How would YOU balance the game?

dimondmine2

This is a brainstorm of ideas for mods, tweaks, etc, that would balance the technic experience. While still keeping the feel already associated with technic.

So here is a bulletpoint list of ideas that would make the game more challenging.

Environmental:Cave in's (makes using the destruction catalyst a bit more risky)[good example but not updated http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/157524-v181ogreseans-mods-mods-updated-for-181/#12] , tornados (http://www.coros.us/mods/tornadoes, would cause you to worry about your quarry's, farms, etc.), volcanos (currently waiting for elloram to add features to her volcanoes.), Water related (Jakj has been a boss and added compatibility with finite liquids),

Mobs: One idea is to have some resource in a better dungeons chest that is necessary to progress, and is unobtainable anywhere else. Digging zombies, zombies that don't take knock back, mobs that will use balcons weapon's mod weapons (zombies with a diamond battle axe, skeletons with a blunderbuss, creepers that spit dynamite). Endermen who see a industrial machine/mechanism/pipe etc, will teleport to it and pick it up.

Survival: Thirst, faster hunger drain, slower health regain, if you bump into a block while walking backwards you trip, (same thing if walking backwards and you fall a block),

Please comment with ideas, criticism, and for those who know java, which would be easy to implement.

Ok, whats your point? I understand that we may have different styles of play for minecraft. But for me being in creative and spawning stuff isn't fun, and once you get EE going you never have to worry about dying again. My play style is hardcore, and Ive been playing for almost 2 years. There is no difficulty increase like that of standard games. While the difficulty stays the same, you get better and better resources for dealing with that difficulty. As an example, if you played dwarf fortress and the sieges never got bigger, and there were no catastrophes that made you split hairs. Then what fun would that be? I want to be fearful when I play minecraft, I want be constantly looking over my shoulder, sweating with adrenaline, jumping out of my seat because something unexpected happened. That is the minecraft that I want to play. What use is a fortress with traps, if a dirt house is just as protective.

Most (but not all) of that is either already implemented in some mod or other, or is not too difficult to implement. Almost all of it would require base-class modification, though, which is a compatibility headache even if you build with Forge.

Damn, what if you added a mob instead of modifying ones already implemented by minecraft (@BurningCake I agree the survival part is a bit eh). Also, BurningCake, you said you liked the environmental parts, which ones do you like the most?

Well, cave-ins I thought should have been an essential part of the vanilla game. As for volcanos, I'm waiting for Eloram to make her volcanos better and explode everywhere. :P

As for the tornados mod, I would be okay with that, if they were rare, and didn't screw *everything* up.

The Environment part is quiet good. The Survival part is... a bit eh. I already starve to death half the time.

How on earth do you starve to death? Unless you're playing 1.1...look for forest, chop down a bunch of trees...apples! Otherwise, fish, farm, kill pigs/cows/chickens, you name it, it's really easy to get food in 1.2 (and before, even).

Ok, so far I have the impression that cave ins are a high priority (BurningCake, have any ideas as to how they would work?). Elloram will EVENTUALLY add awesomeness to volcanoes. And tornadoes are ok, so long as they are rare (one strong one seen maybe every 20 mc days sounds rare enough to me). And JakJ, would it be possible to add ic2 armor to better dungeons mobs? my idea is to trigger an event when you get to a certain point in Industrial craft where a siege of mining lazer wielding skeletons and zombies with nano sabers all decked out nano armor siege your base.

I feel that there a few issues with some mods in Tekkit as it is. I'll try to make this crisp and delineated (my chem teacher's favorite word).

1. Fall damage, especially with jetpacks, is a bit off. It should be based on speed of impact, and not by distance fallen. It seems off that you get killed if you use a jetpack to slow a 40 block fall to the speed of a 2 block fall.

2. Drowning can be a pain to get out of, especially with the knockdown.

3. Jetpacks shut off with damage taken. It ticks me off a lot, especially in the Nether.

4. Health should be healable, like it was in pre-hunger beta. Maybe add some potions or special foods.

• 1 month later...

if i could i would remove everything that was offerd for free and put alot more risk in and provide counters to those risks.

simply to say i like the cave in idea and for a mech if i could i would make it so that you need to build mineshafts much in the way the adandoned ones are generated and for every additional block apart the ceiling supports are i would add a 10% chance for that stretch of ceiling to fail.

so yes i like the idea of failing mineshafts in tekkit.

but sadly i am currently illiturate in any form of code.

• 1 month later...

if i could i would remove everything that was offerd for free and put alot more risk in and provide counters to those risks.

simply to say i like the cave in idea and for a mech if i could i would make it so that you need to build mineshafts much in the way the adandoned ones are generated and for every additional block apart the ceiling supports are i would add a 10% chance for that stretch of ceiling to fail.

so yes i like the idea of failing mineshafts in tekkit.

but sadly i am currently illiturate in any form of code.

you just want to watch the world die,dont you...and thats a bit of a stupid idea,seeing as most naturally generated caves and ravines would cave in.And most blocks are unaffected by gravity for a reason.Dont go ruiing a perfectly good system with your reality.