CHEAP, refined, quantum armor killing machine

gavjenks

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If 10 MV solars charge it in 20 seconds, you could charge it up in 5 seconds with 5 HV solar arrays, or 1 second with 25 HV solar arrays. Just saying.

If you are able to use that many HV solars, you don't need to steal someone's quantum... Just saying.

If you are able to use that many HV solars, you don't need to steal someone's quantum... Just saying.

No, but you could use it to protect your base from someone in quantum. Like I said earlier, make a giant electric fence out of these, and surround your base with it. If you replace the macerator with a mass fabricator and hook it up to a timer set to 1 second, you could have a pulsing death machine that is impossible to get through without dying. Putting it in between two forcefields will allow you to keep mining turtles out. If you add even more HV solars, you can increase the number of times it pulses (100 HV solars would allow for it to pulse every 5 ticks, and 500 would allow it to pulse once every tick. Once a second should be sufficient though.)

The version I built on the server is pretty shabby and poorly planned. I did not include any mechanism, for example, that replaces the machine that absorbs all the energy. So once somebody trips it, it has to be manually reset to do anything anymore. Ideally, for a trap that stays in place or that is intended for multiple uses (like a demo one), you would want a mechanism that breaks, replaces, and refills the machine with energy upgrades each time, or something.

It's possible that I tripped it accidentally when partially filled, and then there wasn't enough room left in the energy storage upgrades to deliver a lethal blow later.

Also, I only have one HV or something charging it, so it takes over a minute to charge up. I may have miswired something, too, who knows. I also did not fully calculate how many extra HV transformers I needed to accommodate the length of the wire running next to the hallway, so it may be very very slightly underpowered.

If you were really serious about this, you could of course be more careful, test it near your own base, and then program a turtle to just build the tedious parts of it perfectly every time, then manually set up the delicate little timers and enderchest part in a few minutes.

Apparently bride tested it and it came close to killing her, but didn't quite do it

EDIT:

If it did ANY hearts of damage, then that means it was like... 99% of the way toward being lethal. When I was testing it in SSP, it either did nothing to you, or killed you, unless you were like one or two Hv transformers too short.

So it was probably a very slightly too long cable issue.

No, but you could use it to protect your base from someone in quantum. Like I said earlier, make a giant electric fence out of these, and surround your base with it. If you replace the macerator with a mass fabricator and hook it up to a timer set to 1 second, you could have a pulsing death machine that is impossible to get through without dying. Putting it in between two forcefields will allow you to keep mining turtles out. If you add even more HV solars, you can increase the number of times it pulses (100 HV solars would allow for it to pulse every 5 ticks, and 500 would allow it to pulse once every tick. Once a second should be sufficient though.)

I think a forcefield would be much easier and beneficial... Just saying ;)

I think a forcefield would be much easier and beneficial... Just saying ;)

Forcefields are fairly trivial to get through with glitches and even legitimately.

A death machine built just behind the walls like this one would successfully counter many of the ways of getting into a force field, though, especially the glitches (most glitches involve you getting your player in various ways into the middle of a wall, then "gliding" through to the other side. A machine that electrocutes you no matter what, once a second, would kill people while they were in the walls via any of these methods)

If you replace the macerator with a mass fabricator

You can't. Mass fabs blow up from Extreme voltage, and cannot be given transformer upgrades. Thus, you would need twice the number of HVs to step it back down to normal voltage, to use a mass fab, doubling your costs, probably tripling your complexity, and in testing, I often found that even after all that, it just plain didn't work anyway.

Forcefields are fairly trivial to get through with glitches and even legitimately.

A death machine built just behind the walls like this one would successfully counter many of the ways of getting into a force field, though, especially the glitches (most glitches involve you getting your player in various ways into the middle of a wall, then "gliding" through to the other side. A machine that electrocutes you no matter what, once a second, would kill people while they were in the walls via any of these methods)

You can't. Mass fabs blow up from Extreme voltage, and cannot be given transformer upgrades. Thus, you would need twice the number of HVs to step it back down to normal voltage, to use a mass fab, doubling your costs, probably tripling your complexity, and in testing, I often found that even after all that, it just plain didn't work anyway.

Then use an MFSU maybe? Or have the power from the rotary macerator constantly draining. THere might be a way to set it up so that the power is going in a loop from the output of the MFSu back into its input.

Then use an MFSU maybe? Or have the power from the rotary macerator constantly draining. THere might be a way to set it up so that the power is going in a loop from the output of the MFSu back into its input.

MFSUs also explode from extreme voltage, and cannot be upgraded.

