Am I totally missing something?

The Tekkit server package is everything you need, including the server .jar files. The Tekkit team does not include any plugins with the install. This doesn't mean that it not a Bukkit server. You can install whatever plugins you like.

As far as converting a world, it's probably possible but would be very tedious, OR you just plop it on the Tekkit server and be aware that new ores and other mod world items will only be populating in newly loaded chunks.

technic (mods) + bukkit = tekkit (crafty huh?)

Installation instructions are hardly needed for. Just extract it and fire it up. If you REALLY need installation instructions, try googling "craftbukkit install" - since tekkit essentially is craftbukkit, the same rules should apply to tekkit as well.

Thanks for the replies.

I host my server on Beastnode, in order to run a different server package to the ones they supply I will need to rename the .jar file, will Tekkit be happy with this?

I should also ask, does Tekkit work with the SpoutCraft client, or do I need a special Technics client?

just rename tekkit to craftbukkit.jar (I guess that's what you wanted to do?) - it will have no impact on server whatsoever.

Tekkit does work with spoutcraft, but in a VERY limited way - first of all, you need to get the EXACT build that works with the craftbukkit build tekkit uses, and even then it might cause some conflicts. I strongly suggest that you don't mix spoutcraft and tekkit if you're new to this (I only got it to work with tekkit 2.1.0, not even gonna try with tekkit 3)

Thats a real pity, I'm not using the Spout server side things, just the client, which I find very easy and lightweight compared to Minecraft vanilla, it allows me to run Minecraft client on machines that just won't run Minecraft otherwise.

I just uploaded Tekkit to my server, and when I tried to login it said

This server requires you to have Minecraft forge installed.

OK. got it working, seemingly anyway.

Gone back to the default texture pack, and no Spout options to autodownload and install, so I guess I will have to find my texture pack manually :(

Oh well, a job for tomorrow, for now its time for bed.

Thanks for peoples help, but I do think the website itself could do with some helpful instructions, my questions were the very basics, yet seemingly not covered.

Err, not really obvious at all, I don't think I deserve that kind of comment at all, exactly how is it obvious? What makes it obvious? A link? I count 32 links on the front page before the fold on my monitor, which one of those 32 links obviously informs me what to do?

How is something (apparently unsaid) obvious to anyone except those that already know?

It was meant as a friendly teasing... nonetheless, It's obvious to me and seemingly a lot of other players. Why it wasn't for you.. well only you know that, I can only guess.

which one of those 32 links obviously informs me what to do?

because it says "Launcher" right above the launcher links.

And its obvious is it that that launcher is needed? Not for me, as I've already stated I come from the spout arena of Minecraft mods, and spout servers do not require the Spout client unless the OP says so, it is dangerous to assume that people known what you know.

But hey, if its that obvious and easy, you explain to me why I now have loads of "Unknown xxx" items, and why placing things like an iron furnace give me an internal server error.