What mods I would like to see in Tekkit

NeoWolf

Personally I think that Mekanism and Chisel would be two good mods to add to tekkit.  I've been watching yogscast lately and they seem to use those mods fairly often and I tried them for myself on ftb (and later ended up deleting it because of computer memory loss) and I honestly think they would be good to add into the modpack,  another good mod to possibly add would be "biomes a plenty" just to add a little bit of variety to the plain vanilla biomes.  DISCLAIMER- I did not make any of these mods and although i cant name the authors because I don't know who made them, I must say to you mod creators AMAZING JOB

reply below on what mods you would like to see added into the Tekkit modpack

Edited by NeoWolf

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Biomes O'Plenty is a resource hog and asks too high a price for adding "some variety". Tekkit always tries to strike a balance between including a good selection of mods and running decently on comparatively slow machines. I am also concerned how it will or won't interact with Mystcraft's mechanics.

Myself, I would like Railcraft back, if only for the Steel Tanks. Any other mod that adds multiblock liquid storage would be nice. And multi-block power storage is also something we could use well with those reactors.

But I guess right now is not really the time to include new stuff. With the 1.7 transition pending, focus will be on getting everything over to the other side, and getting it all to cooperate again. The current Tekkit 1.2.x line (based on Minecraft 1.6.4) will likely be frozen when work on the 1.7 version begins.

Edited by Curunir

For multiblock liquid storage, try Dynamic Tanks 2, a very lightweight (and supposedly lag-free) tank mod. I added it to Tekkit myself because I was sick of tanks only stacking vertically, and it works perfectly. I was going to suggest it to the modpack authors as well when the time is right.

As for Biomes O'Plenty, it works fine with Mystcraft, the only problem is that you're going to find dozens, if not hundreds, of biome pages for every other feature page, simply because there will be so many of them. That said, I added BoP to my Tekkit, too (together with Alternate Terrain Generator), and I wouldn't want to play vanilla worlds anymore. The sheer beauty and variety (and sort-of realism, if you configure it accordingly - no jungles intersected by ice plains or something like that anymore) of BoP+ATG worlds compared to vanilla worlds is mind-blowing. It is quite resource-heavy, though, that's correct. My computer can easily handle it so I don't care, but it might indeed be unsuitable for a balanced pack. For a little more variety in world generation, though, there are smaller biome-enhancing mods like Highlands, which might be worth a try.

Edited by redsector

For those who are really avid builders of beautiful or exotic structures I cannot recommend Chisel enough.  I have not played with it myself but I watched a tutorial on a combination of Carpenter's Blocks which we already have with Chisel.  The two mods seem to work hand in glove.  It's purely decorative, but...wow!

• 3 weeks later...

As Server Owner / user I see many servers just ban dim doors and those are only ones what can maybe replace good old teleportal.

OpenBlocks is quite must mod what I would like to see. Elevators and everything what this mod does, makes bases look good.

Suits very well into Tekkit.

TiCon is hard to start with the tools and five types of tool forging blocks but the outcome and all the possible tools are great. This needs an addon like TiC Tooltips to help understand the tools and their options (not modifying the game in any way). As usual my attention to TiCon was drawn with a little additional aspect of the mod - the Oreberry Bushes - they are great (and well balanced too) especially the Essence one. Hint: MFR harvester picks up the Oreberries.

Imagine a modpack where vanilla low-tech tools are nerfed to one use only or disabled with Minetweaker and the only available path is Tinkers' Construct tools.

Chisel with Carpenters Blocks is a must to have a blast with building your base.

OpenBlocks need to get stable quickly.

There's one mod I overlooked in Tekkit. Steve's Carts have nice options for the early game. Definietly will use them in the future.

I hope that Dimensional Doors will start the 1.7.10 transition. It would be a shame to give up on Limbo.

Edited by bochen415

I would actually be happy to see DDoors removed. At the very least it needs to become more stable and stop causing so many world file corruptions. Gameplay-wise, it's mostly trolling in the vein of Mojang's own infamy - which Minecraft already has enough of, imo.

