Project Horizon - A world map for Technic 7.2 (rec)

Soltaro

Greetings!

The past couple of weeks/months I've been working on designing a rather big facility in Minecraft to be used with the latest recommended version of the Technic mod pack. After numerous setbacks with block ID's changing and WorldEdit/MCedit not cooperating with micro-blocks (thus basically having to rebuild everything twice), I'm glad to say it's now finally finished and available for download! \o/

The goal of the project was simple: Skip the step where you first have to gather a truckload of resources while inside a shitty cave, to finally build your first real home. I have found that the limited resources and time constraints, also often limit your imagination and thus the end result.

The Horizon facility has a fully designed in- and exterior and comes equiped with a functional sorting machine, Industrial Craft processing room, a 6 story high elevator and a metric ton of space available to build your own things and explore all the wonderful mods in the Technic pack.

LmcHs.jpg

(Different angle: here)

Imagine you start a fresh world and just bought a new house and are about to move in. Apart from what has already been build, you start out with nothing in your inventory and have to chop down your first tree just as usual. :)

Tour around the facility:

When you first enter the building you'll get into the main lobby:

SKMtR.jpg

From here you can enter the elevator:

SM5BT.jpg

It uses just 1 lever to handle all the floor selections.

The circuitry of it is located in the "Logic Gate Bunker" down below. It can be seen: here

This doesn't use any wireless transmitters. All redstone wiring, IndustrialCraft and Blutricity cables run behind the elevator, and through the entire length of the Horizon facility connecting every building. (There is a crawlspace between each floor and ceiling)

Flip the elevator lever 4 times and you'll reach the 4th floor:

RIlBW.jpg

This floor connects you to the most important rooms in the Horizon facility. We'll first take the left side and go to the Processing Room.

At the entrance of the Processing Room is the sorting and storage frame elevator:

ZiYou.jpg

It has a total of 24 chests and can sort 320 different items. No giant warehouse needed filled with chests, with the frame elevator it's all accessible through the 6 block wide window you see in the picture.

(Circuitry how the floor select works: here)

On the right you see the train track:

i0QDI.jpg

This leads you to the back of the Processing Room. The chest cart travels with you and is the one and only input chest for the sorting machine. It automatically unloads via the 'Advanced Item Unloader' of the Railcraft mod.

Using the train you arrive here:

AWjLL.jpg

There's a total of 5 workbenches that have room for 10 different kind of machinery. The Redpower 'sorting machines' below the chests sends the items 1 floor down below into the Machine Room. Here they are evenly divided among 4 (you can expand if you want) machines that are automatically emptied by the 'retriever'.

Want to smelt 54 stacks of cobblestone/iron ore/.. all at once? Just put it in the chest, flip the switch and everything is done automatically.

While we're at it, let's take a look inside the Machine Room down below:

uzuqd.jpg

The 3 machine blocks on the left are the same where the top tube is the input and the one in the middle the output. The Canning machine has an extra input slot (cans *and* food) thus requires an extra tube, painted orange here.

Next to it is the generator setup which accepts any kind of burnable fuel and stores it in the connected battery-boxes.

Panning the camera to the right...

zwefS.jpg

...reveals the frame elevator connected to the actual sorting machine in the center. (Perfectly optimized and 4 side-symmetrical for extra nerd points) The blue and red wire are respectively blutricity power and redstone signals. When the frame moves, it reconnects to the main line automatically.

The small circuitry board to the left is for the lever upstairs. It controls 4 things: the ceiling lights, it powers the train booster tracks, activates the sorting machine (with auto shutdown feature after 5 minutes) and closes the chest viewing window when the power is down.

Alright, enough about the machines, time for some capital M magic!

On the other side of the 3rd floor lobby is the Thaumcraft building.

xiEZ3.jpg

A dark and mysterious place where energy rich crystals and aura's are twisted to suit the needs of the wizard that dares to harness this power.

