Tekkit RP2 Frame Elevator Design

zagrom

An elevator of our own design...

52c8dde9d6d46f32b3f575833fcb0bf5ccad05d2

Fancy Post since were linked to the main page:

This is a rp2 elevator me and dev made on our Tekkit server. Took us a week to design and build the original v1 design. We came up with a few modifications to the design and released the tutorial as the v2 design which is more stable, and smaller then its original v1 design. v3 is in the works and in theory the size of elevator it can support could double in size with out the logic size changing much too much. Only time will tell.

Original video:

Tutorial Episode 1: The Shaft

Tutorial Episode 2: The Logic

We plan to make more stuff like this, not elevator related necessarily, but tekkit builds. Seriously, give use a reasonable challenge, something you haven't seen, me and dev might make it, or at least well try.

Original post:

Will only be appreciated by those that understand its complexity I believe, But still feel free to take a look =D

This isnt a tutorial, just showing it off a little, a tutorial will be made if people show interest in it.

If you have any other complex building ideas let me know and Ill see if we can make something out of it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way it is designed, assuming you have the lock out timer set longer then it would take for the elevator to get from top to bottom then only the first button press will be processed and everything else will be ignored until the timer ends, the only thing that can possibly override this is the emergency button, but if you happen to press that while moving and somehow manage to get stuck (you shouldn't) then you just press the emergency button again and you go back to the bottom, no problem.

In the v1 of this design the only bug there was when you got lucky pressing the call button while the elevator was pssing a detector on another floor. But as of v2 (again, assuming you set it up right) then this should be impossible.

Thanks for the comment.

(While typing this it made me thing of some stuff and the emergency button may be nothing but a flaw and might be better if removed all together. If a v3 is made then this is likely, saving even a little more space)

Oh jeez, this got stickied? Amazing thank you =D

I was wondering why I was suddenly getting so may views and subs haha.

Edit: Good lord on the Tekkit homepage too wow. If thats there can I request that devryb's username be added as well as I couldn't have made that without his help.

Thanks, seriously

Thank you The Merchant of Menace for the sticky :)

I have been toying some ideas for a v3 design that would allow you to have double the floors with the same amount of space requirements.

Though logic would still be horrendous lol.

im planning on making an elevator for my basement in the server im on with an inchworm drive but it will have a button to go all the way up and buttons to go down and up because of the /home command

If it only has 2 floors it should be easy. If you want a tutorial on the simple elevator we had made (the mini one I used in the first video to get to all the wiring) its pretty simple. Just has an up and a down, and would in theory go 2x faster then on using a inchworm drive as one of our minis would move for example 1 block per tick while the other would need 2 ticks per block, as it would have to move the floor and then the rest of the drive and then repeat. Tho if your just doing it to have the drive then thats cool too. I haven't yet learned to make them but dev is quite good with them. Made both a rp2 quarry and a bore using them.

Is there a way to do this with the logic but use computercraft via wireless modem to select the floors?

Potentially, its something we will be looking into. Tho atm none of us are highly skilled with CC, at least not in this sort of manner and as much as dev knows about rp2 pcs there isn't a reliable way for it to detect buttons that he knows of yet. In time perhaps. If we figure it out we will publish it im sure.

As much as Im sure a complex elevator can be done with a PC, I believe our goal was to make one that still felt like a real elevator, and a part of that means buttons. From what I have seen (I could very easily be incorrect) this is hard to do with PCs, notice a button press I mean, instead you have to type on the PC itself like "F3" or something and it takes you to floor 3, and that sorta takes away from it I feel. And keeping the complexity of the other RP2 elements is nice I think. The main + to a cc powered elevator I feel is cause people can just get the code and walk off happily cause now they get an elevator (or whatever really) and don't have to learn much to make it work. And that fine too, personally I like a bit of a challenge.

But like I said before, if you can incorporate a PC in a later version, it will likely happen.

I did not want to take away from the feel of the elevator I was just thinking two things. If it can be done the wiring would be MUCH more compact and two that way t would only take up one block to pick a floor. I still love your design I just wish the buttons were all on one block. Maybe if littleblockmod can be incorporated I could get it to work for my map alone.

Im not disagreeing with you =D

I see your points and do agree that it can be made smaller this way (assuming one knows how to do the code) if we can have a pc hidden in the background to control some things to keep wiring smaller and simpler but keep buttons then we will release a version like that.