Any Advise?

Hello,

I have been running Bukkit server for a little over a year now. I have a lot of experience with plugins and their configurations and have, like most of you, gone through several bumpy Minecraft\Bukkit updates. So, dealing with issues and what not is not new to me... however, if at all possible, I prefer to avoid them from the beginning!

Anyways.... I'm wanting to run Tekkit on my server and was wondering if any of you Tekkit veterans have any advise on setting up a Tekkit server that is safe from grief and free of map corruption?

I have taken a look at " Useful Guides/Links [server Setup Guides/Fixes/Patches/More!]" section. And cant tell if some of that info is up to date and/or applies to the current version of Tekkit. And since I have zero experience with this type of modification....I think I might need a little guidance.

Currently I don't worry to much about griefing... it happens, but not very often. However, I do use some protection plugins: Core Protect, iZone, Safeworld, and Deadbolt

Should I use the patches found here?: "Patch for EE DM/RM Tools - Protect your server from griefing!", or are they already implemented in the current version of Tekkit?

My biggest concern is world corruption. In a fresh test map I have seen giant underground caverns with chunks of ores floating in the air. Is this corruption? If so, what causes this? How can I avoid this?

Any ideas or advise will be greatly appreciated.

~Jun~ MOD EDIT: don't sign your posts.

Hello,

I have been running Bukkit server for a little over a year now. I have a lot of experience with plugins and their configurations and have, like most of you, gone through several bumpy Minecraft\Bukkit updates. So, dealing with issues and what not is not new to me... however, if at all possible, I prefer to avoid them from the beginning!

Anyways.... I'm wanting to run Tekkit on my server and was wondering if any of you Tekkit veterans have any advise on setting up a Tekkit server that is safe from grief and free of map corruption?

I have taken a look at " Useful Guides/Links [server Setup Guides/Fixes/Patches/More!]" section. And cant tell if some of that info is up to date and/or applies to the current version of Tekkit. And since I have zero experience with this type of modification....I think I might need a little guidance.

Currently I don't worry to much about griefing... it happens, but not very often. However, I do use some protection plugins: Core Protect, iZone, Safeworld, and Deadbolt

Should I use the patches found here?: "Patch for EE DM/RM Tools - Protect your server from griefing!", or are they already implemented in the current version of Tekkit?

My biggest concern is world corruption. In a fresh test map I have seen giant underground caverns with chunks of ores floating in the air. Is this corruption? If so, what causes this? How can I avoid this?

Any ideas or advise will be greatly appreciated.

~Jun~

This will get you a relatively safe server. There will be bad times regardless of how many precautions you take, so BACKUP OFTEN.

1) Remove the EE mod. Don't minimize it like some would advise. Avoid it like the plague.

2) Look for AlienX's thread and download his custom WorldEdit/WorldGuard. There's a link to it in one of the stickys.

3) Download the latest version of IC2 from the Mod Central. It fixes a lot of things related to security and protection plugins.

4) Either disable or tone down nukes & reactor explosions in the IC2 config. Nukes will damage protected land no matter what plugin you use.

5) CoreProtect works fine. If you want Factions, get the 1.7.5 version.

6) Get SofterLandings plugin from Bukkitdev to avoid instant death when landing with jetpack.

Dynamite & mining laser (in Explosive mode only) can and will bypass all protections like the nuke does, so disable them as you see fit. No laser is a deal breaker for a lot of people so I'd keep it there and only remove it if it becomes too misused on your server.

This will get you a relatively safe server. There will be bad times regardless of how many precautions you take, so BACKUP OFTEN.

1) Remove the EE mod. Don't minimize it like some would advise. Avoid it like the plague.

2) Look for AlienX's thread and download his custom WorldEdit/WorldGuard. There's a link to it in one of the stickys.

3) Download the latest version of IC2 from the Mod Central. It fixes a lot of things related to security and protection plugins.

4) Either disable or tone down nukes & reactor explosions in the IC2 config. Nukes will damage protected land no matter what plugin you use.

5) CoreProtect works fine. If you want Factions, get the 1.7.5 version.

6) Get SofterLandings plugin from Bukkitdev to avoid instant death when landing with jetpack.

Dynamite & mining laser (in Explosive mode only) can and will bypass all protections like the nuke does, so disable them as you see fit. No laser is a deal breaker for a lot of people so I'd keep it there and only remove it if it becomes too misused on your server.

Thanks for the tips.

I tested the nukes and mining laser with iZone... the nukes were not able to destroy the protected area... however.... that mining laser is nasty!

I'd suggest keeping the Harvest Goddess band from EE enabled. It allows you to walk on your IC2 crops without the fear of trampling them. The portable crafting table (i.e. Philosophers stone) is essential as well to create the aternales fuel without collectors enabled. You can disable the transmutation ability of the philosophers stone in the config I believe.

Other than that one ring, it will be up to you if you want to keep the other items enabled for your admins to build with (Hyper kinetic lens = aww inspiring caverns).

I'd suggest keeping the Harvest Goddess band from EE enabled. It allows you to walk on your IC2 crops without the fear of trampling them. The portable crafting table (i.e. Philosophers stone) is essential as well to create the aternales fuel without collectors enabled. You can disable the transmutation ability of the philosophers stone in the config I believe.

Other than that one ring, it will be up to you if you want to keep the other items enabled for your admins to build with (Hyper kinetic lens = aww inspiring caverns).

I am not sure if it's pertinent to keep... 3 items only from a mod who adds tens. I understand they're very useful though, but I can't imagine playing EE and skipping all the tiers between the philosopher stone and the dark matter tools/artefacts.

the EE tools patch you linked specifically says it is for tekkit 3.0.4, which is the latest version. so yes, it is needed if you want to keep EE tools in check without removing them completely.

Super! Just tested the patch... it works... at least until some super genius player discovers a work around! Lol.

Thanks for the suggestions... I appreciate it greatly.