Not feeling the love...

Stone Rhino

So I've been a mega fan of tekkit ever since I discovered it. I have a few comments since the release of TKT Lite. Please read all of it before you start flame-rage-trolling.

I'm fully aware that this was just released and lots of plugins are still in beta. FTB seems more interested in making promo vids rather than update their code, hence why I stuck with Tekkit, but because of players leaving my server to go to FTB/TKT-L, my hand is forced to update just to keep what few people remain.

For the Tekkit Crew:

1. Tekkit Lite feels horribly rushed: As a matter of fact it feels as if it was never meant to exist with the amount of incompleteness that I am seeing. With 1.5 coming out, what are you going to do now? Sit on your hands like all the other modders and pray it fixes itself? Again, I understand that these plugins are beta. If Lite is beta as well, it too needs to be marked that way.
  2. Where's bukkit?: There's something missing. Bukkit. So now lots of plugins don't work properly. I had intended to install Essentials, but Forge comes with this now and its a horrible replacement. Sure there are workarounds, but it's not going to be the same.
  3. The community does not want to write your documentation!: How are we supposed to know how it works if you don't? I'm talking to you ForgeEssentials team. Not everyone understands Java/J++ or whatever it is. Thanks to Tux2 for his insight on the permissions problems.

For the General Public:

Q: "Why doesnt my world work on lite?" / "Why is my 3.1.2 world screwed up on lite?"

A: Because of the plugin changes and the ID shifts, it will be impossible for you to import it without deleting any reference to old ID's. This means that large pieces of your world will go away. There's a reason why its a completely different installation, it's not compatible. Lots of work will have to be done to get it to work properly.

Q: "Where's forestry? Can I haz plz?"

A: Its not coming back. So please stop asking the tekkit folks and go yell at the mod author for being <#Insert epithet or insult here>.

Ooh ooh, I wanna answer some.

Tekkit Lite feels horribly rushed: As a matter of fact it feels as if it was never meant to exist with the amount of incompleteness that I am seeing. With 1.5 coming out, what are you going to do now? Sit on your hands like all the other modders and pray it fixes itself? Again, I understand that these plugins are beta. If Lite is beta as well, it too needs to be marked that way.

Most of the mods aren't complete yet. (Looking at you, EE3.)

I agree it feels a bit rushed but it's still fun c:

Where's bukkit?: There's something missing. Bukkit. So now lots of plugins don't work properly. I had intended to install Essentials, but Forge comes with this now and its a horrible replacement. Sure there are workarounds, but it's not going to be the same.

Forgebukkit is dead.

No more Bukkit for Tekkit.

It's more like multiplayer Technic now.

The community shouldn't have to write your documentation!: How are we supposed to know how it works if you don't? I'm talking to you ForgeEssentials team. Not everyone understands Java/J++ or whatever it is. Thanks to Tux2 for his insight on the permissions problems.

We do?

Edit:

Oh no they're already here!

Get out while you can!

Ooh ooh, I wanna answer some.

Most of the mods aren't complete yet. (Looking at you, EE3.)

I agree it feels a bit rushed but it's still fun c:

Forgebukkit is dead.

No more Bukkit for Tekkit.

It's more like multiplayer Technic now.

We do?

More so than you realize. Their command list is incomplete on GitHub. I had to type out all the commands into a document from the console by doing /help <number>. There are duplicate commands, some that already are handled by the vanilla core, but conflict with the ForgeEssentials. For example, /gamemode does not allow me to set other peoples game modes by using the vanilla syntax. So the only way for the others to get this, is to make them an op, then let them do the command, and revoke op. Like hell that's happening.

Lack of permission description and information on the ForgeEssentials page. I'm sure they're busy crushing bugs atm, but no list of perm's at all? Not even one? Tux2's permission thread is simple at best, and offers minimal insight as to why I'm giving permission to each of those commands. So, I'm going off of Tux2's permissions for each group.

It'd be great to get a java app that would churn out these three files for you (Yes I'm lazy), so all you have to do is paste and start the server back up.

The community shouldn't have to write your documentation!: How are we supposed to know how it works if you don't? I'm talking to you ForgeEssentials team. Not everyone understands Java/J++ or whatever it is. Thanks to Tux2 for his insight on the permissions problems.

I'd like to draw everyone's attention to the phrase "have to"

We can use 'have to' to express a strong obligation. When we use 'have to' this usually means that some external circumstance makes the obligation necessary.

