Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition

The only reason its on that version is because it was there when they started. Kinda...counterproductive to start the game design from scratch everytime it updates.
What is counterproductive is to have the same game have two nearly completely separate code bases for different platforms instead of unifying them.

I think the Xbox version was probably heavily optimized to run on it, since it's not really all that powerful compared to what you'd need to run a single client instance of minecraft, let alone a server with multiple people on it.

What is counterproductive is to have the same game have two nearly completely separate code bases for different platforms instead of unifying them.

I'd think seperate code bases would be a requirement, as Minecraft runs in Java, but the Xbox runs C++. Just give em timeto update it. The only reason it's not is because it'd be a pain in the ass to rewrite a ton of code every time Minecraft updated. Think of the trouble modders go through to update mods, only instead of mods, it's the game itself.

Nothing "runs" C++. Java is unique in that it has its own little pretend computer (the JVM) in which it runs, but other languages (like C++) just generate native machine code. You could use C or Pascal or C# or COBOL or whatever the hell you want. The languges include linkage facilities to coordinate between their differing stack structures for calling parameters.

The only possible limitation would be what language the dev tools provided by Microsoft are in. This doesn't prevent you from using any language you want, but it would cause you to have to write glue code if the languages differed, which might or might not be worth it.

Anyone who thinks the Xbox version is bug free hasn’t played it longs enough. My friends and I have played it for a while now and noticed major flaws in the game.

1. Water doesn’t load properly when placed.

2. There is a duplication glitch for it.

I'd think seperate code bases would be a requirement, as Minecraft runs in Java, but the Xbox runs C++. Just give em timeto update it. The only reason it's not is because it'd be a pain in the ass to rewrite a ton of code every time Minecraft updated. Think of the trouble modders go through to update mods, only instead of mods, it's the game itself.

4 code bases, I think.

Java, XBox, iOS, and Android.

I think what he meant by slow was the control sensitivity which I did have to turn way up.

Exactly what I meant.

I think the Xbox version was probably heavily optimized to run on it, since it's not really all that powerful compared to what you'd need to run a single client instance of minecraft, let alone a server with multiple people on it.

I think they actually managed to make it look a bit worse. I was watching the Yogscast guys play it and the sand on the beach they were near looked absolutely horrid from a distance. May have just been the resolution though.

Pretty sure Java runs on Android, but I could be wrong.

Java is the primary development language for Android, yes, but I was trying to differentiate the version that you download from minecraft.net (Vanilla Release 1.2.5)

The Android version of Minecraft was a port/reimplementation of the full client. It was originally a purely creative mode, and then due to fan outrage/concern, they slowly added survival aspects, and a bit of crafting.

Nothing "runs" C++. Java is unique in that it has its own little pretend computer (the JVM) in which it runs, but other languages (like C++) just generate native machine code. You could use C or Pascal or C# or COBOL or whatever the hell you want. The languges include linkage facilities to coordinate between their differing stack structures for calling parameters.

The only possible limitation would be what language the dev tools provided by Microsoft are in. This doesn't prevent you from using any language you want, but it would cause you to have to write glue code if the languages differed, which might or might not be worth it.

I think you misinterpreted that, the xbox just goes "FUCK YOU!" when it sees java, and refuses to run it.

As expected, Microsoft started handing out refunds, since the "HDMI Only for split-screen" thing wasn't stated on the game page on the arcade. I don't even why they need HDMI... (because of the quality?)

Undoubtedly not, because I would be shocked if they bothered to do any optimization rewriting at all instead of just throwing the damn thing up as soon as it compiled. (Considering the PC version runs my processor hotter than any other game or application on my computer besides the video encoder, and still gets a lower framerate. 30-40 fps with a 256x texture pack is just amazing, man. Especially since I get a lower framerate than that with vanilla without Optifine, no shit.)

Imagine minecraft... in LUA.

Ya know, Notch wanted to code it in lua at first..

Lua or C++... I don't really know the difference, but I guess they're both better than java, since Java's way of using RAM and CPU smartly is a bit different.

Take Terraria, for example. You have so many different blocks, NPCs, and more graphical shit and it uses them wisely, I barely get any lag on it.

Minecraft, on the other hand, gives me 2FPS on my old laptop, but 60-40FPS on my gaming laptop.

There's a difference.

Java can run quite nicely if used well. (Of course, native code will always be faster, but that doesn't mean Java is inherently bad.)

The problem is, Notch is terrible at coding, especially in Java. His code is inefficient and redundant, doing all kinds of unnecessary calculations. He instantiates classes all over the place that serve no purpose, that would be much-better handled by simple static class methods. He uses very little caching and refcounting, instead doing deep calculation for every block during every tick, frequently unloading and reloading things multiple times in the same function.

I guarantee you, Minecraft as it stands could run just as smoothly as Terraria, even in Java, had Notch actually known what he's doing.

Go back and read what PsychoBob said that I'm referring to, because you're shooting arrows blindly into the darkness.

oh, derp, I was. I thought you meant that the JVM can run on an xbox, when really the xbox just grows a large middle finger.