However, the rotary macerator might just work... If you give it a full stack of energy upgrades, and its transformer upgrades, and then you supply a redstone signal to it on a sequencer, you could make it constantly in the process of spinning up, which burns a ton of energy. I think it can burn through something like 2,000,000 Eu to get fully spun up, which takes maybe 5 minutes, so it could bleed off all the energy from a single full pulse in a minute or two, about the same amount of time to build it back up again from an HV solar =)

Good idea!

MFSUs also explode from extreme voltage, and cannot be upgraded.

However, the rotary macerator might just work... If you give it a full stack of energy upgrades, and its transformer upgrades, and then you supply a redstone signal to it on a sequencer, you could make it constantly in the process of spinning up, which burns a ton of energy. I think it can burn through something like 2,000,000 Eu to get fully spun up, which takes maybe 5 minutes, so it could bleed off all the energy from a single full pulse in a minute or two, about the same amount of time to build it back up again from an HV solar =)

Good idea!

You could also set it up so that you had the energy feed into multiple rotary macertors, thus allowing the energy to be bled off faster. You could set up a rotary macerator and an induction furnace, spit the energy between them, and have the macerator macerate a stack of ingots, which is pumped into the induction furnace, then pumped back into the macerator. If this causes it to reach max speed, you could probably set it up so that it goes back down to 0 rpm while the dust is smelting, then the furnace goes down to 0 heat while the ingots are re-macerating.

Another possibility is to have it go to a final HV transformer converting down, and have it power your machines and such. then the energy from the electric fence is actually used for things besides killing.

Also, I'm pretty sure the the MFSU can accept EV. Just saying.

Nope, just tested it. MFSUs blow up as normal. And mass fabs blow up with extreme prejudice (bout half of a nuke)

Regarding the ingots and whatnot: unnecessary. Simply applying and then removing a redstone current (for about 1/4 to 1/3 as long) will make it spin up and then rapidly spin down again then spin up, etc. This is what eats the massive amounts of energy. Not processing things. In fact, I don't think that advanced machines ever even care at all if they are processing something or not, energy-wise.

Nope, just tested it. MFSUs blow up as normal. And mass fabs blow up with extreme prejudice (bout half of a nuke)

Regarding the ingots and whatnot: unnecessary. Simply applying and then removing a redstone current (for about 1/4 to 1/3 as long) will make it spin up and then rapidly spin down again then spin up, etc. This is what eats the massive amounts of energy. Not processing things. In fact, I don't think that advanced machines ever even care at all if they are processing something or not, energy-wise.

would hooking up several advanced machines increase the speed at which it bleeds off energy?

Actually wait a second...

AHA! Okay I just tested, and if you make FOUR mass fabs, connected such that they are all exactly equal distance from the transformers (<-important!), then the packets will be split to 512 again, and they won't explode, and should soak up infinite energy instantly.

It's not even more expensive than the original design. probably cheaper, since 4 mass fabs should cost less than a stack of energy storage upgrades.

Actually wait a second...

AHA! Okay I just tested, and if you make FOUR mass fabs, connected such that they are all exactly equal distance from the transformers (<-important!), then the packets will be split to 512 again, and they won't explode, and should soak up infinite energy instantly.

and will that still deliver enough EU to kill quantum instantly?

and will that still deliver enough EU to kill quantum instantly?

Yes, confirmed. Damage seems to be total Eu through the wire in a tick, packets don't matter. (Lol at possibility of tin wire killing quantum armor people, btw)

ALSO, if you do it with 4 mass fabs, you can use glass fiber for everything except the little bit that actually kills! So you can stretch it much further away without having to add more transformers.

Guest Ysharma

Yeah. In his airship construction outpost, he has alchemical chests full of iron, copper, tin, gold, resin, redstone, nikolite, wood, and several other things. He has chests and chests full of other things, like wafers, diamonds, machines, tools. And that isn't even his main base. Somebody else on the server made a factory that creates LV solars. The diamond chest it outputs too is almost always full. You can steal several stacks of LV solars from him, and he won't notice because the chest will have refilled by the time he gets back.

You can not only steal the panels but the supplies which they are made of, like the electronic circuits, coal dust and generators to name a few

Guest Ysharma

I just found your trap and tested it (not with quantum) it works well! Good job :)

I tested the version of his trap in the shack left me with half of my hearts...

The turtle wasnt there but everything else was so i did the turtles job for it and left it in the chest in the shack

I tested the version of his trap in the shack left me with half of my hearts...

The turtle wasnt there but everything else was so i did the turtles job for it and left it in the chest in the shack

Pretty sure someone dismantled parts of it because when I looked back there, some of the wires were gone.