Yogscast vs Direwolf20

NoopDawg77

I feel that Yogscast is more about a bunch of characters in a minecraft world - not only in their series but also in other episodes, you get a feeling that it's about the _characters_; Sjin doesn't feel like the guy sitting in front of his computer playing minecraft and talking about it, but rather as the guy running around punching trees. Basically, the yogscast is about telling stories taking place in minecraft. Lewis isn't a stupid player, he's a stupid character.

Direwolf on the other hand feels very much like a player playing minecraft. His videos are about spreading information.

They're completely different genres. It's a bit like the difference between watching a trial and watching Law & Order.

Well said.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that Yogscast is more about a bunch of characters in a minecraft world - not only in their series but also in other episodes, you get a feeling that it's about the _characters_; Sjin doesn't feel like the guy sitting in front of his computer playing minecraft and talking about it, but rather as the guy running around punching trees. Basically, the yogscast is about telling stories taking place in minecraft. Lewis isn't a stupid player, he's a stupid character.

Direwolf on the other hand feels very much like a player playing minecraft. His videos are about spreading information.

They're completely different genres. It's a bit like the difference between watching a trial and watching Law & Order.

Well said indeed, I watch every single video of every youtuber mentioned here and i love them all becaause of the difference in styles, just like i like different genres of music, movies, or games. Even people who do similar vids like Antvenom and ChimneySwift are worth watching because of the little things that set them apart, and anyone claims that people are "folloing fame trains" or copying each other deserves to be taught some history and what it tends to do.

People as a whole do not understand the important difference between plagiarism, iteration, and coincidence, unfortunately. There is a plentitude of all three on YouTube, and only one of the three is detrimental to the quality of work.

Well said indeed, I watch every single video of every youtuber mentioned here and i love them all becaause of the difference in styles, just like i like different genres of music, movies, or games. Even people who do similar vids like Antvenom and ChimneySwift are worth watching because of the little things that set them apart, and anyone claims that people are "folloing fame trains" or copying each other deserves to be taught some history and what it tends to do.

... how in the world are you watching every video of every youtuber....?

This thread still going huh. :)

As pointed out comparing the 2 different styles is pointless. But that said, the op asked the question so I will answer.

Direwolf20 for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts for me.

I used to watch Simon n Lewis but tbh I don't anymore.

It's not because they are getting stale, it's because I find they have changed from their early days.

There is an undertone now that they are somehow crucial to Minecraft and very important.

At least that's what I take away from their vids these days.

To me it seems like they equate the number of subscribers to some kind of real world currency that gives them some perceived ownership of "Minecraft".

You may not see it this way, as I said, that's what I take away from their vids these days.

In comparison, Direwolf20 plays with Devs modders and other well known youtubers. And as a result arguably has much more influence than the yogs, and yet he displays no arrogance or any sign of inflated ego.

Add to this I find his vids more rewarding, then for me it's an easy choice.

This thread still going huh. :)

As pointed out comparing the 2 different styles is pointless. But that said, the op asked the question so I will answer.

Direwolf20 for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts for me.

I used to watch Simon n Lewis but tbh I don't anymore.

It's not because they are getting stale, it's because I find they have changed from their early days.

There is an undertone now that they are somehow crucial to Minecraft and very important.

At least that's what I take away from their vids these days.

To me it seems like they equate the number of subscribers to some kind of real world currency that gives them some perceived ownership of "Minecraft".

You may not see it this way, as I said, that's what I take away from their vids these days.

In comparison, Direwolf20 plays with Devs modders and other well known youtubers. And as a result arguably has much more influence than the yogs, and yet he displays no arrogance or any sign of inflated ego.

Add to this I find his vids more rewarding, then for me it's an easy choice.

Well I sometimes get the same feeling from Simon and Lewis but I don't know if you watched the other part of the yogscast. They all have below 700 thousand subscribers and so are a lot more personal than Simon and Lewis.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, might as well keep going.

The Yogscast may be funny at times, but they don't give recipes, they cheat in items, they swear a lot and play on a Modpack that is frowned upon by Modders.

