INSIDE: "Technic Team should cater to my opinions & Mod Staff should coddle everyone for free"

zarb

The headline is a quote from Doc during the mindcrack panel at minecon, which Id generally consider to be a fairly reliable source, unless he picked something up the wrong way there.

So... I was wondering whether we could get a statement about this (pretty please). The answer would pretty much decide, whether Id continue waiting or whether Id be forced to assemble my own mod package (which would obviously lack the awesome mod interconnectivity bridges you guys are adding).

Not anymore. There probably won't be another Tekkit client, since Technic and Tekkit will be the same thing. Tekkit might remain as a server only, but Tekkit and technic clients are now exactly the same thing.

The headline is a quote from Doc during the mindcrack panel at minecon, which Id generally consider to be a fairly reliable source, unless he picked something up the wrong way there.

Please explain to me the reasoning you undertook to equate a youtuber (ugh that word) that has never been part of the Technic team with a "fairly reliable source" on this subject.

look, if youre just trying to be a smartass you can just get the fuck out. im not even gonna bother explaining it to you.

also yes, the clients might be the same but without a server you cant operate a... well server for it.

a simple, reliable "were working on it"/"we arent [...]" would suffice as far as the thread is concerned.

a simple, reliable "were working on it"/"we arent [...]" would suffice as far as the thread is concerned.

Well what do you want them to say?

"Waiting for mod to be updated!"

etc. until

"Waiting for mod to be ported to bukkit!"

I think you get the idea. They don't make the mods, and they have no control on their release and how fast they are updated/ported.

There's already a dev build out for Technic, but until the mods are ported for bukkit there will be no tekkit server.

look, if youre just trying to be a smartass you can just get the fuck out. im not even gonna bother explaining it to you.

also yes, the clients might be the same but without a server you cant operate a... well server for it.

Drop that attitude. It won't get you anything good here, other than an unfriendly prejudice from others.

When everything needed is out, there will be a new version of the server, but there's really no way to know, with how unpredictable the modders can be. There is still all this drama about Bukkit going, so it is quite possible the next version will take a long time to come out, but it won't be the Technic team's fault.

Also, as a rule of thumb, I don't consider anyone a reliable resource for anything Technic-related other than myself and the admins.

[...]

I think you get the idea. They don't make the mods, and they have no control on their release and how fast they are updated/ported.

There's already a dev build out for Technic, but until the mods are ported for bukkit there will be no tekkit server.

I know that theres a lot of waiting involved, especially on bukkit itself, but doc made it sound like there was a... "political" / bigger picture decision involved, as if it wasnt a question of WHEN, but rather a question of IF at all, until event X happens (1.5? mod api? optifine authors to become reasonable (haha, j/k)? ).

I just made an account because I felt like venting alittle.

I've been an avid player of Minecraft, more spesifically the typical "tekkit" mods for ages. At first I added all mods myself but jumped on the tekkit launcher when the name started going around. Mostly because of the less amount played during the time and for the ease it brings. So naturally i've been stalking these forums every so often to check on the updates, or more spesific, lack of.

This has to end. It should end. You know what I'm talking about, everyone asks, everyone wants to know, yet many hide behind the "It will come when it comes" statement/rule. Before going on, I'll just add that it's true. It -will- come when it comes. I know, and most other knows, that the people running the tekkit launcher doesn't work the mods themselves, they merely gather them into a package. Which in turn means they have to wait until the modders do what they do best and releases their updated mod.

But I'm not here to vent about how the people behind this laucher isn't updating their package. I want to vent about how they communicate to their player base.

Because the truth is, they have a big, really big playerbase using their launcher, and they need to/should start acting responsible towards it.

All this "It will come when it comes" talk is a two way respect case. We shouldn't pester them with questions about an spesific ETA on the release, it's out of their hands anyway. And they shouldn't be so restrictive to lift the hammer of banning whenever someone does either, or make it sound like it's an personal attack. As I previously stated, they have a huge player base. New clueless people is doomed to ask these questions, guide them, not ban them.

