0.6.1 Update - Questions/Discussion

marble

Ok this has only come up since update so figured post here, how do you limit an energy bridge? this is the only issue I'm facing so far on server since update, most the things have been sorted easily enough although users regularly getting lost in dimensions seems like it could be an issue. Previously the various electric engines could be graded for the desired amount of power and in particular the adjustable you could set to the right rate for your BC etc machines and not eat all the eu. This functionality and the ability to turn the damn thing off seems to have been lost with energy bridges etc. Has anyone come up with a way to limit these and turn them off easily? so far the only set-up seems to be to choose the right consumer for a limited amount of rate control and put a eu splitter cable in to stop eu consumption. Fingers crossed it's something easy I'm missing.

• Discord Moderator

but is it too much to ask that recommended versions of official modpacks get changelogs

The TekkitLite wiki has a changelog that is currently up to date

Draemus: One can use a redstone energy cell which both acts as a MJ storage device and provides a mechanism for controlling output with redstone. Additionally, the conduits and tesseracts from Thermal Expansion provide a great way to both control output with a signal, and to automatically limit MJ usage. I have conduits running from a cell attached to a BC producer which connect up to a tesseract feeding a quarry. When the quarry finishes it stops drawing power and my usage falls to zero even if I don't turn it off with a redstone signal sent to the tesseract. (I'd be happy to demonstrate to you on an active server if you like)

Draemus: One can use a redstone energy cell which both acts as a MJ storage device and provides a mechanism for controlling output with redstone. Additionally, the conduits and tesseracts from Thermal Expansion provide a great way to both control output with a signal, and to automatically limit MJ usage. I have conduits running from a cell attached to a BC producer which connect up to a tesseract feeding a quarry. When the quarry finishes it stops drawing power and my usage falls to zero even if I don't turn it off with a redstone signal sent to the tesseract. (I'd be happy to demonstrate to you on an active server if you like)

Thanks much appreciated and got a set-up going :) i can see now that will solve the issues and other simple things like actually using the redstone settings in an mfsu can actually make things easier to control on other fronts. I will admit I preferred the small one blocks and some redstone methods for converting but i can see this has more potential overall just need to bury more of it or find a texture pack with better block designs :)

Is this the one you mean? http://tekkitlite.wikia.com/wiki/Changelog

That's the one I was saying was effectively useless. All it does is say what version the individual mods have been updated to. If you read my post at all, you'd see that I'm advocating for a changelog that lists the actual changes in the pack, or at least some notable or highlighted changes that users need to be aware of. The average Tekkit user doesn't want to have to go to each mod's forum or website, track down the individual mod's changelog, compare version numbers, and then see what the changes have been. That's the whole point of using a curated modpack.

Telling us "Updated Applied Energistics to version: rv9-f" doesn't tell us anything useful at all.

• Discord Moderator

The average Tekkit user doesn't want to have to go to each mod's forum or website

No offense to the "average" Tekkit user, but there it makes little sense to post massive amounts of information on each mod here when each mod has an (almost) always up to date list of info maintained somewhere else. If you want to be an expert in the mods you can't rely on Technic or even these forums to get there. If you just want to play a "curated" pack, simply revel in the simplicity of not researching anything and play with what shows up in NEI.

Not being critical, just my two cents.

-is it too much to ask that recommended versions of official modpacks get changelogs?-

I don't think 0.6.0 or 0.6.1 are recommended versions. They are bleeding edge and have bugs. Technic client users should just stick with "recommended" builds for the most part. There are serious problems with the launcher and the way information is provided (e.g. that wiki is horrible), but I think plowmanplow says it pretty well; just load it up, see what's inside, and that's pretty much all the platform is gunning for.

Change logs are a concern for host admins who can easily diff the config files and check mod author resources. Adding changelog functionality to the launcher doesn't affect host admins because those resources are obtained separately and they need to examine changes manually anyway to suit their individually configured servers.

I don't think 0.6.0 or 0.6.1 are recommended versions. They are bleeding edge and have bugs. Technic client users should just stick with "recommended" builds for the most part. There are serious problems with the launcher and the way information is provided (e.g. that wiki is horrible), but I think plowmanplow says it pretty well; just load it up, see what's inside, and that's pretty much all the platform is gunning for.

Change logs are a concern for host admins who can easily diff the config files and check mod author resources. Adding changelog functionality to the launcher doesn't affect host admins because those resources are obtained separately and they need to examine changes manually anyway to suit their individually configured servers.

I'm not saying that it is a must for change logs to be made more visible, but will say that adding them some where to the platform launcher would be a good thing. similar to the change log when using the vanilla Mc launcher. anything that provides a more complete and polished image would certainly help lite to gain and maintain users and visibility. I love tekkit but it too me way too long to find it. just food for thought.

If you read my post at all, you'd see that I'm advocating for a changelog that lists the actual changes in the pack, or at least some notable or highlighted changes that users need to be aware of. The average Tekkit user doesn't want to have to go to each mod's forum or website, track down the individual mod's changelog, compare version numbers, and then see what the changes have been. That's the whole point of using a curated modpack.

Telling us "Updated Applied Energistics to version: rv9-f" doesn't tell us anything useful at all.

We are starting to maintain something like what you're looking for. It's a massively manual process but if we do it once then everyone gets the benefit from it later - so we created a changelog page for 0.6.1 here: http://themindcrafters.com/2013/03/18/tekkit-lite-0-6-1-changelog/

I'm not sure what future formats of our list will look like - we might try and make it better to navigate than a 'post' type but for now that should help and we'll try and keep everything accurate and up-to-date as more releases come out.

Hope this helps someone.

We are starting to maintain something like what you're looking for. It's a massively manual process but if we do it once then everyone gets the benefit from it later - so we created a changelog page for 0.6.1 here: http://themindcrafters.com/2013/03/18/tekkit-lite-0-6-1-changelog/

I'm not sure what future formats of our list will look like - we might try and make it better to navigate than a 'post' type but for now that should help and we'll try and keep everything accurate and up-to-date as more releases come out.

Hope this helps someone.

That is absolutely incredible work. Keep it up! This is exactly what I was thinking of. I appreciate your work on it, greatly! It should go into the official changelog/release info!

Anyone have an idea of why my grass is not spreading? I'm seeing sheep turn the landscape into a brown mess. Plugin perhaps? Just wondering if anyone knows where to look to see that. Only happened once I updated to 0.6.1.

I've gone over plugin settings over and over, I'm thinking its decreased rate of grass growth for some reason some spots more than others. I also think it has to do with a plugin that is rather old but the latest update is for newer versions (multiworld).