"Fairytale-themed" costumes?

Kocken926

So I've recently been informed that my schools party-thing is going to require everyone to dress up, and the theme is Story/Fairy tale. I would like to be atleast a little bit original, since everyone has gotten the bright idea to dress up as Gandalf or Jesus, but still maintain a reasonable budget.

My biggest problem is the fact that if I come as anything remotely original, hardly anyone will get it, since the majority of my class seems to be culturally inept 9gag-and Facebook-is-the-whole-internet-ers. Gaming-costumes are probably too far-fetched too...

So does anyone have an idea what to dress up as, walking the fine line between unoriginal and urecogniseable?

Hardly practical, and not from any tale. As I said (wrote?), gaming costumes will probably not work, the perfect costume would be something everyone would recognize, but would be atleast a little bit clever/original.

The main reason this is hard is because most people in my school are uncivilized barbarians (non-gamers) :/

It's Finland, everyone knows about Väinämöinen here.

uncivilized barbarians (non-gamers) :/

Please take that with a grain of salt. It was meant as a joke.

And I can't go as a pretentious asshole, I actually need to pretend to be something I'm not.

Words... Story/Fairy tale... Words.

Once upon a time, there was a red engineer named Kocken. He went to a party dressed up as himself, which is valid because he's in this story. And the recursion broke the universe and it was so awesome that everybody died. THE END.

All of the fairy tales I know of are older ones. Pretty much you have knights, princes, kings, commoners, and sometimes elves or trolls (rarely). I vaguely remember reading a story about some tiny little person, but pretty sure it was just a small human.

I have to say, for all the fairy tales I've read, I'm at quite a loss here.

Unless you want to grab something from Disney.