Launcher Suggestion: Minimum Modpack Specs

Hi Technic Team!

I have been seeing posts from people who are trying to run large, resource-intensive modpacks on older machines that can't handle them. For example, I was just over on Talonos' issue tracker trying to explain to a user why Blightfall won't open for someone who has only 1GB of RAM to dedicate to Minecraft and is running a 32-bit OS.

This got me thinking - why don't you integrate a feature into the Technic Launcher that will allow modpack creators to set recommended minimum specs to run their modpack, and if the launcher is running on a PC with lower specs will warn users that the modpack may not play correctly (or at all)?

For example: There's a good chance you will need at least 2GB of RAM to run Blightfall smoothly without any crashes. If the amount of RAM dedicated to Minecraft is set to be only 1GB, when a user tries to play Blightfall they could be prompted with a message like:
"This modpack ("Blightfall") has a recommended minimum of 2GB RAM. If you proceed, the installation may fail or the modpack may be unstable. Do you wish to proceed anyway?" Options: Proceed, Cancel, Help. ("Help" can be a link to an article with common issues, such as having too little RAM, running a 32-bit installation of Java limiting the RAM options, etc)

I think this might help to reduce the volume of people with topics like "Helpppp modpack wont openz" or "black screen then crash, plz don't ask for crash report bc i dont know wer to find them".

Thoughts?

P.S. I know the crash information and the location of the crash log is output to the Technic Launcher Console, but why not have a more elegant way of displaying this information to an average user? I'm sure the Launcher, when re-opened following a crash, could pop-up an alert that says "Minecraft has crashed. A crash report has been written to [file location]. Would you like to view the crash report?" This might confuse the average user though so maybe it's better left as something we have to continually re-explain to everyone who wants help...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By bradleybrand
      I am asking on behalf of my friend with autism.
      So we downloaded the Minecraft Launcher from the official website, installed and ran. It experienced issues download/installing the latest version of Minecraft.
      Luckily, from my computer, I backed up the need Minecraft files into a .zip file and shared that with him. Vanilla Minecraft works and runs.
      From there, went on Technic Launcher. Vanilla Minecraft won't download and install. Neither will my modpack.
      His Technic Launcher has an issue actually downloading and installing modpacks. Even the official ones.
      ---
      We have turned firewall off. We have uninstalled and reinstalled Minecraft Launcher. We have deleted Minecraft and Technic files from %appdata%, as well as using CCleaner to remove any extras. We have uninstalled 64-bit Java and redownloaded and reinstalled 64-bit Java. ---
      What could be a possible fix for this issue?
      Has anyone else experienced such an issue?
    • By Cosmology27
      Hey there, I haven't played Technic/Minecraft in probably 5 years or so, and I'm going to be running a server once again, so I'm just looking for some help.
      I don't see how to do a totally clean install of Technic. It doesn't look like it's really "installed" on my computer, because it doesn't show up in the programs list, so I can't uninstall it. If I download the new launcher, it just opens up the old version of Technic I had (last opened 2 years ago, but I didn't play much then). Is there a way to actually do a fresh install?
      I have some friends wanting to join my server, and from years ago I remember that the launcher would automatically set the RAM allocation quite low, and you actually had to go into the settings and change that manually. This was required for basically any modpack, because the automatic RAM allocation was so low. I know it's silly, but I have found that the majority of people actually can't manage that. If you tell them they need to go adjusting settings, they get discouraged. So for example, people that aren't good with computers, or younger kids, who love Minecraft, things like Technic are really nice, because they basically just have to click play. Is there any way to make the RAM allocation automatically increase when you run my modpack? Or are we actually forced to increase RAM allocation? (It seems odd to me, because no other program ever requires that you do this, if I run Skyrim, it doesn't make me decide how much RAM to allocate, regardless of modding)
      In terms of the files for the actual modpack, are there better ways to do it now? I remember myself and others used to use Dropbox, but they've really fallen behind, and I remember they changed how things worked, so it made it quite difficult to use Dropbox to share the files. How are people sharing files these days?
      I also remember a website that would allow you to create a redirection for your IP address (I forgot what the proper term is). Basically, your 123.235.543 whatever IP address you have, will change into something like "CosmosServer" so that you can let people have access to your IP, without actually giving them your IP. The site takes anyone looking for "CosmosServer", and makes them actually look for my IP. Anyone remember what this is called, or what site to use for this?
      Lastly, if you can't have RAM automatically allocated, does anyone know what Technic STARTS your RAM allocation at? I can't figure out how to clean install, so I'd possibly like to try and make a lightweight modpack that will work with the auto allocation, so what does it automatically set RAM to?

Random last point, this forum post page KEEPS bashing my cursor back to the security check. While typing this up it forced me back there multiple times, forcing me to uncheck that I'm not a robot, and I then had to refresh the page to fix it. Why in the world is that happening? Very annoying.

Appreciate any help you can give! Thanks!
    • By aguamieles
      Hey everyone! I'm relatively new to Technic, and I'm having some problems launching modpacks. Whenever I run a modpack, the Minecraft window gets stuck on a white screen. I am running on a Macbook Pro on Mojave 10.14.4. Any advice on how to fix this? If needed, I can post a pastebin from my Technic console. Thank you!
    • By alexsunny123
      Hello,

I have a problem with technic launcher . The problem is that when i wan't to log in with my account i got a error : Unable to authenticate account to minecraft.net .

thanks
      alexsunny
    • By brzi
      Hi, so I have a problem installing any modpack.. I tried reinstalling launcher, java, even tried a bunch of other java versions... I have a x64 system, here is a picture of my log