Why not give idiots what they apparently need?

LazDude2012

I know Technic has permissions. You know Technic has permissions. But most people don't, and are therefore turned away. Why not just post on the front page, "We have our permissions now, just ask the modders" or something like that? It wouldn't hurt you guys, and it could certainly help your reputation. Plus, I get so sick of those stupid arguments. Why not put an end to them, once and for all?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not kaker, but I'll tell you why I don't think it's happened.

in all likelihood, it's because our "rep" doesn't really matter. nor do the various arguments you mention. nothing will stop them from happening and people will use technic regardless because it's a superior product and way easier than doing it yourself. let the idiots who are still agonizing over how "illegal" the pack is continue to be idiots. chances are we don't want them around here anyway if they are like that. the modders know we have the permissions, because they gave them to us. we know we have the permissions because they were given to us. nobody else matters in that regard.

I guess. It's just that there are so many people who are believing it. It's not the die-hard "Technic is illegal" people I'm worried about. It's the "really? I didn't know that. Hmm, their site says nothing about it. I guess it's true. Darn, it looked so cool, too." people. The ones who haven't seen anything from eiher side, and all they get is the "Technic is illegal" side. Like I said, posting something simple like "We have permissions now, it's all cool" wouldn't hurt anyone, but it would definitely stop the flood.

it would definitely stop the flood.

it wouldn't. it would just turn it into a he said, she said type situation. the MCF mod author worshiping idiots would all claim it was lies, and it'd be right back to where it is now. it's not like anyone around here is making any money or anything off of this thing, so we really have no incentive to "get the word out", so to speak. if people are curious, they'll play it. no one REALLY cares about legality on the internet anyway. for proof, please see the pirate bay.

Yes theres a small guy doing a mod series not using Technic and had to stop do to mods updating and messing up his world and someone asked about technic and a war started, The wars are everywhere the war in no way helped him he took down the video for abit its back comments are disabled on the video now. Just because someone said "Technic"

Yes theres a small guy doing a mod series not using Technic and had to stop do to mods updating and messing up his world and someone asked about technic and a war started, The wars are everywhere the war in no way helped him he took down the video for abit its back comments are disabled on the video now. Just because someone said "Technic"

you say this like we should care. stupid flame wars erupt over even more retarded shit on youtube every day, do you really think a front page post saying, "it's cool guys, we've got permissions so you can all stop being rabid morons" would change anything? at best it'd make it happen more instead of less.

you say this like we should care. stupid flame wars erupt over even more retarded shit on youtube every day, do you really think a front page post saying, "it's cool guys, we've got permissions so you can all stop being rabid morons" would change anything? at best it'd make it happen more instead of less.

I don't mean you should care and your right saying that would most likely start more its just awful that the word Technic starts wars all the time when people should shut up and read about stuff before they post hate where it doesn't belong which is anywhere really.

Yeah. I understand. Well, just a thought.

It's sad, really, the Technic flame wars. I finished one today, and saw most of them for what they really are. They don't care about the permissions. They don't want it to be easy to play Minecraft with mods. They said, and I quote, "People who can't install the mods manually don't deserve to play them." It's about elitism, and the I'm better than you philosophy that makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside. That kind of crap makes me sick.

Yeah. I understand. Well, just a thought.

It's sad, really, the Technic flame wars. I finished one today, and saw most of them for what they really are. They don't care about the permissions. They don't want it to be easy to play Minecraft with mods. They said, and I quote, "People who can't install the mods manually don't deserve to play them." It's about elitism, and the I'm better than you philosophy that makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside. That kind of crap makes me sick.

It's not a question of "I can" or "I cannot". In most cases, it's a question of "Can I be not lazy enough?".

Everybody can install mods, but the Technic team is just generous enough to make in our place the most annoying steps of modding. Even if I can, I would never bother myself enough to install 51 mods manually on my computer, forget it. It's not only elitism, it's un-deserved elitism, since they aren't really all that better. (Not like there is such a thing as "good" elitism).

Another key issue is that in the past technic did not have permissions and was distributed with out them. Which pissed off a lot of people who no matter what you tell them it would be impossible to change their minds. As opinions are very easy to make but extremely hard to change once made. Which is why first impressions are so important and unfortunately for technic that time has come and gone for most people.

Personally the only thing that would be able to counter the anti-technic hate is if the modders themselves endorsed technic. However I'm not just talking about one or two but the majority of them that have granted permission to use their mods. As they are the ones that the people will listen to instead of a group of people that are thieves as far as they are concerned. Unfortunately this will probably never happen as the modders do not want to get involved with this type of issue and already have enough on their plate dealing with their mods.

Another key issue is that in the past technic did not have permissions and was distributed with out them. Which pissed off a lot of people who no matter what you tell them it would be impossible to change their minds. As opinions are very easy to make but extremely hard to change once made. Which is why first impressions are so important and unfortunately for technic that time has come and gone for most people.

Personally the only thing that would be able to counter the anti-technic hate is if the modders themselves endorsed technic. However I'm not just talking about one or two but the majority of them that have granted permission to use their mods. As they are the ones that the people will listen to instead of a group of people that are thieves as far as they are concerned. Unfortunately this will probably never happen as the modders do not want to get involved with this type of issue and already have enough on their plate dealing with their mods.

And, sadly, some of them also don't want to give up the pennies they get ad.fly. It's sad and ridiculous, but it's also true in many cases.

And, sadly, some of them also don't want to give up the pennies they get ad.fly. It's sad and ridiculous, but it's also true in many cases.