When you enter on the middle floor you'll travel across a small skybridge that has access to both the upper and lower level.

hIqZ4.jpg

Taking the stairs up reveals the Thaumic command center that will have the all important crucible to transform ordinary matter into pure Vis and Taint.

81JPQ.jpg

These two types of energy are send separately into the holding tanks all the way down to the Thaumic basement which can be seen here:

SSfdj.jpg

Having explored 2/3rd of the buildings so far, the one that's left is the -for lack of a better name- "House". To access it you'll first have to take a quick stroll across the outside terrace:

LTuGb.jpg

The terrace platform is suspended into the air, supported by beams connected to the buildings on the sides:

y0ehp.jpg

The view after entering the house and going up the main stairway looks like this:

vfPW0.jpg

There are several other rooms (conservatory/kitchen/bedroom/living room/etc..) in the House that you can make your own. They are semi-decorated but have to be filled in with your own furniture/features.

To reach the attic you'll need to take the frame elevator as seen in the left of the previous picture. Which after exiting it looks like this:

Ltc38.jpg

As mentioned before, there are a lot of open spaces to be utilized. I personally plan on making this attic into a Mystcraft portal room that has a computerized automatic portal selection (if you've seen Direwolf20 video's, something like that), with a high speed railcart traveling 88 mph through it. ;)

And on that note, I think this will be a good wrapping up point..

Hope you've enjoyed the tour.

You can download the world map: Here

Using the Sphax texture pack is recommended as everything is designed with that in mind.

I'd like to hear your comments, feedback, even criticism.

Find a bug in the system/a way to improve the circuitry/etc..? Please do share! If you decide to play the map and have finished a cool build then feel free to post your pictures in this thread as I'd love to see your designs.

PS: I wonder who'll find the hidden easter egg first... ;)

Edit:

- A youtube video with a short visual tour is now available:

- A .zip file is available here:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the pictures, it looks great! I wouldn't mind taking a stroll through once you post the link.

Side note, this thread should really belong here: http://forums.technicpack.net/forums/get-lost-grotto.41/

Also, once you've set up the file, just highlight the text you want to link to the file's URL and click the chain at the top. A box opens up and you put the url in and click ok. Sometimes the box doesn't open all the way immediately, I find that a quick scroll often does the trick to bring the rest up. (In case you weren't familiar with it).

God damnit, very time I think I harnessed all the concepts from this game, someone makes something like that and... Pouf, my ego is back to zero! :D

Not like it's a bad thing, humility is good for the man.

Really, kudos, props, cookies, :diamonds:, take all of them! You totally merit them!

Looks great, but it's got some problems. First of all, not nearly enough lighting - mobs are spawning everywhere. I'll get back to that in a moment.

When I entered the tower with the helipad, the minecart elevator worked once to go to the basement, worked once to go back to floor 1, then stopped working.

The pistons that open and close the access to the sorted chests weren't firing, at all. Had to break the wood to get in there.

A mob got in the way and split the minecart from the chestcart.

Stopped exploring just after that, as a creeper spawned and blew up half the room.

God damnit, very time I think I harnessed all the concepts from this game, someone makes something like that and... Pouf, my ego is back to zero!:D

Not like it's a bad thing, humility is good for the man.

Really, kudos, props, cookies, :diamonds:, take all of them! You totally merit them!

Thanks Xylord. Have you found the secret room yet? :^)

Looks great, but it's got some problems. First of all, not nearly enough lighting - mobs are spawning everywhere.

Yeah there are some "dark spots" even though it seems bright enough. Probably should lower some of my lighting settings :) But I have full confidence in people's torch placing skills!

When I entered the tower with the helipad, the minecart elevator worked once to go to the basement, worked once to go back to floor 1, then stopped working.

I never had any problems with the elevator controls. Can you try again?

The lever works like this: flip 1 time (that means just once, not back and forth because I added pulse formers that make each lever position send a signal) you'll go to the 1st level, which is actually the ground level. Flip the lever 6 times to go to the 6th floor.

