Can the Pump be used to drain quarries?

Silmenume

Does the pump "drain" quarries or any large body of water any more?  I've got one set up over a source block of water in a quarry filled with water (and other unwanted fluids) but the level of the quarry is not dropping.

1.  The pump is working as I can see water in the transparent fluid duct.

2.  The exact area I am pumping from is just water - not oil or sludge.

It remember that it used to be that the rate of water depletion was so quick and dramatic that the server lagged so back that I would get kicked.  Now I don't see anything happening to the level at all.

Thank you.

Is the pump powered? Is there a tank or tesseract linked to it via fluiducts to take the pumped fluid? I recommend attaching a void fluid pipe to it if you don't care about storing the liquids you're pumping.

I think all water blocks become source blocks. Pumping won't work. You'll have to fill it, or an mffs can soak it up.

This is only true if the depth of the water is only 1M. Pumping will work just fine as I do it all the time in my overworld quarries with oil and water.

Edited by Digdug83

Water physics are a bit tricky. A sufficiently large 1-block deep water pool will never be drained by a Pump, because the regeneration is faster than the removal. I'm not too sure about deeper water, but I'm inclined to believe Digdug when he says that it works.

The real solution to drain a Quarry is filling the liquid in with sand or gravel, then just letting the quarry remove the solids. Should be possible to automate with a BC Filler below/inside the Quarry frame, just disable the Quarry as long as that one is in place.

Regarding Oil: This pumps out fine, as long as you place the Pump over the single topmost Oil block.

Been removing all day. Water is indeed tricky. The pump tries to drain the edge source blocks first (the farthest) and it has limited range (64 if I can remember correctly). Sometimes it will still leave a source block keeping the water regenerating.

Put a drum on top of the pump it will be quicker but not guaranteed to drain all water. Test the pumps draining method in creative with different shapes and depths of the lake.

Regarding Oil: This pumps out fine, as long as you place the Pump over the single topmost Oil block.

I wait when the oil deposits are 2-3 blocks above quarry digging level, stop the quarry, dig a trench through 2 or 3 deposits (2-3 blocks through the bottom) and place the pump above the trench. I get 70-95% oil blocks with one pump placement, gravel for the rest. I'm very lazy.

Edited by bochen415

This is only true if the depth of the water is only 1M. Pumping will work just fine as I do it all the time in my overworld quarries with oil and water.

theres a sponge module for mffs that will drain all water and lava inside your force-field.

so if you design your field large enough....

This will only work for water and lava, if you have to remove other liquids, you could try the invert-module... (did not test this myself)

Be careful with mffs fields, they can kill you if you're in the way when they are forming ;)

Does the pump "drain" quarries or any large body of water any more?  I've got one set up over a source block of water in a quarry filled with water (and other unwanted fluids) but the level of the quarry is not dropping.

1.  The pump is working as I can see water in the transparent fluid duct.

2.  The exact area I am pumping from is just water - not oil or sludge.

It remember that it used to be that the rate of water depletion was so quick and dramatic that the server lagged so back that I would get kicked.  Now I don't see anything happening to the level at all.

Thank you.

Go to config directory, go to buidcraft then open main.conf in notepad or some other text editor.

Search for the line:

# set to true if the Pump should consume water
B:consumeWater=false

Change the false to true and your good to go with the pump network. Save the file and restart client/server.

Try the Fluid Void Pipe. I'm currently wondering about the Fluid Void from Extra Utilities. No clue how does it work.

I've been so used to gravel the place down.

Edit: You are going to cause massive lag with the water.

Edited by bochen415

@Bochen415 - thanks for the info.  I haven't had time to try it, but I'm hoping it works when I do.  That was a real find!  BTW - I am using a Fluid Void Pipe.  I can see the water in the Transparent Fluid Duct on its way to the Fluid Void Pipe.  That config change should clear up the problem!  (I remember the terrible lag when it was clearing a quarry - which was a tip off that something wasn't working right this time).

Did some testing with the config changed. One pump can be not enough. 10 pumps will suck out all life from a quarry pit and the splash sounds they are making... Tested with 10 pumps powered by one tesseract and 4 fluid void blocks connected with fluiducts. The pumps will drain all water but not oil. I needed additional pumps for the oil.

Edit: Will try to dry out a little ocean.

Edited by bochen415