Quantum Vault (Tardis-like!)

Made_You_Look

Just throwing an idea out there, maybe someone who knows something about coding might find it interesting. Ahem.

Anyway, so imagine you have this block called the Quantum Vault, or whatever any potential modder wants to call it, which has a very expensive crafting recipe (as does everything worth crafting). You place this down at the corner of a structure you want to move, then activate it. With redstone, some kind of interface, or maybe EU if you make it an IC2 addon.

ZOOP! Now there is a (x) by (y) by (z) hole where your structure was. Oh no!

But wait! You go to a new location, place down the block at the corner of this location, and activate it again.

POW! Structure from before is now in front of you. The (x) by (y) by (z) area was saved by the block, removed by the block, then replaced by the block at a new location!

Not a bad idea, if I do say say myself. WorldEdit-ish, but not cheat-ish, as the structure is un-saved when you load it from the block. But wait, this apparently endless paragraph is not yet finished, for I have more ideas! :D

Quantum Vault MkII! Maybe with an interface you can increase/choose the size of the area, OR, similar to WirelessRedstone, you can set a frequency for the area and store/load unlimited numbers of areas in one block, enabling you to move MASSIVE structures in one go! SCIENCE!

It might be tricky to work around chests and other storage devices, and that which they store, or other things like redstone doodads, but I'm not a modder so I wouldn't know. I'm also not sure of the (xyz) dimension, but 16x16 sounds like an obvious choice.

Love to hear feedback, or a challenge accepted. :)

that's up to the modder who wants to take this up!

When "this" isn't defined, "this" can't be made.

Like hiring a filming crew without a story.

Specially in tekkit, the full scale of the functionality drasticly changes the way the game-element will change the game.

Another question, I just stored a whole biome in my Quantum Vault and now place my Quantum Vault in this nice city somebody else made.

Will your Quantum Vault erase the whole city?

You are suppose to cement those holes up everytime, that is how a brainfart becomes a design-document.

That is, IF you actually like this idea enough to have a flying chance to become real.

Why are you so serious about this? I just felt it might be an interesting idea for someone with the skills to implement it. If no-one wants it, oh well?

Lighten-up, broheim.

As long as its temporarily replacing the contents of the current location with the contents of the vault and not being truly larger on the inside like a tardis it shouldn't be impossible. I would start it blank though and make them build in it instead of cutting away whatever was there.

Why are you so serious about this? I just felt it might be an interesting idea for someone with the skills to implement it. If no-one wants it, oh well?

Lighten-up, broheim.

I am following your request you made in your first post:

Love to hear feedback, or a challenge accepted. :)

This is my feedback.

As long as its temporarily replacing the contents of the current location with the contents of the vault and not being truly larger on the inside like a tardis it shouldn't be impossible. I would start it blank though and make them build in it instead of cutting away whatever was there.

Assuming the core purpose for this mod is to reproduce something that can be placed and moved like a Tardis, I am wondering about how RedPower2 transforms a collection of blocks into a single entity prior to moving them with the aid of Support Frames and Frame_Motors.

Transforming the Tardis in this case into a single entity would be one possible way to store a section.

Next is the intent, as previous stated it seems we're trying to mimic something like the Tardis. This, to me, seems do be about transportation.

Because already have something like the Builder, where a building is reconstructed using the blocks supplied to it.

So we wants something different, a way to use a building as transport.

This seems to me like a way of teleporting where the building is taken along for the ride.

Part of me things that the origin and destination should have this Quantum Vault present already.

But we could also look at the way a Obsidian Netherportal is generated at the point of entree when a player enters the Overworld from the Nether at a new location.

Which of these two ways of moving a structure should we follow?

Both represent their own limitations and possibilities.

Or did I make a wrong assumption a step earlier? Did you infact wanted an instant building generator, like the Builder from BuilderCraft?

The Tardis part is storing a large area in a much smaller area. Like how the Tardis is bigger on the inside. You need to watch more Doc.

And frames make things incredibly complicated, and time consuming, while the builder needs you to supply additional materials, and also takes time.