This, in my opinion, rounds the Yogscast to "Funny-at-times cheaters". Call it bias, call it stupid, call it whatever you want.

Now, onto Direwolf20. His videos are informative, a bit long at times, he doesn't cheat, and he's family friendly with language. He also knows a ridiculous amount of Modders. Also, he has Forestry, which is one of my favourite mods. And yes, I know what happened with Sengir.

This, in my opinion, rounds Direwolf20 to "Family-friendly, fair and a bit long." Again, call it bias, stupid, etc.

I can't see a fault other than timing in Direwolf. He is a terrible actor at the end of his let's plays though, and he does cheat a bit, but not much. You could see a few endermen spawners in his inventory. Hehe. The Yogscast's language I don't like. I also don't like how they drift off into nonexistant and unfunny sidestories, such as Ben the Dancer or something in the end of Sips + Sjin's "finale" of their "first series" of Tekkit, which they cheated massively in. :)

The end.

Hidden

Well, might as well keep going.

The Yogscast may be funny at times, but they don't give recipes, they cheat in items, they swear a lot and play on a Modpack that is frowned upon by Modders.

This, in my opinion, rounds the Yogscast to "Funny-at-times cheaters". Call it bias, call it stupid, call it whatever you want.

Now, onto Direwolf20. His videos are informative, a bit long at times, he doesn't cheat, and he's family friendly with language. He also knows a ridiculous amount of Modders. Also, he has Forestry, which is one of my favourite mods. And yes, I know what happened with Sengir.

This, in my opinion, rounds Direwolf20 to "Family-friendly, fair and a bit long." Again, call it bias, stupid, etc.

I can't see a fault other than timing in Direwolf. He is a terrible actor at the end of his let's plays though, and he does cheat a bit, but not much. You could see a few endermen spawners in his inventory. Hehe. The Yogscast's language I don't like. I also don't like how they drift off into nonexistant and unfunny sidestories, such as Ben the Dancer or something in the end of Sips + Sjin's "finale" of their "first series" of Tekkit, which they cheated massively in. :)

The end.

First off, don't double post.

Second, you are very much wrong with your assessment of the Yogscast. WHile they do cheat in items, it is for the purpose of roleplaying and such. While I enjoy them playing tekkit much more than the role play, I find it amusing at times. Direwolf is very informative, but he is a bad actor, and very boring. His videos are absurdly long, and he uses scene cuts in a very amateur fashion. He'll say "I'll be back in a few minutes after I finish crafting this" and then cuts out, and cuts in to say "actually, I forgot to do this one thing, so here it is". The Yogscast do swear, but complaining about people on the internet swearing is like complaining about death or taxes. It's one of the inevitable things that happen in life. Deal with it.

I randomly got logged out, I can't help that. And I do believe I said it was my opinion, Yogscast fangirl.

There is no need to call me names. I disagreed with your opinion, but I did so in a civilized manner. The least you could do is show me the same courtesy. Instead, you resort to calling me sexist insults.

I randomly got logged out, I can't help that. And I do believe I said it was my opinion, Yogscast fangirl.

Hold on there angry guy, just because it is your opinion doesn't immediately mean no one can talk about/refute it. Plus, I like that part where you get mad that Green attacked your opinion, then call him names because of his opinion.

play on a Modpack that is frowned upon by Modders.

Herm... Not to break your bubble, but you do know that you're posting in the very forum of this modpack, right? What are you doing here, if you dislike the Technic Pack? It's not an aggression, I'm honestly wondering. And don't be mean to wolfy, he didn't deserve it.

Cleared up the accidental double-post. Keep insults to a minimum. Honestly I don't give two flying turds what people's ultimate opinion on the Technic pack is as long as everyone treats each other as a respectable human being. So, let's try to keep the topic on-task, shall we?

Herm... Not to break your bubble, but you do know that you're posting in the very forum of this modpack, right? What are you doing here, if you dislike the Technic Pack?

Many, many, many people are on Tekkit/DW20 related videos talking about how it's great and everyone approves upon it etc etc, yet they thought that Forestry was removed because it conflicted with mods.

