Building My Own Computer But Have Questions

FancyCandy99

• Discord Moderator
  • The Power Supply is amazingly over-specced. You would be much better off getting one that is a bit lower power and focuses on super quiet operation.
  • Add a SSD to use as your primary drive and use that 4T drive as your secondary drive for slower things that aren't speed-intensive. You don't need to go crazy with it and can easily add a 256G-ish SSD for around $100.

• Discord Moderator

Very reasonable cases can be had in the range of $40-$60. The selection of a case is often driven by what you are trying to put in it:

• Number of storage devices
  • Physical length of your graphics card
  • Physical dimensions of your after-market cooling solutions
  • ATX or MicroATX motherboard

Define those and then pick a case that meets the criteria.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there's a bit of sarcasm in there - 5TB of SSD is pretty unrealistic, and 2TB of RAM is almost unattainable even with a very large server board (1TB isn't too hard, but...).

All the below are NewEgg links, though other places will have similar prices on most things, just at different times and with different advertising.

Seriously, though, that video card is quite...bleeding edge.  Unless you have money to really burn and are interested in pushing the graphics settings to their absolute max, I might consider going with something like this instead.  I would also suggest doing a little more shopping around for the other components.  You can get a Seagate hybrid drive here for a lower price, with the same size and some performance boosters, for example, or change out a little storage space for a comfortably sized SSD.  Something like this or this would work just fine for power (you don't need 1200W, and probably don't even need 1000W), and it'll cost quite a bit less.  Finally, why would you pay so much for a Dell monitor when something like this is essentially identical (slightly faster response time) at half the price?  Monitors are fairly durable and long-lived, so you don't have to be too worried about brand and such.

Yeah, I don't really care about refresh rates above 60Hz tbh, at least with the same tech base like these two have.  Overclocking in this case isn't real bright, since it will shorten monitor life and not appreciably improve picture quality.  Of course, response time below a certain point isn't all that important either.  I suppose it might matter in FPSs and similar, but for stuff like MC and, oh, basically everything else, anything < 10ms is more than sufficient.