The button (at the 1st floor) to go down uses a very different, improvised and temporary design. If you want to create lots of floors below "Minus 1", down to bedrock for example, then you'll need to copy the whole elevator design, and when you operate the 2nd elevator (needs different wiring) send a green signal into the 1st elevator circuit. (To reset the previous "remembered" floor, since a higher elevator-rail overwrites a lower elevator-rail)

The pistons that open and close the access to the sorted chests weren't firing, at all. Had to break the wood to get in there.

Did you turn on the lever when you entered the room? It's designed on purpose to only open when you activate the room. (Same applies with the sorting machine).

A mob got in the way and split the minecart from the chestcart.

Yeah, you need to use a crowbar to reconnect the two.

In the pre-7.2 Technic I originally had a rail design with a detector track and two holding rails but with the addition of being able to link carts I opted for the cleaner design. Guess it's not completely zombie proof though. :D

Yeah there are some "dark spots" even though it seems bright enough. Probably should lower some of my lighting settings :) But I have full confidence in people's torch placing skills!

When I say everywhere, I mean everywhere. I don't know if some of the light's didn't save right or what, but some of the floors were absolutely full of skeletons and creepers.

I never had any problems with the elevator controls. Can you try again?

The lever works like this: flip 1 time (that means just once, not back and forth because I added pulse formers that make each lever position send a signal) you'll go to the 1st level, which is actually the ground level. Flip the lever 6 times to go to the 6th floor.

The button (at the 1st floor) to go down uses a very different, improvised and temporary design. If you want to create lots of floors below "Minus 1", down to bedrock for example, then you'll need to copy the whole elevator design, and when you operate the 2nd elevator (needs different wiring) send a green signal into the 1st elevator circuit. (To reset the previous "remembered" floor, since a higher elevator-rail overwrites a lower elevator-rail)

had tried both flipping once, and a back and forth. The cart entities seemed to actually get stuck, they were vibrating in place when they tried to move

Did you turn on the lever when you entered the room? It's designed on purpose to only open when you activate the room. (Same applies with the sorting machine).

didn't see a lever in the darkness :(

Yeah, you need to use a crowbar to reconnect the two.

In the pre-7.2 Technic I originally had a rail design with a detector track and two holding rails but with the addition of being able to link carts I opted for the cleaner design. Guess it's not completely zombie proof though. :D

Pretty good design as long as there's enough lighting to keep mobs out.

When I say everywhere, I mean everywhere. I don't know if some of the light's didn't save right or what, but some of the floors were absolutely full of skeletons and creepers.

Are the redpower lamps on or off for you?

The ones in the Machine Room and Processing Room should all be on by default.

Though honestly I'm not sure how much they help in preventing mobs from spawning as they don't seem to be all that effective. :)

had tried both flipping once, and a back and forth. The cart entities seemed to actually get stuck, they were vibrating in place when they tried to move

Was this before or after your creeper explosion lol?

Since all wires run through the entire facility, you don't really want anything blowing up on the inside. Use the original download file and try again I'd suggest. I'm interested if anyone else has a similar problem because I did quite extensive testing with the elevator mechanics.

Are the redpower lamps on or off for you?

The ones in the Machine Room and Processing Room should all be on by default.

Though honestly I'm not sure how much they help in preventing mobs from spawning as they don't seem to be all that effective. :)

On, I believe, but those seemed to be the only lights. And I guess you're right, they're not that effective :D

Was this before or after your creeper explosion lol?

Since all wires run through the entire facility, you don't really want anything blowing up on the inside. Use the original download file and try again I'd suggest. I'm interested if anyone else has a similar problem because I did quite extensive testing with the elevator mechanics.

Well before. This was right upon entering the facility.

New world file available!

- Added torches wherever it seemed necessary.

- Changed the black on/off lamps in the Thaumcraft Center to a constant on.

- You now start out with a wooden sword, 10 torches and.. Gordon Freeman's fav weapon. Just in case your train becomes unlinked. ;)

Structurally nothing has changed.