I have yet to write a lick of documentation, so the only thing I "have to" do is sit on my ass twiddling my thumbs when I can't find an answer via google or the other people on my server

But wait, while I do that I can enjoy all the other things that are documented and I can wait patiently for someone that WANTS to write documentation (props to those people, +1 and all that)

Of course I have another option, I can go at whatever is undocumented head on and work out how the **** it works, and who knows, maybe I'll document my findings because I WANT to

More so than you realize. Their command list is incomplete on GitHub. I had to type out all the commands into a document from the console by doing /help <number>. There are duplicate commands, some that already are handled by the vanilla core, but conflict with the ForgeEssentials. For example, /gamemode does not allow me to set other peoples game modes by using the vanilla syntax. So the only way for the others to get this, is to make them an op, then let them do the command, and revoke op. Like hell that's happening.

Lack of permission description and information on the ForgeEssentials page. I'm sure they're busy crushing bugs atm, but no list of perm's at all? Not even one? Tux2's permission thread is simple at best, and offers minimal insight as to why I'm giving permission to each of those commands. So, I'm going off of Tux2's permissions for each group.

It'd be great to get a java app that would churn out these three files for you (Yes I'm lazy), so all you have to do is paste and start the server back up.

The command list is incomplete, because the PROGRAM is incomplete. Stop being an entitled child. You are having shit tailored to make it as easy as possible for you, but you're complaining that it isn't fully functional the entire time it's BEING MADE. Nut up, and wait until it's finished. You sound incredibly ungrateful.

Forgebukkit is dead.

Is it? Then why has the author been updating it making fixes as recently as this morning? It was probably slowing but my guess is with Tekkit Lite out and many people now using FB to try to fill some needed gaps in server capabilities it might become much more active and working.

It's far from perfect, think it's behind in some CB versioning as well but I'd hardly call it dead. It works fairly well for any plugin that doesn't require perms or have internal perms. I think Vault right now isn't working with FB which is why perms don't work. For example I can use essentials and anything I make active for everyone, everyone can use. But another plugin that uses perms will give OPs the permissions but no one else regardless of group flaggings.

Weird mos of the mods are working for bukkit and forge.

Just check:

It comes with spigot : http://www.mcportcentral.co.za/index.php?topic=4417.0

There are a good number of mods (IC, EE - buggy, BC, Core mods and more)

http://mcportcentral.co.za/wiki/index.php?title=Ports_for_1.4.6

Just the mods Forestry and Computercraft are missing. But I guess there is enough to make a new tekkit classic(1.4.6)

Or what do you think?

Is it? Then why has the author been updating it making fixes as recently as this morning? It was probably slowing but my guess is with Tekkit Lite out and many people now using FB to try to fill some needed gaps in server capabilities it might become much more active and working.

It's far from perfect, think it's behind in some CB versioning as well but I'd hardly call it dead. It works fairly well for any plugin that doesn't require perms or have internal perms. I think Vault right now isn't working with FB which is why perms don't work. For example I can use essentials and anything I make active for everyone, everyone can use. But another plugin that uses perms will give OPs the permissions but no one else regardless of group flaggings.

Read here please.

Do you not check the Technic/Tekkit news?

See, I have no idea what this whole fiasco that was mentioned is about. I could care less about politics and internal struggles. The issue stands. Keep the server safe from those that wish it harm, and keep it simple at doing so. This is not about MY convenience, but the enjoyment of those who play.

If you cannot keep it safe, then what happens is that your players go elsewhere.

See, I have no idea what this whole fiasco that was mentioned is about. I could care less about politics and internal struggles. The issue stands. Keep the server safe from those that wish it harm, and keep it simple at doing so.

"I don't care why things happen, just make them stop happening, I'm scared and confused. >:(" - You

Cut it out. Stop whining, things are changing, and for the better.

Read here please.

Do you not check the Technic/Tekkit news?

That's from November...and even there it doesn't say it's dead...just "likely dead"

The fact new jenkins builds are coming out regularly leads me to believe me that 2 month old article is ...well out of date.

All this being said I'd like to get away completely from bukkit as it is. Hopefully when ForgeEssentials comes out with a full release that'll be able to start happening.

• Moderators

Actually, since that post numerous projects have come out. There is even a stickied thread about how to use one of them. They're just not as stable and solid as the old forgebukkit so there is no classic build yet

http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/how-to-get-bukkit-plugins-to-work-on-tekkit-lite.34804/page-2#post-291799

Here. This Might help with the bukkit issues. As for my opinion, I do agree that lite feels like beta and will feel that way for some time. But some day it will have mods that are not Alpha (cough EE3 chough!) and will work cohesively. For now it is quite sulky but some day, hopefully soon, it will not.