The community of such a popular thing like this deserves to be fed regular updates on the progress however. No, I'm not talking about "TEKKIT 4.X WILL BE RELEASED ON DESEMBER 24TH 2012!!!11", I'm talking regular updates such as "We've googled redpower 2, it seems its under work, looking forward to start porting it" and maybe add a list such as "Industrial craft, check. Buildcraft, check, redpower2, awaiting". Or maybe just let us know they've maybe contacted the mod maker to have a chat about it?

If you look past the general updates about forums and its changes, the updates we get, which is related to the mods themselves, is weeks apart, we don't know their plans, we don't know if the whole thing will break down tomorrow (extreme). It's worth mentioning that the author of either Buildcraft or Industrialcraft got a major smack in the face by his/her community for lack of response too.

We all know this launcher is "Your guys personal work" (I guess), but you really should start appriciating the playerbase and acknowledge it.

A community is a community guys, we humbly wish to take part of both the negative and posetive things. Share a word, please.

And honestly, I know alot of you guys agree with me, even if you want to keep it a secret. It's almost like I want people to report my post for whatever reason, because I want the moderators/admins to read it and think about it. Have a chat among themselves how they wish to rule this launcher. Currently it feels like your gripping onto it with an iron fist.

And quite frankly I think just this topic should have its own thread albeit I guess it wouldn't live long.

Edit: So this post earned me this mail;

You're offensive, demanding, and spoiled rotten. That or ignorant, which is no excuse.

From Mr. Simpleguy

It's funny, how trying to be constructive gives such a response from a moderator. You're doing a good job Simpleguy. And looking past the "update" part of my post, taking a closer look at the "Community" part, the email I got and the Edit you did just further proves the point. This isn't a friendly nice community, this is like L4D2. People calling eachother dicks for no reason.

Not to mention that the Twitter updates are proving my point of lack of actual informative updates about Tekkit.

See if this earnes me a ban because someone can't handle alittle talkback :) "Ohhh noo..."

You know what I'm talking about, everyone asks, everyone wants to know, yet many hide behind the "It will come when it comes" statement/rule. Before going on, I'll just add that it's true. It -will- come when it comes. I know, and most other knows, that the people running the tekkit launcher doesn't work the mods themselves, they merely gather them into a package. Which in turn means they have to wait until the modders do what they do best and releases their updated mod.

The community of such a popular thing like this deserves to be fed regular updates on the progress however. No, I'm not talking about "TEKKIT 4.X WILL BE RELEASED ON DESEMBER 24TH 2012!!!11", I'm talking regular updates such as "We've googled redpower 2, it seems its under work, looking forward to start porting it" and maybe add a list such as "Industrial craft, check. Buildcraft, check, redpower2, awaiting". Or maybe just let us know they've maybe contacted the mod maker to have a chat about it?

A community is a community guys, we humbly wish to take part of both the negative and positive things. Share a word, please.

I guess what people are wanting to know is "What are we waiting on?". The news item suggests we are waiting for the mods to update and for a good number of bukkit plugins to be ported over to forge, however

... but until the mods are ported for bukkit there will be no tekkit server.

suggests we are waiting on stuff to be ready for bukkit.

... but until the mods are ported for bukkit there will be no tekkit server.

If that is the official stance then that post in the form of a sticky would probably stop some of the questions (and satisfy the users who want to know a timeframe but know that they shouldn't ask.) Maybe something like (example for the current version version of tekkit)

The minimum things that need to happen before the next version of Tekkit comes out:

• Bukkit updates to 1.2.5
  • Mods update to 1.2.5
  • Mods get ported to bukkit

We don't know when these things will happen, so don't ask.

would be something nicer to make a sticky.

the technic client is a client. meaning its doing rendering and sounds and everything you need to enjoy minecraft. you cannot run this on a server however, because a server either has no video hardware whatsoever or at least doesnt have any kind of graphics acceleration nor does it have sound hardware so the client wouldnt even start on a server. a real tekkit server will always be required to be able to run dedicated servers.

the technic client is a client. meaning its doing rendering and sounds and everything you need to enjoy minecraft. you cannot run this on a server however, because a server either has no video hardware whatsoever or at least doesnt have any kind of graphics acceleration nor does it have sound hardware so the client wouldnt even start on a server. a real tekkit server will always be required to be able to run dedicated servers.

