Blue Slime Farm Help

wertywoof7

You can make a floor of soul glass and pour the liquid slime over it. The slime doesn't go through the soul glass but any entities that spawn in the slime will slowly fall through.

This same method can be done with signs, since they hold up liquid and is often cheaper and easier to get than soul glass.

You should check on generikb's witch/slime reactor on youtube. He has done the soul glass setup as a catalyst for his witch burning reactor on his space station.

Works quite nice and once I get to a new location (mainbase runs on a magma reactor like Keralis has built) I will implement this as well.

Anyone know how the pool spawning works with regard to nearby players?  Is it normal spawn rules (suppressed within 24 blocks of a player), or "spawner" rules (ONLY when a player is within 24 blocks), or something different entirely?

You don't have to be there for them to spawn.

Hope that wasn't toward my post as my post was meant to be interpreted as they will spawn, not as a spawner, but as any other mob could given the right conditions and distance appropriateness (<24m is bad, etc)

Hope that wasn't toward my post as my post was meant to be interpreted as they will spawn, not as a spawner, but as any other mob could given the right conditions and distance appropriateness (<24m is bad, etc)

I didn't mean to confuse you. I re-edited my post.

But I believe they will:

Spawn there like they are mob spawner blocks.

Spawn while you are away.

I didn't mean to confuse you. I re-edited my post.

But I believe they will:

Spawn there like they are mob spawner blocks.

Spawn while you are away.

Meaning they'll spawn if your nearby, they'll spawn if you're far away (but the chunk is still loaded)? They'll spawn they'll spawn and they'll spawn some more?

Okay, I'm clearly punchy and going to bed now...

Edited by Targren

Yepp thats true. I had a 9*9 pool in my mainbase and they spawned like hell. Since I have a poppet shelf to keep the chunk loaded it even spawns when nobody is on the server (the log looks crazy!).

I had to encase the pool with electric fence to stem the tide, since the slimes were choking down the server, so that my friends couldn't move close to it without experiencing a full fps drops.

When properly channeled they are a good source for Mob Essence and Slimeballs. But keeping them "in the wild" is inviting desaster.

I think they have a limit on how many can spawn and stay inside the spawn pool. I don't think they will spawn infinitely if for example you don't let them jump out of the slime. The reason I rationalize this is because they initially live on a floating island and when I have flown to those islands I have only encountered one in the slime pool. I never see an infinite number of them on the terrain below or on the slime islands. I believe they keep spawning because they hop out of the slime pool and another spawns to take it's place now that the pool has become vacated. The slime pool registers a missing slime and spawns one to "protect" the slime pool. It will keep repeated it over and over.

This is all conjecture and not based on any facts only observations.

Edited by DanielUSA

That is indeed true. Might come from the fact that the pools on those islands are two blocks deep, while my pool only had one block and it was wider.

Using a 9*9*1 setup for the pool ended up in them spawning in finitely and flooding the place. The room in which the pool was sitting was 11*11 wide so they had a means to escape.
So escaping the helps to force the spawn, as well as keeping the pool bigger, since the area seems to matter.

Aunt Edit said:

I have never observed the spawning to stop since I couldn't because it would have knocked the server into oblivion.

Edited by BrowserXL

If they keep spawning infinitely a well place Enhanced portal above the slime pool should cause the slimes to teleport to your desired location. (I.E. your grinder room). In fact that gives me a great idea for a slime job. hehe

Perhaps I could create alternating layers of soul glass (or signs?) and 5x5x1 pools of slime then place an enhanced portal that teleports mobs to a kill room I could make an efficient slime farm.

Go a bit bigger, 10x10 should do it, to allow king slimes to spawn (I'm not sure how much space they'll need, but it'll be more than 5x5.  I also expect that you'll need an air gap between each layer, I doubt they'd spawn into the soul glass.  Feel free to give it a go, though, and please let me know the results if you do :)