And I get you're giving feedback, it just feels you're being unnecessarily aggressive about it. You're killing my buzz man!

You're killing my buzz man!
Condolences on the passing of your buzz. May it rest in peace.

So the only relation this idea has to the Tardis is the storing of large constructions in a small area?

In that case the Quantum Vault is nothing but a storage device.

Since this exists but is slow, we make an alternative method.

However, the cost of the existing method needs to be translated to something else.

I think this block should need EU or EMC directly related to the amount of blocks stored inside along with the value of each block.

However, since the builder also works with templates, why not borrow their system?

So we create a variation on the Template Drawing Table but instead of making a copy, the building itself is removed.

Since I don't know how to limit the area being stored, I guess we'll stick with the Landmarks of buildcraft for now.

So you scanned the building, and picked up the blocks afterwards.

It now contains a building.

This building could be HUGE or tiny.

To get it out, you need to charge the block, because there is no such thing as a free lunch.

The easiest implementation would be to allow it to be charged with EU, just pop it in a MFE or higher, and charge it like a battery.

This implementation depends on the possibility to create a chargeable object with a variable max-charge value.

Lacking this, the device would need to be powered after placing it on the new location.

Seeing how EU's don't allow themselves to be portable in large quantities, I would suggest allowing it to be charged with EMC instead, because a Klein_Star is easier to carry around compared to large amounts of batteries.

Toughts?

EDIT PS:

Perhaps it's a nice idea to separate the scanning and the building device, and have them spit out a "Quantum Vault Crystal", which still needs to be charged and placed in a Quantum Builder.

Sounds sweet. Using a modified builder and taking advantage of already in-place BC systems and infrastructure is a good idea. I'm not particularly partial to the EMC idea though, as myself and many others have remove EE from Technic/Tekkit, or simply don't use it, but I suppose not really my call since I'm pretty much throwing this over to the first willing modder, haha.

Sounds sweet. Using a modified builder and taking advantage of already in-place BC systems and infrastructure is a good idea. I'm not particularly partial to the EMC idea though, as myself and many others have remove EE from Technic/Tekkit, or simply don't use it, but I suppose not really my call since I'm pretty much throwing this over to the first willing modder, haha.

You are correct that relying on EMC might be problematic, however, can I build a Philosopher's_Stone on your server?

In that case I can still create a high EMC valued item and use that to charge the block prior to materializing the building.

But back to the first statement, let's try to keep in EU based instead.

That means you need to build an EU installation around the block that will generate the building.

Cumbersome but on the other hand, you ARE moving a building around.

Pointing back at my last edit on the end, perhaps you can have the portability AND have firm requirements for this block.

Separate the stored data from the device that builds/scans it.

The device scans and stores the building on a Quantum Vault Crystal.

Crystal needs to be charged (hoping the mod-framework supports items with an adjustable max_charge value).

This charged Quantum Vault Crystal needs to be placed in a Quantum Vault Builder and the contents of the crystal is emptied as the building is materialized.

EDIT: (But the whole concept of transforming a building into data in a vault/crystal reeks of EE-mod, something tels me this should be done with EMC somehow.)

But the whole concept of transforming a building into data in a vault/crystal reeks of EE-mod, something tels me this should be done with EMC somehow.

I don't get that, tbh. In my head, the structure is stored in a vacuum or a void of some sort, or stasis, within the vault. It feels more tech than magic to me. But again, it's up to the modder.

(I'll just abbreviate that as UTM since I'll probably be saying that alot)

I don't get that, tbh. In my head, the structure is stored in a vacuum or a void of some sort, or stasis, within the vault. It feels more tech than magic to me. But again, it's up to the modder.

(I'll just abbreviate that as UTM since I'll probably be saying that alot)

Yes... Like everything inside is stored in another dimension... Now that is TARDIS-like! I like it!

Finally, someone who understands! *sobs*

Yes... You bet I understand.

And if I knew anything about coding, anything at all, I would do it. But alas, I cannot, and thus the only two people within two miles who seem to understand anything about what a Time and Relative Dimensions in Space module even is shall be sad. *Pats you on back and begins to sob too*