Great map! Maybe you could provide a video-walkthrough? Seeing as, I'm kinda lost, even after reading your description, your minecart in the processing room ate 28 wooden logs :(

Also, is there supposed to be a crucible in the Thaum-lab? If not, where should i place it? :P

Love the ogre spawns, really nice! ;)

2012-08-11_163647.png

Also again, I appreciate the cake. Lovely!

Great map! Maybe you could provide a video-walkthrough?

Sure! I just made a quick video but now it's 17.5 gigabyte. Gotta check how to bring down the size or else I'll take 1-2 days to upload it fully. (Minecraft HD yeah baby yeah!)

your minecart in the processing room ate 28 wooden logs :(

I didn't teach it how to eat yet, but sorting it does!

Press the "Building Blocks" button and the wooden logs should be in the "Organic" chest.

You might still want to add your own items in the sorting machine, I left the Misc category empty on purpose. So I hope you're familiar with the Redpower sorting machine interface. :P

You'll need to put 1 item in the first sorting machine *and* one more in a sorting machine *on* the frame elevator.

Items are first send to one of the 4 colors (4 floors) and after that initial sorting they are send to one of the 6 chests. Since there are 24 chests but not 24 colors I had to do it like this.

Oh and one more thing! The sorting machines on the second frame (Gems/Ores) have the wrong sorting mode set apparently. Quick fix: press the Gem/Ores button, move in the back (there is a door on the side) and click on *both* sorting machines (slightly hidden but you can click them without breaking anything) and select the mode that looks like a rubix cube (3by3). Done.

Edit: The world available at the download button now has this fixed.

Also, is there supposed to be a crucible in the Thaum-lab? If not, where should i place it? :P

Nope, it's entirely up to you to explore Thaumcraft on your own. Place it wherever you want.

I just provided the structure.

Love the ogre spawns, really nice! ;)

lol, lovely little friends you've got there. Did they break in through the roof of did one spawn inside?

I disabled the ogres in MO-creatures by the way. Didn't have any problems with inside spawning with the new map (with more torches) I uploaded.

Also again, I appreciate the cake. Lovely!

You're welcome! But it wasn't the easter egg I was talking about. :P

It's explained in the video though ^^

Nice! And I'm afraid I haven't really gotten the mental capactity to mess around with RedPower, yet, I've only just started taking the courage to start up on cropanalyzing with IC2..

But I have some idea of what you mean.. Atleast when you describe the fix for the gems/metal sorting.

Yes, the ogres spawned on the roof.. They're horrible. But a nice source of obsidian.

It would seem I need to go search for the easter egg again.

On a sidenote; Did you tinker with the resources in the starting area? Because this is the first time I've seen that many vis(and all the other colours)crystals, and if that wasn't enough, they're mostly in clumps of 5.. Either youre messing with us, or you've found the best seed in the world.

On a sidenote; Did you tinker with the resources in the starting area? Because this is the first time I've seen that many vis(and all the other colours)crystals, and if that wasn't enough, they're mostly in clumps of 5.. Either youre messing with us, or you've found the best seed in the world.

Nope, no resource tinkering. I did add a Thaumcraft tree on the suspended platform which increases the aura a bit. But in order to dig down the Circuit bunker I had to destroy quite a few crystals as well.

As far as the world selection goes.. I did create quite a bit and looked around for a suitable spot but never selected anything for it's crystals or other resources. :)

But yeah, it's a pretty darn good seed I'd say. To the immediate right on the tree you spawn is a very large caving system that had many natural pathways, including an underground chasm. Pretty neat and full of resources.

This thread has my seal of approval.

Awesome. Thanks for the sticky Merchant of Menace!

Noooo! Your sorting machine ate my dusts! I believe it was silver dust, tin dust, iron dust and copper dust.

EDIT, maybe i should stop double posting, and edit instead..

Found the issue!! ;)

2012-08-11_234602-1.png

Being really indecisive here, this was the 'bug' you were talking about earlier...!! For people who might want to know - click that button untill it is a "rubix cube"