LAN mode works already, you do realise that right? Tekkit servers just need the control that Bukkit, or in the future Forge, gives to servers. Without control, there would be anarchy on Tekkit servers, which is why we need the Bukkit ports on top of mod updates. Minecraft 1.3 merged the client and the server, so now pretty much your whole post has been made false. I understand it if you haven't found out about it yet, since you play Tekkit which is 1.2.5, but remember that things really changed at 1.3.

haha you go ahead and try launching the minecraft client on a server that has no hardware as has been described above. ill come back in a month or two to laugh at you. of course theres a server included in the client as of 1.3 for the LAN feature but you cant access it to run a dedicated server - that is a server that doesnt necessarily has the client its been launched from to be connected.

lan mode obviously only works in a LAN setting, which is why its called LAN so youd need at least some VPN software to use that over the internet. however, you really dont want to do that (which tells me that you never tried, otherwise youd know) because of bandwidth and availability issues and then no VPN solution is flawless, not even openVPN.

you only need "control" on a server if you dont trust your friends. if you dont - get new ones, seriously.

please educate yourself before posting garbage and also assuming Id play tekkit (which I dont).

Tekkit is often used for public servers. THAT is where control is needed.

What difference does it make, anyway? You could probably just copy the mods folder of a technic into a vanilla server and it would work. All I'm saying is that a Technic client can run a server on it's own.

Your post does kind of confuse me though - are you trying to say that a server could never run a client or a client could never run a server? While dedicated servers do exist, LAN mode and the way mods are now created pretty much merge client and server automatically. Or are you saying you need a server as in a separate computer? I can run both client and server(separately) quite well on my laptop.

We all know this launcher is "Your guys personal work" (I guess), but you really should start appriciating the playerbase and acknowledge it.

So why do you feel unappreciated? Because the developers don't need to regurgitate every little thing they do and blog and tweet about the latest dump they took on the golden throne? Because they don't play with the playerbase?

If they didn't give a shit about the playerbase, they wouldn't have even made the forums back in January and instead kept the shitty tumblr-like chain-comment system they had that consisted of their entire community. If they didn't give a shit about the playerbase, they wouldn't have even released Technic/Tekkit to the public and kept it a private thing between goons. If they didn't give a shit about the playerbase, they wouldn't pay for 2 TB bandwidth a day to keep you and your friends playing and not expect anything in return (Hint: 2 TB a month can be about $100. Not sure if the cost scales proportionally, but imagine paying $100 a day). The number of developers working on Technic/Tekkit is in the single digit range easily, and they have real-world jobs (you know, to earn money to pay for things. Things like, I don't know, hosting fees?), so it's no wonder they'd rather use their free time to work on Technic/Tekkit than talk with strangers about the work they could be doing instead.

In short, they spend a large amount time behind the scenes working for your behalf. The fact you feel unappreciated is really offensive considering they're sacrificing a lot in the real world just so you can come here and be a whiny demanding brat about it.

It's almost like I want people to report my post for whatever reason, because I want the moderators/admins to read it and think about it. Have a chat among themselves how they wish to rule this launcher. Currently it feels like your gripping onto it with an iron fist.

I'm not sure if it's the moderating style you're referring to, or the fact that the devs are too busy working for you for free to talk to you personally that you are complaining about. Either way, it's not like mods/admins are aloof of everyone else. You could just as easily hop into IRC and chat us all up. But no, instead you're here driving by in a Ferrari complaining that it isn't a Lamborghini.

And quite frankly I think just this topic should have its own thread albeit I guess it wouldn't live long.

No it wouldn't in the self-entitled whiny demanding way you're going about it.

If they didn't give a shit about the playerbase, they wouldn't have even made the forums back in January and instead kept the shitty tumblr-like chain-comment system they had that consisted of their entire community. If they didn't give a shit about the playerbase, they wouldn't have even released Technic/Tekkit to the public and kept it a private thing between goons. If they didn't give a shit about the playerbase, they wouldn't pay for 2 TB bandwidth a day to keep you and your friends playing and not expect anything in return (Hint: 2 TB a month can be about $100. Not sure if the cost scales proportionally, but imagine paying $100 a day). The number of developers working on Technic/Tekkit is in the single digit range easily, and they have real-world jobs (you know, to earn money to pay for things. Things like, I don't know, hosting fees?), so it's no wonder they'd rather use their free time to work on Technic/Tekkit than talk with strangers about the work they could be doing instead.

