Should there be more mods in Voltz?

Scottish1900

I just can't help but feel that Voltz is incomplete without a couple of mods, Buildcraft and Industrialcraft 2 are the main ones. Any others would just be overkill, but those two seem important considering this is a mod devoted to bring electricity to minecraft. Of course I realise there would be problems with Copper and Tin, being that Universal electricity has those two, and so does IC2, not to mention uranium, but I still feel it would make a good addition to Voltz.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This modpack is not just devoted to bringing electricity to minecraft. The whole point of Voltz it to have a single type of electricity that any machine, any battery and any generator can deal with. IC2 and Buildcraft each have their own type of electricity that is not fully compatible with any other mod. The transformer mods that move energy between IC2 and Buildcraft are not the kind of energy transfer methods that are acceptable. These mods are only for direct, low lever interface between two normally incompatible mods. Voltz tries to eliminate this by using only one type of electricity so there is no confusion at all.

However there are some missing parts that I can see. Namely a way to automatically mine!

I would like to see redstone wire so that you can build multilevel missile silos better. I would also like to see lights. If they could add this to their mod or just include others it would make building easier and you could make better military installations.

Professor, the key problem with your logic is the fact that Tekkit takes ages to update, and I believe it is still in 1.2.5. I want to see a more up to date mod pack, specifically one that lets you automate better. My problem with railcraft is, they have a hugely expensive machine, the rock crusher, and it has no use at all other than reinforced track! I would love to see it do the same thing a Macerator does, or at least make it not so difficult to get. Also, the steam you make has to be directly hooked up to the engines for it to work, making your base a massive mess, which is why I want BC.

I agree with you that Voltz is incomplete, as it is still in very early development stages. Now that it has been released to the public I expect development will speed up considerably in terms of user friendliness (including all the things you miss). And from their ambitious goals, it is possible it will be better than the mods that you miss.

My simple answer to your question is definitely, no. Rather than add more mods, simply finish the ones that are there first, and I expect Tekkit will be a thing of the past (kind of like MC 1.2.5).

Throwing a bunch of barely compatible mods together is exactly the mess that Tekkit is stuck with now, and just one of the many reasons it is still stuck with MC 1.2.5. Starting over is a much wiser approach and thus we have Voltz.

A bit of patience is in order Scottish1900, but for now I would take ProfessorFalken's advice if you feel you absolutly cannot live without BC or IC2.

Just fyi, it is not a matter of just adding BC or IC2 to the mod package Voltz (this would be no simple matter). BC and IC2 would both have to reprogram their mods to work with the UE api in order to be added to the Voltz package (Among many, many other things) - it is a requirement as stated by the developers. Since BC and IC2 still aren't even fully compatible with each other I expect this will never happen. Starting from scratch or waiting for similar methods to be implemented into the Voltz mods is a more likely outcome.

A gun mod of some kind would be fitting.

Not unless it uses the UE in some way. I feel that any mod added to Voltz should use UE in some way. What I'd really like to see is some more decoration possibilities. I feel like part of what makes a modpack great is seeing the physical creations. Gigantic IC factories, enormous palaces made of marble and microblocks, airships made of motor/frame systems, you get the idea. Microblocks could help out with this, but I don't think it would fit well without using, or at least benefiting from UE in some way. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I'm hardly the most knowledgeable on the subject.

Not unless it uses the UE in some way. I feel that any mod added to Voltz should use UE in some way. What I'd really like to see is some more decoration possibilities. I feel like part of what makes a modpack great is seeing the physical creations. Gigantic IC factories, enormous palaces made of marble and microblocks, airships made of motor/frame systems, you get the idea. Microblocks could help out with this, but I don't think it would fit well without using, or at least benefiting from UE in some way. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I'm hardly the most knowledgeable on the subject.

Maybe some kind of like nazi zombie style wonder weapon thing that uses electricity?

I have to admit I really miss the logic gates and microblocks... I can do without tubes, using the hilariously inefficient (Oddly enough, I consider this as a plus) conveyor belts, but I just can't get around not having any basalt anywhere.

I can live without IC2. It would be a welcome addition to me, but it isn't really needed.

However, I would still like to see BC, as it improves Railcraft. You can use steam better, transporting it over larger areas. The pipes are the main reason I would like to see that in, and Railcraft (As far as I am aware of) is modelled with BC in mind.

But then again, it would take away the uses of rails, making rail craft kind of useless. Basic Pipes mod isn't user friendly, the tanks are very confusing and I can't get them to work, and the TMI mod didn't help with finding out the recipe for an Iron tube. Would love it if Steam Power updated a bit and made it a bit less confusing.

Also, am I the only one wondering if Steam powered carts will be added? Lol

Two mods that i think would be great is Computercraft and Wireless redstone. Then you could control your immense base from one room! I do know that they are both compatible with IBCM mod and UE.

I agree with Slenderman, we should add a gun mod but unlike gman i don't think we necessarily need UE on the guns. But if that is important they could be fueled by existing, or special batteries, Also maybe more types of bullets could be added like the diversity in grenades.

I think the adaptation of buildcraft quaries to accept UE would be nice, then we could save our coke coal on steal rather than tunnel bores. However, I wouldnt complain if they left out buildcraft pipes. Oh and an updated Wiki on how to start off would be nice.

Scottish, you can't fire a missile at a creeper who is 10 feet away from you and missiles are a pain in the ass to build. Plus, the enderdragon doesn't collide with missiles. I think an easy way to add guns would be to just add a handgun, a sniper, an smg, an assualt rifle and and a shotgun, and then a bullet is crafted with an iron and a flint on top of it gives you ten bullets and if you craft a battery onto a gun it shoots electricity and becomes more powerful and I get off topic but maybe also add a laser sight to make it at least somewhat use UE.

A flashlight or flashlight helmet would be handy, too.

Professor, the key problem with your logic is the fact that Tekkit takes ages to update, and I believe it is still in 1.2.5. I want to see a more up to date mod pack, specifically one that lets you automate better. My problem with railcraft is, they have a hugely expensive machine, the rock crusher, and it has no use at all other than reinforced track! I would love to see it do the same thing a Macerator does, or at least make it not so difficult to get. Also, the steam you make has to be directly hooked up to the engines for it to work, making your base a massive mess, which is why I want BC.

Rock Crushers DO work like a Macerator.

Scottish, you can't fire a missile at a creeper who is 10 feet away from you and missiles are a pain in the ass to build. Plus, the enderdragon doesn't collide with missiles. I think an easy way to add guns would be to just add a handgun, a sniper, an smg, an assualt rifle and and a shotgun, and then a bullet is crafted with an iron and a flint on top of it gives you ten bullets and if you craft a battery onto a gun it shoots electricity and becomes more powerful and I get off topic but maybe also add a laser sight to make it at least somewhat use UE.

A flashlight or flashlight helmet would be handy, too.

I'll accept that the flashlight would be handy. But the guns you're describing just sounds like SDK gun mod, which I was never a fan of. It's always been fine for me to kill everything with swords and bows. Especially with the addition of obsidian tools and the electric bow, it feels easy enough to kill everything you see.

We don't need guns, we got fckin missiles than can launch a thousand blocks away, we need more factory related items. Wireless redstone sounds nice, but I am almost certain none of it is compatible with Voltz.

we already have missiles, this is about mods we should ADD and i do know that wireless redstone is indeed compatible. And yeah factory related items would be good.