I have been using Tinker's Construct and crafted some high-end stuff way back when I played BigDig for a while. It's not too hard to understand, but I consider power tools like Redstone Arsenal infinitely better than those TiC toys. TiC is neither magic nor technology, just lots of fiddling with microparts, which is entirely not my cup of tea. The smelting part does have some appeal, though.

The oreberries are nice, but I should like them to smelt to default nuggets, not some random weirdness that needs to run through the Unifier before it will even stack. As usual, modpack configuration can make the difference between useful and totally obnoxious.

OpenBlocks adds many great utility items, somewhat like Extra Utilities does, and should be a high priority for a modernized Tekkit. Mekanism also looks extremely nice, not least for the hydrogen-powered jetpack and other high-level personal gear. Might be a good much better replacement for MPS if that fails to make the jump. The factory components may need some balancing to fit in with the other tech mods, but that seems definitely worth doing.

I tinkered around with Chisel a bit and built myself a temple. The Chisel tool is a bit weird to use, but the results are great.

I should mention that I have been strolling around and looked at most of those mods in other modpacks. Tekkit should get some kind of alpha cobbled together soon, or players will migrate towards something else.

Make a custom modpack for the time being. Everybody does. There's not a lot of choices for now. FTB is in alpha. ATLaucher has Bevo's Tech Pack but it's becoming bloated (and refuses to add BigReactors...). Some 3rd party packs are available but they have their own pack-idea and progression nerfed to meet the modpack creator path of automation.

Apparently we live in a time of changing default recipes and locking dawn the map with Minetweaker, locking the games difficulty and mode with LockDawn and stuffing Hardcore Questing Mode everywhere it's possible.

Edited by bochen415

What scared you? ID problems?. This is normal on 1.6.4. Every mod adds own items/blocks with IDs. If they overlap Forge will issue a warning. That warning window is all you need to quickly fix ID problems. If it will pop up go to fullscreen to see the whole message and make a screenshot for later use.

Then go to the configs of the added mods and change IDs of the blocks/items. The Forge error message gives a hint what IDs are available for usage.

Well, you don't exactly NEED to generate a new world. It's just that you won't find any of the mod's world-generated blocks in already existing chunks (unless the mod has a retrogen feature). I don't know what Mekanism brings to the table in terms of worldgen, but IIRC, Chisel only adds a few rocks/minerals (marble is the first thing that comes to mind) that you can probably live without.

Also, you can always explore your existing world further and therefore generate new chunks, which will have all the new worldgen features, in case there's something you absolutely need (new ores etc.).

Edited by redsector

I cannot find any information on Mek 6 retrogen options, the new Mek 7 (1.7.10) has this option in the configs.

One can use the CoFH retrogen options but they are tricky and poorly documented.

The perfect solution for this is to add Mek and then make a mining age with Mystcraft or visit any kind of new dimension with overworld-like ores that wasn't generated yet (Deep Dark) for osmium.

Edited by bochen415

As an alternative to retrogen, you could just use a copy of the existing world and see if the new mod ores spawn correctly in a new Mystcraft Age, or in a far-away mining base located in newly-generated chunks. Both will give you access to those ores. If you like the results, stick with the copied world.

Also, the dump feature of NEI can help with resolving ID conflicts. It's in the ingame NEI menu somewhere and will create a dump file with all IDs currently in the game, for reference.

Okay, no conflict message with Chisel, Mekanism and Open Blocks added. That's a good sign.

Edit: The mods seem to work fine. I can see all the recipes with NEI, but since I made a new world, it will take a while until I can create them.

The small problem I notice is a very tiny FPS drop.

Edited by dreamer1986

If you started a new world there will be a lot block updates in new generated chunks - plants growing, lava spreading, sand falling etc. The best example is visiting the vanilla jungle biome for the first time. This will drop FPS but after some time will stabilize.