Which brings up the question, what the hell is Kaker's job? I keep my bets on Bill Gate's yacht personal driver.

Also, I'd just like to remind you (Not you simple, the other guy) that those messages wouldn't really learn us anything. All we're waiting is for stuff to be updated. All the information the Technic team has on this subject is public, so if you wonder "Hmm, is the latest version of RP in the technic pack yet?", you just have to go google it, check if it is out, and if it's not out, it's not in the Technic pack either.

But no, instead you're here driving by in a Ferrari complaining that it isn't a Lamborghini.

Well, Lamborghini's ARE much better than Ferrari's. (No second meaning intended)

Which brings up the question, what the hell is Kaker's job? I keep my bets on Bill Gate's yacht personal driver.

Also, I'd just like to remind you (Not you simple, the other guy) that those messages wouldn't really learn us anything. All we're waiting is for stuff to be updated. All the information the Technic team has on this subject is public, so if you wonder "Hmm, is the latest version of RP in the technic pack yet?", you just have to go google it, check if it is out, and if it's not out, it's not in the Technic pack either.

Well, Lamborghini's ARE much better than Ferrari's. (No second meaning intended)

I think that's a matter of personal preference. Personally, I like my Ferrari a lot more than my Lamborghini. I drive the Lambo on crappy weather days.

So why do you feel unappreciated? Because the developers don't need to regurgitate every little thing they do and blog and tweet about the latest dump they took on the golden throne? Because they don't play with the playerbase?

Oh I'm sure they're not doing anything they wouldn't be capable of doing in the first place, economically wise. Not to mention whatever gets donated(If they have such a thing) but more likely the deals they have with Akliz, Enjin and the commercials they have on the front page. Also not to forget that the remaining costs are spread out, at least, on the founders of technicpack, assuming it's a tiny circle of friends. In the end though, what do you expect when it turned out to be such a success. Like you said, they didn't have to upgrade their forums nor hosting, but they did it anyway, because they could. If they did it only out of the blizz of success, commiting financial suicide, I guess they had it coming.

Just for you Simpleguy; TL;DR : They're not in over their heads. If they are, good job.

In short, they spend a large amount time behind the scenes working for your behalf. The fact you feel unappreciated is really offensive considering they're sacrificing a lot in the real world just so you can come here and be a whiny demanding brat about it.

It's funny how you're trying to play on guilt here. They're not sacrificing alot, or anything in the real world. Again, they're not in over their heads. If they can't do it, they won't do it or get paid to do it. This is their hobby, if the current state of the launcher represent a general picture of how they have always been working, then they are not really doing much more then what they did in the very start when it wasnt as popular.

I'm not sure if it's the moderating style you're referring to, or the fact that the devs are too busy working for you for free to talk to you personally that you are complaining about. Either way, it's not like mods/admins are aloof of everyone else. You could just as easily hop into IRC and chat us all up. But no, instead you're here driving by in a Ferrari complaining that it isn't a Lamborghini.

It is the moderating style i'm referring to yes. And I'm not asking for much here, I'm asking for less work on your behalf and for you to be guiding and not banning. This whole thing is a proof to that. Look, take me for instance, Say I came here and complained like I did, pumped out alot of false accusations, being demanding.

GUIDE me then. Throw me a link to twitter, tell me to come to IRC to chat, refer me to obvious stickies I should've noticed. Throw in a joke and then try to spread your goal of having a friendly community helping eachother out. Hell, a warning like you did infact give me could be apropriate.

What wasnt appropriate however, is the fact your taking it all as a personal offense, calling names and being sarcy. "You're offensive, demanding, and spoiled rotten. That or ignorant, which is no excuse." From the email of yours. Why not just say "Read the forum rules and stickies before posting "

No it wouldn't in the self-entitled whiny demanding way you're going about it.

Kinda would..