New here? Welcome to planet Tekkit!

Curunir

If you modify your Tekkit, you cannot get support here, because the tracker is exclusively for support on featured packs like Tekkit, not for custom packs. That means if you encounter problems with a modified pack, you will need to solve them yourself. Custom modpacks are discussed on Platform Pagoda, where you can get some help and advice around "rolling your own". It's not rocket science, but not trivial, either. To go beyond temporary dabbling with files, you need an account on the Technic Platform, where you then can create your own (ideally private) modpack.

You can make your own pack in two ways. You either take an existing one, like Tekkit, and change it the way you prefer, or you build your own pack from the ground up. The latter is more flexible, but also requires more knowledge and work.

If you base your custom pack on Tekkit, you are locked into Minecraft 1.6.4 still. You could choose some other pack to start that is already built on 1.7.10, or wait for the 1.7.10-based Tekkit to arrive. The Technic Launcher has all sorts of packs from all sorts of people, with featured packs like Tekkit making up just a small fraction. However, featured packs are held to higher standards and receive some limited support, which is not true for the rest of the packs. Some of those are great, some may yet become great.

Edited by Curunir

No support im fine with that, i would do research on it if i got into trouble.

i dont mind it taking longer to make a pack and making my own pack i can add as i go really, so how would i update to a later version, would i have to create a separate folder for my modpack and just start putting the stuff in that i want, but how would i get it to a 1.7.10 one?

When is the next Tekkit coming out?

And what i was thinking of doing is dowloading a variety of modpacks on Tekkit then playing them and having a look at which ones i would want on mine and check to see if they are up to date. 

As I said, the how-to-modpack section of the forum is Platform Pagoda. All the script-fu ninjas gather there, and I am notably not one of them. I can only offer gameplay help and some basic advice. You should probably start by looking at >this.

As for the next Tekkit, the rules around here explicitly forbid to ask for ETAs. The Technic team has recruited IskanDar to make the next Hexxit and Tekkit, and he is currently busy with that. Hexxit will be first.

If you just want to discover mods via other packs, that will of course work. Maybe you want a kitchen-sink style pack for this, like the new FTB Infinity on the Feed The Beast Launcher. I recommend not starting anything on 1.6.4-based packs any more. You may find mods you like, only to learn that they have been abandoned and won't work on 1.7.10.

okay thanks ill have a look there.

And it says asking the map creators and people involved in it or putting pressure on them, i was actually asking you to see if you had any idea of when, i do the same with games and DLC's i ask people not involved as i dont know where to find out the information and i like to keep up to date.

And yeah ill need to play a few mod packs on FTB as well as Tekkit and stuff then ill find the right modpack in the forums and check to see if it is up to date and just hope i dont ruin my world through them.

okay ive spent about an hour or 2 trying to make my own using that link to lukes guide and i still couldnt get it to work... ill wait for the next tekkit to come out in 1.7.10 then ill just change and add mods to it... i need someone whos good at creating a modpack to start it off for me :(

Edited by unknownerror

Right, you can of course browse for modpacks on the (shiny new) Technic Launcher as well. I just mentioned FTB Infinity because it's the only current kitchen-sink style pack that I know by name.

You probably don't want to take your existing world save with you into other packs, or at least only take a copy each time. Mod items will be deleted by the (internal) server when that mod is not present any more, so you can and will lose some stuff on each change. New pack usually means new start, although you could of course take your world save across each time to speed up the start phase. Keep in mind, though, that worldgen (= mod ores and other things spawning) from new mods will usually only happen in newly-generated chunks, so be prepared to travel.

By the way, I am tolerating your quiz in the sticky thread so far because most of these questions may have appeal for new players. If you want to know more specific things about Tekkit or have other questions, please make your own thread for that.

Well i really wanted to create my own rather than use others that way i could put the ones i want on it and maintain it myself because i have free time doing nothing atm, and a copy of it so back up files i got you.

And yeah i kinda just hijacked this topic a little bit :/ but yeah it does help people decide about their own modpacks or further information, thanks for all your help anyway. :)

About Combustion Engines not connecting to your RF network: Of course they won't. Combustion Engines are Buildcraft power devices and only produce MJ. An RF network can convert to MJ output for machines, but not take MJ input. You need to use Dynamos or Big Reactors, or the Atomic Science stuff.

Supposedly universal cables convert between types of power, but I'm not sure if they're in this pack or not, and I'm not in a location where I can find out.

• 2 months later...

