I want Swype to have my babies

jakj

I just discovered the glorious-and-spooky joy that is Swype on my Android phone. Not only is it near to perfect even on a moving bus, not to mention that my fat finger makes it difficult to see the keys, but it even improves usability of this site for me because it includes arrow keys and Firefox does not get along well with this new software. I feel like somebody just handed me the keys to the city.

It even handles punctuation and smilies! Man, Google rocks my socks.

no need to resort to shortened text-speak in the interest of time now.

I've been using tap-typing since I got the thing back in November, and I can testify this was never the case anyway. I have firsthand experience that you have to have a -very- short attention span to ever "be in a hurry" enough that abbreviating your words becomes at all important.

This is true. I had avoided it because it looked like a silly gimmick and didn't even try it. The word I use now is flabbergasted. Sometimes I don't even look down when I do it, just vaguely moving my finger in the general vicinities of the letters and it still works. No matter that I'm late the party: It's still freaking wicked.

Now you won't see me making weird typoes from missing the letters, either. :P

I've always had this on my mind and have never gotten a straight answer.

Is an Android better than an Iphone?

I hope there aren't any Iphone supporters around, because if it's the case...

***FLAMEWAR ALERT***

It's like a PS3vsXbox 360 argument. It never ends and both sides lose all jugement in about two minutes.

I've always had this on my mind and have never gotten a straight answer.

Is an Android better than an Iphone?

There is no straight answer, because, like with consoles, OSes, Music, Software, Developers, and a myriad of other things, it depends on your priorities.

Android has the benefit of being open-source and 100% fiddlable (including rooting) simply by using debug mode by USB, in general operating more quickly (partly because you can control it more easily), being made in Java so it's extremely easy to develop for, and "apps" are free to be hosted and used outside of the official store.

Android has the detriment of being a lower market share, being more difficult for the "average Joe" to use, having its features vastly-underutilized because developers don't take the time to truly understand the Android API and all the time and effort it -could- be saving them, and a vast dearth of games compared to iOS.

iOS has the benefit of being well-integrated, making the entire device act as a seamless and coherent whole, almost organic in fact, generally having higher-definition screen technology as well as more-accurate, and the #1-supported platform in terms of games and "apps" due to higher market share and visibility/notoriety.

iOS has the detriment of being extremely closed and tightly-controlled, actually voiding your warrantee and possibly your contract by rooting, the inability to debug, alter, or control its software at any fine level, the requirement that you go through Apple's official store for all software (which has been incontrovertibly proven to be anti-competitive, denying apps and even removing extant ones when they don't fit Apple's "plan" or when they directly replace or upgrade the functionality of an upcoming made-by-Apple program), and overall shitty support as you are just one amongst an uncountable mass.

Windows phones...are basically just a preview for Windows 8, with all the commensurate benefits and detriments entailed thereby. I couldn't give two shits about them, so you're on your own.

Summary: Android is better if you care more about control and freedom and don't mind being neglected by a large number of developers; iOS is better if you care more about technological superiority and have a lot of money to blow; Windows...meh.

@jakj Try A.I Type Keyboard its what I am using on my phone now it has pretty awesome prediction I don't even look at the words half the time and just press the closest letter to the one I am after and it fixes it perfect 90% of the time. I used Swype but it and I did not get a long to well between needing to use my finger as a paint brush annoyed the hell out of me, I was far faster at typing the word qwerty style then using Swype while accurate it is I just never really gave it much time because my finger got in the way of the keyboard and I could not really see the damn letters I was moving over, That was until I got A.I Type that let me adjust the keyboard keys size and height and everything its also one of the fastest and most responsive keyboard replacements on the Google Play market and you can theme it.

Did I mention that I am pretty sure it supported Swype as well. I also see you couldn't resist the urge to go on about rooting the android device hehe, can't say I blame you, hey what device have you got anyway I rooted my Galaxy Note and used SetCpu to make that 1.2ghz duel core a lovely 1.6ghz didn't mess with the voltages yet don't really want too until I get an extended battery to the tune of 5200mh then I will have a new profile setup to run 1.7ghz as the extended battery will allow for that kind of useless waste until it hits about 40% juice in which I will knock it back to 800mhz like I do currently. I sure hope you put TitaniumBackup on your device as well if your rooted it and possibly even Adfree.

I usually name any handheld device like a phone or, in the past, PDA "crysknife", because I like dune. in fact all my PCs are named something dune related.

Wasn't it written "Krys"? I read the name a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading "Krys" a few time.

it is "crys", short for "crystal", from the crystalline teeth of Shai-hulud.

SHAAAAAIII-HUUULUUUUUUD!

Yup, thinking about it, I did see both writings. And a little Google search showed me that both are accepted.

But I'm surprised so many people actually read this book! I thought this was the kind of old dusty (And awesome) sci-fi that I'd be the only one to have heard of. :D

Yup, thinking about it, I did see both writings. And a little Google search showed me that both are accepted.

But I'm surprised so many people actually read this book! I thought this was the kind of old dusty (And awesome) sci-fi that I'd be the only one to have heard of. :D

I am the Kwisatch Haderach. When you turn your inner eye to the place you dare not look you will see me staring back at you.

I am the Kwisatch Haderach. When you turn your inner eye to the place you dare not look you will see me staring back at you.

And I am the God Emperor of Dune, Paul Atreides II son of the Messiah Muad'Dib! The perfect hybrid between the Shai-Hulud and men! Prepare yourself for my reign of a millennia!

:D