solar panels one redstone conduit can handle, but I'm stuck.  I know  1 MJ = 10 RF, and 1 EU  = 4 RF, but I don't have a conversion for KW to any of the others.  I tried using real world conversions:

1 kwh = 3.6 MJ

1 h = 1000 ticks

1 kwt = .0036 MJ = .036 RF/t

That just doesn't seem like it can be right... So I'm guessing real-world math isn't coming into play. So does anyone have any idea what the game is actually doing with these values?

100 kW = 355 RF (charge a solar panel, turn it off, then get the power out into an energy cell).

Watch the solar panel charge rate when disconnected - it's generating kW/second, not per tick.  The advanced solar panel generates anywhere from 1.5kW/s to 4.5kW/s (double on a station) which is 5.32 RF/s to ~16 RF/s.  There are 20 ticks per second, so that works out to ~0.27RF/t to ~0.8RF/t, a hundredth of a dynamo at max generation rate!

I had to test this to make sure that I hadn't made a mistake somewhere, so I set up a system with rednet cables that would turn on and charge at the same time and ran it for about 45 seconds alongside a reactant dynamo to see if I was in the right ballpark in real testing:

Solar Panel = 708RF

Dynamo = 78,956RF

That ratio and output matches roughly what I was expecting (the solar panel wasn't pre-charged, so the manual switch on and off would introduce small errors in my testing).  They do not generate much!

Indeed, there used to be a time when the advanced solar panels were worth it, but keep in mind galacticrafts power options are for galacticraft machines, which in themselves do not require a ton of power to begin with so why generate a ton of power with the panels? The conversion rate could be better balanced, but I would rather see additional planets to visit than a better conversion rate.

I plan to use a few of them at some outlying areas where Im not usually using a ton of power. while your right the charge rate is not all that good it at least is something when your working nearby or just have not setup a small power source yet. 

But they do look rather cool when you have a few rows of them set up.

And sometimes, that's all that matters.

Yeah, to be honest, that's the best reason I can think of to use the advanced solar panels :D   I like watching them follow the sun in long rows.

Pirahnah3 - sure, they're fine for that, in fact the basic solar panels (which don't turn towards the sun and generate about half the power of the advanced ones) can be used to make a pretty cool roof, just set up an energy cell to trickle charge and it'll be fine for short heavy use (like outposts with materials processing) or long slow use (like galacticraft oxygen processing).

Edited by Loader

100 kW = 355 RF (charge a solar panel, turn it off, then get the power out into an energy cell).

Watch the solar power charge rate when disconnected - it's generating kW/second, not per tick.  The advanced solar panel generates anywhere from 1.5kW/s to 4.5kW/s (double on a station) which is 5.32 RF/s to ~16 RF/s.  There are 20 ticks per second, so that works out to ~0.27RF/t to ~0.8RF/t, a hundredth of a dynamo at max generation rate!

I had to test this to make sure that I hadn't made a mistake somewhere, so I set up a system with rednet cables that would turn on and charge at the same time and ran it for about 45 seconds alongside a reactant dynamo to see if I was in the right ballpark in real testing:

Solar Panel = 708RF

Dynamo = 78,956RF

That ratio and output matches roughly what I was expecting (the solar panel wasn't pre-charged, so the manual switch on and off would introduce small errors in my testing).  They do not generate much!

Well I still believe these panels are not the right option to generate power.. Very less efficiency and costly..Hope plenty of sunshine is available..

Edited by CarlosStuhrw

I don't know how I could give any other impression - those numbers indicate that you need 100 advanced solar panels on the surface (with no weather) to not even quite match a single dynamo.  It's worth it if you never want to care about it and you don't need much, or if you like the way it looks, but not from a pure power-generation standpoint.

(For reference, the pig on a treadmill generates about 6kW/s)

Edited by Loader

Been speaking with radfast (a developer of Galacticraft alongside micdoodle8) and after digging into it myself in regards to a power conversion issue for GC to TE (1/2 RF from panels was stupidly low) Galacticraft changed the default power conversion to Buildcraft and Thermal Expansion back in build #946 of GC, but the config files do not reflect this at all, and are still using the old values. This change is actually very significant, as the old value indicates 32RF/s for the advanced solar panels on space stations at max efficiency, where as the new value indicates 225RF/s. The fix to this is simple, delete the power.conf file found in /config/Galacticraft of the modpack and let GC regenerate it.

Source code history: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/commits/1.6/common/micdoodle8/mods/galacticraft/api/transmission/compatibility/NetworkConfigHandler.java

Jenkins' Changelog: http://ci.micdoodle8.com/job/Galacticraft/946/

Commit Change: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/commit/50a769116df1758224783e9f856587ab1dafe69a#diff-f272154795eb6216947b058abc0e89f3

My post @

Yes... My pig power station becomes one step closer to fruition. Pig power and solar panels. No more monster juices. Ever play Mass Effect? The Collectors also had a fetish for monster juices to make power. In this case it was HUMAN JUICES!!!

• 2 months later...

So I'm trying to figure out how many solar kits one redstone conduit can handle, but I'm stuck.  I know  1 MJ = 10 RF, and 1 EU  = 4 RF, but I don't have a conversion for KW to any of the others.  I tried using real world conversions:

1 kwh = 3.6 MJ

1 h = 1000 ticks

1 kwt = .0036 MJ = .036 RF/t

That just doesn't seem like it can be right... So I'm guessing real-world math isn't coming into play. So does anyone have any idea what the game is actually doing with these values?

Well were you able to find exact answer? My friend is working on similar project and I will ask him to contact you..

Edited by KentonBlazes

The ratio for KW to TE RF is 0.28139999508857727 ( that is, 1 KW = 0.28139999508857727 RF)

To maximize each conduits line you need:

leadstone: this is 284.29 KW

hardened: this is 1421.46 KW

redstone: this is 35536 KW

Edited by Kalbintion

• 2 weeks later...

Been speaking with radfast (a developer of Galacticraft alongside micdoodle8) and after digging into it myself in regards to a power conversion issue for GC to TE (1/2 RF from panels was stupidly low) Galacticraft changed the default power conversion to Buildcraft and Thermal Expansion back in build #946 of GC, but the config files do not reflect this at all, and are still using the old values. This change is actually very significant, as the old value indicates 32RF/s for the advanced solar panels on space stations at max efficiency, where as the new value indicates 225RF/s. The fix to this is simple, delete the power.conf file found in /config/Galacticraft of the modpack and let GC regenerate it.

Is this still something that needs to be done manually, or have the default config file thingie been updated since? Been a couple months and all.