Best starting spot

Bill

I have set up a temp home. Gotten tons of ores and stuff and now looking to set out and make a permanent home. What should i look for, land forms, lots of oil, oceans, little oceans, what? Please give me our suggestions.

I have set up a temp home. Gotten tons of ores and stuff and now looking to set out and make a permanent home. What should i look for, land forms, lots of oil, oceans, little oceans, what? Please give me our suggestions.

My boyfriend and I built on a Mushroom Biome. We used the lost seed and set up shop. Lots of good mining without monsters, and a big underground mine below the biome which you can explore without worry.

As for where you should set up shop, if you want quick ECs, finding oils sources is nice, but I wouldn't recommend building near one since you can exhaust oil supplies very fast. What you should do is make a tablet, make a bucket, fill your inventory with buckets, and bucket up the oil and just make a Klein star and destroy the oil; converting it to ECs. Can get full diamond in no time this way, but you will need some obsidian first.

Personally, I go for visually appealing, with areas that give me lots of room to build, such as Plains. I avoid areas next to oceans because if I want to expand later, I am stuck using the mercurial eye to fill in large areas of ocean, which is not fun.

Swamps are best if you plan on doing IC2 crops, plus the water helps isolate where hostiles can spawn and IC2 rubber trees are most common in them.

Remember that surface land is a minor concern, you can build floating airships, underwater glass habitats, or clear out a massive underground cavern for build space quite easily.

I'm partial to towers myself. Clear out a chunk from bedrock to sky ceiling and you've got easily enough space to build anything you want.

Clear out a chunk from bedrock to sky ceiling and you've got easily enough space to build anything you want.

Now you're talking about chunks, just a small question I break my about over.

Are chunks 16x16 or bigger/smaller? Because when I watch the chunk grid that the teleport tether shows, it shows that the perimeter of 1 chunk is 17x17. So what is it? 16x16 or 17x17?

Neowulf, your explanation is confusing, and probably wrong.

Chunk boundaries lie directly at multiples of 16. So, the "first fully positive chunk" would have 0.5, 0.5 as the center of its SW corner block. The NE corner block would be centered at 15.5, 15.5. The chunk itself would go from (0.0,0.0) to (16.0,16.0). The "first fully negative chunk" would go from (0.0,0.0) to (-16.0,-16.0).

If you are standing at (1.0, 1.0), then you are at the intersection of 4 blocks. You are 1.0 meter from the chunk boundary in the x direction, and also 1.0 meter from the chunk boundary in the z direction.

But the rest of what you said is correct. All chunks are 16x16. The chunk boundary that Industrial Miner saw (17x17) sounds like it is incorrect.

-----

Neowulf also mentioned the importance of finding a swamp. If you are playing on a server with EE enabled, you just need to find one rubber tree and get sticky resin from it. Then, once you build your base and transmutation table, you can make as much resin as you want, and never worry about a rubber tree farm. But, if you are playing on a server without EE, or you just choose not to use it, then swamps are suddenly very important. You'll eventually need to go on a rubber tree hunting expedition, and gather as many saplings as you can, and swamps are the primary place to find them.

1.0-1.9999999 is still block 1. 2.0-2.9999999 is block 2.

You discard the decimal amount to determine what block you're in.

Think legos.

Don't think about edges and 2d plane borders, you occupy a spot within a block. That block is one of a 16x16 grid that forms a chunk. The first chunk that doesn't cross into the negatives has the 1,1 block as it's SW border and the 16,16 block as it's NE corner. If you have a plugin like towny running on a server, if you place a block at 1,1 and protect it's chunk then it can't be touched while 0,0/1,0/0,1 will all be unprotected.

Sorry that I'm responding so much later, but I didn't have any chance to check the forum over the weekend.

I haven't ever used Towny, so it's hard for me to disprove what you have said. I have used other mods that show chunk borders, and they disagree with your description of Towny.

According to minecraftwiki, " X and Z coordinates that are divisible by 16 represent the boundaries between chunks. EG: (96, -32) is a corner where four chunks meet."

Your strange definition of naming blocks (ie the block centered at [1.5,-1.5] = block [1,-2]) is not what the article is using. (96.-32) is not a block, but the intersection of two planes, and meeting place for 4 chunks.

From what you've said, Towny would show the intersection at (97, -31). I find this hard to believe, but I may try to find a server with towny on it, just so that I can check.