ForgePermissions, How it works, and How to Make it Work

Tux2

I'm sorry i fixed it... again sorry.

So you're saying that there is a new version of FE that fixes the permissions lockouts? I've been pulling whats left of my hair out trying to get this to work. I've simply just disabled the whole protection, but FE continues to override and overwrite the vanilla commands. Simple things such as /gamemode 1 Player_2 have been hampered. Even /tp is messed up that I cannot tp to coordinates and tp to another player is iffy at best.

I attempted to remove FE completely and was thwarted by wget's actions re-downloading it. I can remove the jar from the plugins directory, but that does not turn it off.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see some nascent permission node documentation in the modules. Perhaps it would save some time if, instead of writing the wiki manually, ForgeEssentials were to add some annotations to automate that tedious stuff.

In any case, users can't be expected to glean them from the source code, and some efficient documenting will save everyone time.

You guys do know that forge essentials is being developed by people that dont owe you anything and they are doing it in their own time? The sense of entitlement here is disgraceful. If you have a problem then let them know. Don't make demands, you don't have the right.

Personally I appreciate the attempt to make such a difficult and complete plugin. I know it will take a good while for it to be properly ready though and even longer to get everyone up to speed on it.

Sense has just not been made.

This rant is out of place in an otherwise productive discussion. There are no demands.

There's no shortage of gratitude here; criticism and appreciation are not mutually exclusive responses. If anything, highlighting problems and suggesting how they may be improved is more useful.

EDIT: Pir, ForgeEssentials, which is included in TekkitLite, includes ForgePermissions.

You guys do know that forge essentials is being developed by people that dont owe you anything and they are doing it in their own time? The sense of entitlement here is disgraceful. If you have a problem then let them know. Don't make demands, you don't have the right.

Personally I appreciate the attempt to make such a difficult and complete plugin. I know it will take a good while for it to be properly ready though and even longer to get everyone up to speed on it.

I'm not making demands. I'm just stuck running a multiplayer Tekkit Lite server that has all the adminstrative functionality of a vanilla minecraft server and since becoming dependent on BukkitForge is not advisable for a long term server solution....I am really hoping for the best out of FE...I don't really need a LOT of server side administrative stuff and FE is a nice tight package that does what I need it to do.

I'm just cranked it got pulled in 0.5.2 and would have rather have kept the base alpha functionality than not have any at all.

I'm just cranked it got pulled in 0.5.2 and would have rather have kept the base alpha functionality than not have any at all.

Author asked it to be pulled for what they see is a good reason, if you want it back, use a custom zip, annoying but that is how it is

That said some prewarning would have been nice as I used the time I spent upgrading from 0.5.1 to 0.5.2 to actually set-up permissions and protection instead of the blanket allow I put in when I first installed, kinda wasted effort since I'm not relying on those features but would have been nice to have them working

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to get it to work. When I set up essentials I only got a groups.cfg, none of the other ones. I did get a database file that shows gibberish when opened in notepad++ so I assume it's for commands. I manually created the other files, by copying and pasting the sample permissions set up in this thread. This had no effect. I'm trying to set up a server such that even the default group can go ahead and build without a whitelist. I copied the permissions from the member group to the default, but it had no effect. I was not able to place players into the member group by using the files I created. What did work however is adding people to it using the command, but the command did not work for altering permission files. I got a response saying it was set to true for the guest group, but they still couldn't builds unless manually added to the member group by command.

Anyone knows what's going on? The thread says all the cfg files should be created on startup, but I only got groups.cfg even when I removed essentials and added them back in.

• 2 weeks later...

Can forgepermissions replace a bukkit permissions plugin to work with permissions nodes from bukkitforge added plugins?

For example if I add forgebukkit, and then add the WorldEdit plugin, can I use forgepermissions to add the "worldedit.selection.chunk" permission node to groups/users?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the guide but it does not appear to be valid any more. If I add ForgeEssentials to my server and start it up:

• No default group.cfg, player.cfg, or permission.cfg files are created.
  • When I create these files, exactly as described above, even copying and pasting your examples into my files and changing player names, they have absolutely no effect. Anyone who logs in has no interaction permissions. It seems that the basic permissions hierarchy is already setup and that the default is to use the h2 db format, making the creation of cfg files irrelevant out of the box.
  • Not all the commands listed as available to guests are available to them out of the box. The only ones that work are /motd, /msg, /rules.
  • The wiki says that there are default groups created already, which I do see when I run "/p group list". However, the only thing that seems to work is going from Guest to another group. When I add myself to the "Members" group via the console, I am able to interact with the world (place and break blocks, go through doors, switch-on machinery, etc.) but I still cannot use many of the basic commands which the wiki implies ("Members are where Protection first lets them through. The have all the permissions the Guests do not. They also have access to compass teleports") are enabled in the Members group such as /list, and /compass. (/compass does not even appear to be a valid command any more.) I had to add all the basic commands manually, using the example as a template.

For me, getting this mod to work out of the box required the following steps:

1. unzip the plugin into the appropriate place on the server, start it up and go to the console.
  2. /p default set Guest
  3. /p group Members prefix set &f[&2Member&f]
  4. /p group Members priority set 10
  5. /p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.BasicCommands.afk
  6. /p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.BasicCommands.bed
  7. /p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.BasicCommands.home
  8. /p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.BasicCommands.home.set
  9. /p group Members allow ForgeEssentials.BasicCommands.spawn
  10. /p user weirdbeard group set Members

These steps got me from out of the box to basic functionality.

One thing I am missing, though- and I have not found it anywhere in the docs- is the ability to list permissions assigned to a group. How do I know what permissions are set for each group apart from using a utility to open the database file and look inside it?

Thanks for your hard work providing the community with this valuable utility!