Personally I'm tired of seeing people spit out this stupid stereotype that has very little to do with the issue. As it is not that they want to protect their ad pennies but instead has to do with protecting something they pured their heart and soul into for countless hours. As making mods is not easy and is only natural for people to be very protective about something that takes up the majority of their free time. Grant it some are more protective than others but it is only human nature to protect something you care about.

In other words more times than not the modders just want to maintain control over their project and prevent people from abusing it.

Personally I'm tired of seeing people spit out this stupid stereotype that has very little to do with the issue. As it is not that they want to protect their ad pennies but instead has to do with protecting something they pured their heart and soul into for countless hours. As making mods is not easy and is only natural for people to be very protective about something that takes up the majority of their free time. Grant it some are more protective than others but it is only human nature to protect something you care about.

In other words more times than not the modders just want to maintain control over their project and prevent people from abusing it.

I don't think because it's natural it's good. I think the ideal (Read : Utopia) modding community is one where everything is open-source and where anyone can make new versions, add-ons and ameliorations of a mod or another. After all, mods stay basically ideas. It's not healthy for ideas to be restrained.

I don't think because it's natural it's good. I think the ideal (Read : Utopia) modding community is one where everything is open-source and where anyone can make new versions, add-ons and ameliorations of a mod or another. After all, mods stay basically ideas. It's not healthy for ideas to be restrained.

That is true, just because it is natural is no real excuse and the mod community will greatly benefit from all the mods being open source.

Don't bother, caring just sets you up for trolling.

On the IC2 forums a vocal group of haters are claiming the forum for their own, despite alblaka telling them he likes technic. A couple of them are impossible to talk to, some of them see technic use as akin to beating and robbing the modders at gunpoint. One has gone as far as claiming the legality of the pack doesn't matter and should never be discussed, but the morality of technic is worse than a serial murderer.

Dare to not slink into a corner and die like you should? They'll just chant forestry until sengir takes notice and turns the thread into one big flamewar.

I went there to post my addon for IC2, and despite doing it to comply with alblaka's rules and including full source I was greeted with "You play technic? You must have stolen other people's code to claim as your own!"

Even a month later the kneejerk reaction when people learn I'm a technic user posting an addon is "THIEF!"

So screw the haters. A choir of angels singing praise for technic, complete with the hand of god writing "technic is fine" in the side of a mountain, wouldn't budge them an inch. And anyone stupid enough to take venomous hatred on face value without doing even a tiny bit of research is someone the mods would just have to keller after their first post anyway.

Do I have to bring back up my point of "YOU DON'T NEED PERMISSION WITH OPENLY RELEASED SOFTWARE" Most of the flame wars are from the people that side with sirdickhead and if you read many of their posts they lack any basis for their flames just as badly. And NO not everyone is capable of installing mods manually. Believe it or not ( I have 2 friends ) some people can't even manage with word for word instructions on how to do things.

So screw the haters. A choir of angels singing praise for technic, complete with the hand of god writing "technic is fine" in the side of a mountain, wouldn't budge them an inch. And anyone stupid enough to take venomous hatred on face value without doing even a tiny bit of research is someone the mods would just have to keller after their first post anyway.

I agree with this. Everyone is going to have their own opinion, and sadly, most of them don't take a moment of their day to actually form a logical opinion. It is much easier on the internet to just point fingers and yell. That only causes drama and doesn't solve anything.

This whole drama spawns from users who don't understand how intellectual property works. One time I was browsing the MC forums, and I came a cross a (very low effort) post from someone who claimed that the seed they had found was their copyright, and that you couldn't distribute it without his permission.

Although, I don't see how saying that you now have permissions could hurt. I, for one, actually didn't know you had permissions.

Not to hop on the bandwagon here but in all honesty the less idiots know about technic the better. Unless we're looking to fill up the whale box even more I say let the mud races fight amongst themselves while the technic master race lives and prospers.

After all the masses of masses will be asses to masses. I'm honestly surprised Kakermix has enough generosity left to keep the project going.

With all the bigoted assholes out there most other people would have just said "fuck em" and kept the pack to themselves rather then go through all this trouble. But instead of looking at it from any sort of logical point of view the masses will just bitch and moan because they can't have it there way.

Thats why I never release or (usually) even talk about any of the mods or add-ons I work on. The minecraft community can kiss the fattest part of my ass I'll reap the benefits of my work and never have to deal with the hoards of elitist fucks.

Some guy was recently "discussing" with me the prospect of using Technic and how it makes me a horrible person. I learned from him that it doesn't matter that we have permissions now, just that we didn't have them originally. And that "The Head Hancho Kakermix is a fucking asshole and a lair."

Some guy was recently "discussing" with me the prospect of using Technic and how it makes me a horrible person. I learned from him that it doesn't matter that we have permissions now, just that we didn't have them originally. And that "The Head Hancho Kakermix is a fucking asshole and a lair."

Which is why those kinds of people are elsewhere on the internet, we're here, and I would prefer to keep it that way. Even if the whole permissions thing (Scandal? Fiasco? Who cares?) never happened, and those people were, here, they would only be poisoning our little community here and fighting literally everyone about something else that doesn't matter in the slightest.

• Moderators

And that "The Head Hancho Kakermix is a fucking asshole and a lair."

Didnt know Kaker is a lair :) He must have quite the dark personality in him.

I'm honestly surprised Kakermix has enough generosity left to keep the project going.

This is the part when I felt drawn to technic and this wonderful forum. The fact that this community is still going strong, despite the wars(a bit calmed down now) outside and the hatred that poison the modders minds.

To be honest, I never truly believed this modpack would still be public. That kaker would just withdraw it for private use