Set up server features.

ascendant

Im new to minecraft servers. How would i set up the following features.

Automatic saving, backups, and othe nessesary maintanence.

Multiple diffrent zones (worlds with differnt seeds linked by teleporters) including one zone with building disabled.

Mob difficulty (types mobs and buffs) increase farther from the center of each zone with base setting change able on a per zone basis.

User generated teams/factions.

User or team generated shops.

A currency system.

Designate certin areas as buildable and destroyable by users teams and all to prevent greifing and for gameplay.

The abilty to reset all zones if nessesary but keep player inventory and data and an unlimed storage locker for users to use between resets.

Set a maximim distance from the center of certin zones for players to travel.

Disable pvp in specific zones.

The abilty for factions to declare war removing any anti greifing measures but only in certin areas.

If possible add portals between zones into world generator.

Anything else importent to an open server that i left out.

Zones are kind of like individual mystcraft worlds connected by portals exept there will only be 3-4 and will have properties i listed above.

Im am running the latest big dig server on ubantu 14 desktop.

• 2 weeks later...

Away from the Holywar that is Linux OS choices, I assume you are using modded therefore i highly recommend cauldron (formerly MCPC+) as your new server jar, it will allow you to run Bukkit plugins as well as forge mods. 

For the plugins here is some of my recommendations, 

Multiverse 2 for world management, Its a bit of a a pain in the butt to learn to use when you have mods like mystcraft installed, but once its setup isnt too bad.

Essentials for basic commands, signs, and commerce system. I've used and sworn by this mod for 2+ years and it has never failed me.

McMyAdmin as a admin console for managing your server outside of config files, makes server management so much less of a pain, and worth 10 times its purchase cost easy.

PermissionsEx as a permissions system, works well with multiworld systems, and well built.

That's my recommendation

--ssgtmccrae