After all the forum troubles, I guess it is fair that I at least drop this notice, in case anybody has been wondering where I was.

Ever since the Technic team dropped this unannounced and poorly managed forum software change on us, I have been unable to post. It turns out that with my browser of choice, the new software fails to open any edit boxes. I would rather stop using the Internet than stop using my browser of choice, so this is not acceptable for me. I have little hope that anybody is willing to fix this mess, because my browser of choice is Presto-Opera (12.14, without the bugs introduced in the hack jobs up to 12.17). I will stick with it, because it is perfect and I refuse to use anything that is not perfect. Any website that fails to support this is a website I will not use any longer. That means no more guides.

Sorry, folks.

We're sorry to see you leave.  The update was supposed to be a minor thing but it's been nothing but trouble.  Unfortunately, moving back to xenforo requires someone to make an IPB4 -> xenforo converter, so we're stuck here until that happens.  We've ended up renewing our IPB subscription just so we can make the situation as comfortable as possible while we wait for the opportunity to leave.  We hope you'll keep an eye on us and come back when things improve.

I understand your predicament, and hope that you get this resolved as you are planning to.

But you should really start doing proper announcements when you are planning big things like a forum software change. I know that your communication is spread across a number of channels, much of which are so-called social media. Being an old-fashioned guy, I would vastly prefer if you could get (back?) into the habit of using your website to publish relevant news items. For many people over the age of 30 (and some below that), an official website is still the main, and sometimes only source we scan for substantial information. We don't want to scrape it off Twitter or Facebook or Reddit or whatever else is cool right now. You could use it to explain your stance on "official" modpacks, which is very different from what people expect it to be. You could post a roadmap there about what you are working on and plan to do next. And even a brief "by the way, forum software will change in x days, for these reasons" will go a long way.

I appreciate many things the Technic team is doing, but your project communication is all over the place. An undertaking as big as Technic (in terms of scope and user count) really needs to establish a news reference. Technicpack.net is a good domain that users can remember, so why not use it?

I will close Slowfox now and continue to just read the forums. Wake me when something interesting happens.

• Moderators

i just downloaded the technic launcher last week, and i cannot find tekkit lite AT ALL....

can you help me find it?

​This thread is for helping users with "gameplay" of main Tekkit. Launcher issues belong in Bug Reports

As for Tekkit Lite and Classic, they have been removed from the menu but they are still around. Just search the word "tekkit" on the search bar on the launcher

• 2 weeks later...

I know this probably isnt the right section, but i have had a look and i cant find anything for when updates or new versions will be made, for example the next Tekkit, as ive heard its being made after Hexxit was updated but i would just like to know some information as it seems like the communication within this community isnt so great everyone is kept in the dark, an idea i think these forums need is an update/news topic where it will be updated when there is new info such as if a modpack is being worked on approx time till it is released when it is in a testing mode if it is the final update for it just general info like that, if there is a topic like this already i havent seen it.

Before you guys start complaining about bugging modpack makers im asking here not bugging a maker asking other curios people or people with some more knowledge than me im also just putting an idea out there to keep us, the players, up to date and if we had this topic it could get people hyped about the modpack see little previews and snaps.

Anything helps.

• Moderators

there's a good reason for why it's kept "in the dark". Posting updates are annoying as people start whining. "you sed it wuz guna be next week! Dat wuz too weeks ago! Weres da fhuking pack ya wankers!?

Technic will never post when modpack updates. Pack updates happens as mods are updated, simple as that.

If you don't want to play an "outdated" pack in 1.6.4 MC (I fail to see what HUGE improvements Mojang is capable of...) then Platform is your treat, filled to the brim with thousands of user-created packs, many of which are in 1.7x

Thats why you should have a topic for this discussion and instead of saying a specific date for the completion you could say an approx time for certain parts done, such as updated to 1.7.10 minecraft launcher or updating blah blah mod approx time ... that way you arent telling the same people who always complain and it also lets us know when things are updated and gives us information, and tbh ive been waiting months and i dont care about waiting i just want to know where we are at (if anywhere).

And it doesnt have to be when they update it can just be when they are working on it and possibly hints on what is adding to get people interested.

And its not minecraft updates i want it for its the mod pack updates, thats why im here on technic... and ive attempted to create my own modpack a few times and every time failed, i tend to download others and customise them but tbh i dont know what mods to add to them thats a main reason why im waiting for the next modpack because old mods are gone or changed and im no expert on modpacks so i dont know whats good mods are until i play with them.

• 1 month later...