1.8?

Sturlie

Okay so first I'm not asking when, I'm asking if. 

As is and as near as I can tell Tekkit is currently operating off of Minecraft 1.6 (if I'm reading it right) I'm just curious if there are plans to update to 1.8 at some point in the future (obviously after it becomes possible to do so, I heard about the forge bug)

You are way ahead in the future and request information that nobody has.

Forge for 1.8 development started couple days ago and nobody knows when (or if) it will end.

Ask again in January.... 2016

Edited by bochen415

The next big step will be the transition to 1.7.10, which has not even been announced yet for Tekkit. If the modpack remains in active development, it will certainly make the transitions together with the rest of the mod world. But there is also the looming question what will happen to the Minecraft mod world after the Microsoft deal. It might even delay or prevent the 1.7.10 transition. Nobody knows at this point.

Edited by Curunir

"99 bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, take one down patch it around, 128 bugs in the code"

Anyway, sorry to be a pest, I'm just not really sure how the system works or whats really considered normal so I thought here might be the best place to ask. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Thats more or less how bugs seem to work Sturlie, fix one bug and there may be another that popped up into its place because of the fix. Regardless, with the Microsoft deal having gone through now, little is known on their stance on the modding world. The modders will continue to do what they do until told otherwise and I do not foresee it stopping anytime soon. However for a 1.8 update to occur, Forge has to update (which only barely started to work a few days ago) and then the mods have to update to the new forge. And with forge probably having to update quite a bit for 1.8 still, it may take a few months at minimum before modders would feel safe to use forge to mod with.

True Curunir, but those types of bugs causes a bug to arise elsewhere. Plus those types of fix/bug relationships are much less common and often only result in a major update to java (ie: Java 7 to Java 8....major revision change, therefore chances are more probable) - this is true about anything that relies on a library outside of itself.