Many, many, many people are on Tekkit/DW20 related videos talking about how it's great and everyone approves upon it etc etc, yet they thought that Forestry was removed because it conflicted with mods.

There are also people who think Tekkit intentionally removed Forestry to hurt its users. People are generally stupid, not much you can do about that. The truth of the matter though is that only a couple of actual modders have any real problem with Tekkit. Most of the hate comes from the Curse/Minecraftforum community, and certain vocal streamers such as Slowpoke.

I was talking with pahimar yesterday, and I told him I had browsed through the BTW forums to get the pro-forestry side of the forestry thing. (pahimar doesn't like the technic forums, but he's okay with the modpack itself. To each his own I guess). He said "I feel sorry for you". I think we can all agree, pro-technic and anti-technic, that the BTW forums and community are crap.

Why are we changing the subject to BTW? :P

Because they merit it.

Ouch, that's generally not a good way to start down here... Because what's at stake is not the mods you used to use, but HOW you used to use them. Technic is a name that shouldn't be written on this forum as everything that it refers to is evil. The bad kind of evil mind you.

However you seem to be a perfectly reasonable person. Thus this question : why the hell did you had to use Technic as you seem to posses the knowledge to mod your jar on your own ? This is pure rhetoric of course : I don't want to start that debate again, it just bugs me every time...

Anyway, if your stay is confirmed let me wish you welcome to this forum. The path to redemption will be long and tortuous. *evil laugh*

Edit :

It's not as bad as all that man. If you've been exposed to the Technic/SA crowd for very long, they're notorious for doom and gloom prophecies of utter disaster with regards to just about everything.

Everything is the end of Minecraft...everything is the end of modding...everything is particularly the end of BTW. Yada yada yada. Their whole shtick really is massively comical once you realize what it really is and how their prophecies never actually come to pass.

My biggest hope for the API is that it will actually be the end of Technic ;)

And then he wonders why we don't like him...

To be honest, I enjoy technic merely because they package all the mods I was already playing with. Except millenaire. that thing bores the crap out of me.

I like the idea of BTW but I've never installed it due to it not being compatible with forge and the other mods I use. I've recently decided to use the vanilla option on the technic launcher to give it a try. The MC launcher is just tragic and I probably won't go back to using it.

I'd also like to point out the fighting between mod devs and modpack creators (not just technic) is what is actually hurting the community. I.E. - Forestry using malicious code to destroy things simply because someone uses Technic. With a precedent like that, why should any user trust any mod ever again? He's said he'll be removing the malicious code but I for one will not be installing anything that is not open source or hasn't been inspected by someone I trust. This includes decompiling BTW before I install it.

I know I'm going to be banned simply because I use and advocate technic and I find that to be unfortunate. I do wish you all luck in your future endeavors and hope that BTW continues to be popular and enjoyed by many.

I have a book of old koans that I read and contemplate on occasion. This one has helped me clear my mind in the past. I hope it will help you as well.

Quote:

While Seisetsu was the master of Engaku in Kamakura he required larger quarters, since those in which he was teaching were overcrowded. Umezu Seibei, a merchant of Edo, decided to donate five hundred pieces of gold called ryo toward the construction of a more commodious school. This money he brought to the teacher.

Seisetsu said: "All right. I will take it."

Umezu gave Seisetsu the sack of gold, but he was dissatisfied with the attitude of the teacher. One might live a whole year on three ryo, and the merchant had not even been thanked for five hundred.

"In that sack are five hundred ryo," hinted Umezu.

"You told me that before," replied Seisetsu.

"Even if I am a wealthy merchant, five hundred ryo is a lot of money," said Umezu.

"Do you want me to thank you for it?" asked Seisetsu.

"You ought to," replied Uzemu.

Why should I?" inquired Seisetsu. "The giver should be thankful."

FC's answer.

Nope, I'm also banning you because you're a troll. A troll spouting eastern philosophy, but a troll none the less.

Kinda like dressing up a chimp in a Sunday suit I guess.

D:

I'll stop browsing BTW forums now, it's ten times worse than MCF, argh.