Energy Link with Quarry

Hi Folks,

I've done a heap of searching and am turning up nothing. Perhaps the term "energy link minecraft" is a bit too wide!

The electricity 101 is hard reading and I need to spend more time on it than I've got.

I was previously using - low voltage solar array (x2) -> Bat box (x2) -> Electric Engine -> Quarry -> Ender Chest

Now, I'm going to use the energy link, and this is how I understand it...

Low voltage array (x2) -> Energy Link -> Quarry Ender Chest

... the link drains everything so the bat box is useless, if I read correctly. If I also understand right, the LV arrays both put out 32 packets and the energy link will pass on those packets as input, so I don't need to transform down; do I have that right?

So, my other question is, as the energy link appears to have no output side, how do I connect it to the quarry. I read of people using conductive pipes, but I'm concerned that the quarry would try and spit the contents out through the pipe rather than the ender chest, so I'm not sure how to go about connecting the two.

If someone can tell me what's missing, or point me at a video tutorial, I'd be grateful for the help.

Also, if I wanted to use medium voltage arrays, should I transform down between the arrays and the energy link, or between the energy link and the quarry ... and why?

Basically the Energy just has to be connected through any power source like a MFE, etc.

It drains about 74 EU/t and can run 3 quarries at the same time.

As for connecting it to the Quarries I had a transport pipe and a just conductive pipe and I don't think it's very picky with how you connect it.

quarryu.th.png

energylink.th.png

Hi Folks,

I've done a heap of searching and am turning up nothing. Perhaps the term "energy link minecraft" is a bit too wide!

The electricity 101 is hard reading and I need to spend more time on it than I've got.

I was previously using - low voltage solar array (x2) -> Bat box (x2) -> Electric Engine -> Quarry -> Ender Chest

Now, I'm going to use the energy link, and this is how I understand it...

Low voltage array (x2) -> Energy Link -> Quarry Ender Chest

... the link drains everything so the bat box is useless, if I read correctly. If I also understand right, the LV arrays both put out 32 packets and the energy link will pass on those packets as input, so I don't need to transform down; do I have that right?

So, my other question is, as the energy link appears to have no output side, how do I connect it to the quarry. I read of people using conductive pipes, but I'm concerned that the quarry would try and spit the contents out through the pipe rather than the ender chest, so I'm not sure how to go about connecting the two.

If someone can tell me what's missing, or point me at a video tutorial, I'd be grateful for the help.

Also, if I wanted to use medium voltage arrays, should I transform down between the arrays and the energy link, or between the energy link and the quarry ... and why?

Conductive pipes can only carry power. A Buildcraft quarry is smart enough to not try to spit items into a conductive pipe.

Energy Links will accept any voltage input. Output should be to a wooden conductive pipe, and then through the stone or gold conductive pipes.

Quarrys can't be directly shut off. You have to break the power connection to stop them. Even then, it'll continue for a little bit, as the quarry has an internal power buffer.

If I'm not mistaken you can turn off the energy link by providing it with a redstone signal.

Judging by what I've seen it is not a good idea to just power one machine with a energy link. As it will always produce more build craft energy then that machine can take while eating every bit of EU it can. It seems that it would be best used in your base to power a conductive pipe network with power transport pipes to your out of base machines. Since it just seems horribly inefficient to deploy out in the field to me.

Energy Link will stop powering Buildcraft stuff if you supply it with a redstone signal. (n.b.: Both the Quarry and the Energy Link have internal energy buffers. The Quarry will keep going for a bit after you disable the energy link with redstone signal, the Energy Link will keep the Quarry going even longer if you simply remove it's IndustrialCraft power supply.)

The Link draws 22 EU/tic if it's adjacent to a quarry, but if you use pipes (including power teleport pipes) it'll draw 72 EU/tic no matter how many quarries draw on it. (I've tried up to 8.)

So you're better off with a link adjacent to your quarry if you're running 3 or fewer at once. You're better off piping your power if you're using 4 or more quarries at once.

• 2 weeks later...

That's exactly how I do it in many cases, except I like to have an auto-shutoff for quarries when they pick up something that could indicate a dungeon, abandoned mineshaft, stronghold, or player tunnel. That requires logic, though I could have a manual shutoff that's just a lever on the link, I prefer to have the lever on a redstone lamp so I can see at-a-glance if it's running.

From what I understand of energy link, is it attempts to draw as much EU is as nessassary to max out the amout of buildcraft energy of the oject attached to it.

Pipes themselves are capable of trasporting way more power then a quarry can use, thus why you get the higher drain when using a pipe between the link and buildcraft objects.

That said, I'm not /entirely sure/ but could you use a batbox to ensure it never takes more then 32?

Find it annoying that the energy link really does use all the energy. I used to make a solar panel with a mfe and a electrical engine, that way it works day and most of the night. I do see it is going a bit faster now, but it looks like it uses way more energy than it goes any faster. Would like to see some way to regulate the power usage of the energy link :S

Find it annoying that the energy link really does use all the energy. I used to make a solar panel with a mfe and a electrical engine, that way it works day and most of the night. I do see it is going a bit faster now, but it looks like it uses way more energy than it goes any faster. Would like to see some way to regulate the power usage of the energy link :S
You could totally make an RP2 toggle supplying redstone to the link, and attache a timer to that, forcing the Link to be on half of the time and off the other half.

EDIT: or you could do what i do for my mass fab:

connect it to an energy storage block, like an MFE, and set the redstone behavior to "emit if partially filled", and link the redstone up to the energy link/mass fab. That way, it will only send a packet or two at a time. You won't waste any of your power generation, or time.

Would like to see some way to regulate the power usage of the energy link :S

The best way I've found of doing so is simply to put the link on an independent power supply. For example, I run my main base off several MV solar arrays, but my quarries run off a link (via teleport pipe) with a two dedicated LV solar arrays. This limits the link to the 16 EU/t produced by its solars, preventing it from being a drain on my main supply, while still providing plenty of power to run multiple quarries.

Well, I found the timer idea of Jay very good! Didn't worked that well with a MFE block and a LV solar array. What I did now is simply placing a NOR gate next to the energy links which provides a constant redpower unless one of the other gates gets powered. Next to the NOR gate I placed the timer and set it to 23 seconds. My quarry keeps running and doesn't drain my whole MFE at once. During the day my MFE get's charged up bit by bit and it will make the quarry continue during the night. Quarry seems to be running at normal speed... Thanks for the help :)

edit: I meant a NOR gate instead of a OR gate.