Cobble Generator - 1 diamond every 8 minutes [easily expandable]

Hi all

This is my first guide so bear with me :)

[basic knowledge of tekkit is assumed eg dealing with pipes and energy condensers.]

Just thought I'd give you a simple little project to undertake, it's good as a first tekkit project.

It's a fully automated cobblestone generator/harvester, which you can hook directly into an energy condenser, where the cobblestone can be turned into a diamond, at the rate of 1 diamond in about 8 minutes [if my maths is correct ;)]

It uses a water source block, and a lava source block to create cobble, then a block breaker connected with a redstone clock to automatically harvest the cobble created at intervals. The cobble will automatically be picked up by an obsidian pipe, and travel along pipes to the energy condenser.

The project is quite expensive in terms of items needed to get it set up, but it should work forever, so you'll get your items back and more in due time.

There are 2 versions, one which uses wireless redstone, which is obviously slightly more expensive, but the cheaper version just uses redstone, at the cost of 1 extra block horizontal width.

Here is the cobble generator working:

2012-07-09_012248.png

This is the cross sectional picture of each harvesting block of the generator

crosssection.png

The slightly more compact wireless variant:

crosssectionwireless.png

• The brown is dirt
  • The blue is water
  • The orange is lava
  • The grey/brown line is the block breaker, aiming downwards.
  • The redstone is in the centre, with repeaters aiming at each block breaker through a dirt block
  • The purple pipes are obsidian pipes, and the grey ones are cobble/stone pipes.

Build it like shown in the cross section, 12 blocks deep, for a total of 24 block breakers, 24 water buckets, 24 lava buckets (etc)

[The redstone in the middle can be removed if using wireless receivers as it is not needed.. see photo 1]

Hook the redstone directly to the wire between the repeaters, or to the wireless transmitter, if using the wireless approach, to a redpower "timer" block.

Right click on the timer and set it to 1.5s. I found this to be the most stable time period. Put a lever next to the timer to power it, and the generator will begin harvesting.

2012-07-09_012241.png

Link up the pipes all together in the roof (using iron pipes to ensure they all flow the correct way) and feed it into an energy condenser.

There we go, easy! :)

Hopefully you shouldn't have any problems, but if you do, post a reply below.

Notes:

• Light up the area with torches, this means the game doesn't have to process the lighting updates from the redstone flashing on and off, resulting in a bit less lag.
  • This can be expanded fairly easily, simply by making it deeper, using the same diagram as shown in the cross section. Be aware if using the cheaper (non wireless) approach, the redstone will run out of current after 15 blocks, so a repeater is needed to continue the signal
  • This might get a little laggy if you are not on a professionally hosted server.

It would be even more effective if you just stacked up, one by one and make sure that you do not put splitters in between, I will post a pic soon

Edit: Also it is resource friendly, meaning it doesn't use much resources.

Good suggestions, I am quite new to red power, so I haven't used the tubes much yet, gotta give that a go ;)

I didn't think the redpower redstone worked through a block though, maybe i'm mistaken, or that was updated with a new patch.

Good suggestions, I am quite new to red power, so I haven't used the tubes much yet, gotta give that a go ;)

I didn't think the redpower redstone worked through a block though, maybe i'm mistaken, or that was updated with a new patch.

Ill post a pic to show you :)

This is how I did it before.

2012-07-10_093805.png

Note the water, if you remove the glass blocks shown here, it will create a 2x2 waterspring and that turns the lava into obsidian. So to avoid that, there MUST be a 2x2 hole right under the lowest layer, so the water from the two springs goes down.

This design is stackable and there is redstone tubes used in here for compactness. You can expand this design to the sides, but making it too big can cause tons of lag. All you have to do here is stack some layers on top of eachother and connect the redstone tubes together into whatever you want.

My first question would be, why waste your time with a cobblestone generator? Mooshroom farms are much more efficient and are much quicker (Average of 1 diamond every 2 minutes if setup properly). On the other hand, this looks quite interesting. Good work... I think.

• 3 weeks later...