Red power Mining machine help

joe5

hi,

In an attempt to automate our resource collection process a large portion of my server constructed a masive redpower mining machine. it operations using the traditional horizantal block breaker system and, when functional has been ver succesfull at providing materials. unfortunatly, it is prone jamming when lava and water form underneath it and prevent it from moving into its down position. If anyone has an idea how to eliminate this problem the help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

okay:

This is a picture of the hole build, it is just a basic duel axis, brodcast powered tunneler.

2012-06-27_191525.png?t=1340850675

This is a picture of the drill bank.

2012-06-27_191328.png?t=1340850595

This is a picture of the problem, when the drill bank was in the up position water and lava combined to create the peice of coble shown below. that piece of coble is preventing the machine from moving down and completing its drill cycle.

2012-06-27_191542.png?t=1340850727

A side to side motion instead of up and down would be ideal in this circumstance. However, changing up the entire drill head doesn't look fun. What I'd recommend is changing your drill cycle so that you back up one block, move the head down safely, then dig away the interference, and continue on.

(Drill head starts in the down position)

-Dig

-HeadUp

-Dig

-MoveBack

-HeadDown

-Dig

-MoveForward

-Dig

-MoveFoward

This takes longer to perform than simply going Dig, HeadUp, Dig, HeadDown, MoveForward. The solution to that is to add an item detector, so that, if ever no items are passing through the tubes from the block breakers, that means the system is jammed and you need to run the above operation.

While a hardware redesign would be the best bet, this software redesign should work with your current build.

Thank you very much for the help, we have implemented a hardware solution that replicates what you proposed above and when their is somone nearby all is fine. However, as soon as people move away it shuts down. This is despite multiple world anchors and it restarts immediately upon the return of a player to its vicinity. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Do frames work with chunk-loaders?

Thanks

As frames are a fairly new edition to the mod, I don't know all their intricacies and conflicts. They may indeed have trouble with moving chunk loaders. The chunk seems to unload while the loaders are in transit. What I do on my builds, is put a deployer on the back of the machine. I then program it to deploy a chunk loader every couple blocks. The number of blocks could range from 16 to 48 depending on how large your machine is. You want all parts of it to be covered at all times. Play around with the positioning or consider adding a second chunk deployer. If you watch Direwolf20's quarry build, you'll see he runs into a similar issue. There might be a fix coming in future updates, but for now we'll just have to work around it.

Or, you could just pay someone a hefty amount of industrial credits to stand guard over the machine at all times, and leave their computer afk overnight. :P

ps. If your going to implement my solution, I'd strongly recommend using teleport tethers as they're insanely cheaper to build and mass produce than world anchors, even though I find the latter to be more reliable.

Edit: Upon re-reading your post, I thought of something. Is chunk loading enabled in your server config? That may actually be the source of your problems. It was for me.

Hidden

YANGTZECOOLING is ice machine manufacturer.Compared with all kinds of ice maker manufacturer,we pay more attention to the quality of the flake ice machine.Our products including flake ice machine,ice block machine,marine ice machine,ice machine evaporator and concrete cooling system.

products.html

YANGTZECOOLING ICE SYSTEM CO.,LIMITED

Tel: 0086-757-81019142

Fax: 0086-757-86083952

Email: [email protected]

hmm, I have been using a system of bock breakers and deployers to accomplish much the same thing (the two black things in the top picture) with a rolling caterpillar of anchors. however, I am not one hundred percent sure that chunk-loading is still enabled so I will check on that.

good idea, though at the moment it does have a habit of crashing peoples clients if they spend to much time in its vicinity.

is the system your are talking about on smp?

hmm, I have been using a system of bock breakers and deployers to accomplish much the same thing (the two black things in the top picture) with a rolling caterpillar of anchors. however, I am not one hundred percent sure that chunk-loading is still enabled so I will check on that.

good idea, though at the moment it does have a habit of crashing peoples clients if they spend to much time in its vicinity.

is the system your are talking about on smp?

The larger bores I have built have been exclusively on ssp, but my friends and I built a small quarry on smp (teaching them FOURTH was fun lol :P). Took a while to realize we simply had forgotten to set chunk loading to true in the server config.

do you mean the railcraft config or a different one?

interestingly enough, the most efficient system is actually a solid boar head that does not move at all and simply moves forward munching as it goes. it is a little more sophisticated from a construction perspective but it is perfectly doable and very very hard to jam (not to mention fast). we are using that system on the bottom of the build above but discovered it to late to use it for the main drill head.

One word: turtlez. Lots and lots of wireless mining turtlez sitting under a single-direction inchworm drive with a world anchor cart and a ender chest sitting at the top. Mine to bedrock, deposit resources, reattach to mothership, move a few blocks further, repeat. Infinite resources. ^_^