Luke’s (Hopefully) comprehensive modpack making guide.

lukeb28

ok so thanks for the guide i have now gotten everything working ( i started making my own custom pack yesterday) client-side at least, it took me a bit to get the server running correctly but i am still having problems, after about 5-10 minutes on the server it crashes with this crashreport:

http://pastebin.com/c7Ejiuii

do you have any idea what the problem is, please note that if it is a problem with ram just tell me, i do have a program on my computer somewhere ( i still haven't found out which one) that has been leaking memory slowly and it can fill up my ram a bit after 12 hours running and i will be restarting my computer now to clean my ram anyway.

and yes i have a shit-ton of mods installed

@Hihellobueoyh you need to delete your loginTimes.dat file found in the /world/chickenchunks folder. If that doesn't work, try adding the server folder as an exception in your antivirus software. The report is telling me the file being used which is why the server can't write to it, most likely because your antivirus is scanning that file.

and i can already tell something is working right, all of the ticks in the server panel are anywhere from .08 - .30 ms which is a hell of a lot better than the 5.0 - 40.0 i was getting last night, thanks @SXScarecrow

EDIT: i mean when i no one is on the server of course, now that i am on i am getting around 30-40 on the world i am in.

• 2 weeks later...

When I try to launch/download my modpack, it says has an error opening a .zip file. For me, there were some steps that were hard to understand, such as the last one to host it, where it says to select the bin, config, coremods and mods folders and archive them in "custompack/mods/" <--- the part i did not understand.

I thought the creator of Optifine said that they do not want their mod in modpacks anymore.

even if they did, who cares?

sure, in a default Technicpack, it would NOT be alowed.

but, the massive amount of modpacks on the site (25175 non-hidden ones to be exact) can not be all Taken down if they have optifine just because little Timmy wanted to have a pack of just purely TMI and Optifine.

even if they did, who cares?

sure, in a default Technicpack, it would NOT be alowed.

but, the massive amount of modpacks on the site (25175 non-hidden ones to be exact) can not be all Taken down if they have optifine just because little Timmy wanted to have a pack of just purely TMI and Optifine.

Yeah, that makes sense.

When I try to launch/download my modpack, it says has an error opening a .zip file. For me, there were some steps that were hard to understand, such as the last one to host it, where it says to select the bin, config, coremods and mods folders and archive them in "custompack/mods/" <--- the part i did not understand.

You need to highlight the folders bin, mods, coremods, and configs; then right click on them and select "add to archive".

I thought the creator of Optifine said that they do not want their mod in modpacks anymore.

Because I don't care.

Literally, I. do. not. care.

If you care to know why then check out the last PAINS fight.

Okay, so, I solved my problem, and maybe other people might be having the same one. I was using the mod Plunder Rummage in my modpack, which apparently needs the creator's permission to be included, because if you don't have his permission, it's actually rigged to not let the game open. Anyone else who can't get a modpack to open, if you're including this mod, either delete it or get his permission.

I didn't give a shit about modder permissions because the pack I am making is for me and one or two other people to play, not to be posted publicly, but that's a discussion for another thread (that I won't be starting because I don't care). Hope this will help anyone else!

You sir are a god amongst men. I have a not so great computer but love modded Minecraft and it's hard to find a pack that has all the things I want without being to much of a strain on my computer. Thanks to your extremely detailed and easy to follow guide I was able to make a pack today that has exactly what I want and nothing extra that runs smoothly. Very well done.

Holy crap! Plunder Rummage actually has that code! Seriously, what levels has this community sunk to when a modder does that shit? He's even worse than some other modders I could mention but won't because it could be construed as a personal attack.....

Okay, so, I solved my problem, and maybe other people might be having the same one. I was using the mod Plunder Rummage in my modpack, which apparently needs the creator's permission to be included, because if you don't have his permission, it's actually rigged to not let the game open. Anyone else who can't get a modpack to open, if you're including this mod, either delete it or get his permission.

I didn't give a shit about modder permissions because the pack I am making is for me and one or two other people to play, not to be posted publicly, but that's a discussion for another thread (that I won't be starting because I don't care). Hope this will help anyone else!

Force a directory change. If that doesn't work please post back, that would be some very invasive software if it still doesn't.

You sir are a god amongst men. I have a not so great computer but love modded Minecraft and it's hard to find a pack that has all the things I want without being to much of a strain on my computer. Thanks to your extremely detailed and easy to follow guide I was able to make a pack today that has exactly what I want and nothing extra that runs smoothly. Very well done.

You are most certainly welcome! Enjoy your pack!

Holy crap! Plunder Rummage actually has that code! Seriously, what levels has this community sunk to when a modder does that shit? He's even worse than some other modders I could mention but won't because it could be construed as a personal attack.....

If a directory change still causes it to crash then it could be malware and should be trod carefully. Who know what else he has done to get back at us "evil doers".

Problem no more!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1775798-164050-plunder-rummage-forge-9111dynamic-treasure-hunting/page__st__320

Hi there, I'm having a problem with my modpack, and was hoping you could chip in with some advice.

Here's the pack, http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/blebscraft, and the zip itself is downloaded from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52005784/blebscraft.zip

What's happening, as you'll likely see, is that it's successfully finding and downloading the file, and unzipping most of it, but eventually it throws an error about not being able to parse an element.

Hi there, I'm having a problem with my modpack, and was hoping you could chip in with some advice.

Here's the pack, http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/blebscraft, and the zip itself is downloaded from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52005784/blebscraft.zip

What's happening, as you'll likely see, is that it's successfully finding and downloading the file, and unzipping most of it, but eventually it throws an error about not being able to parse an element.

Could you provide the FML error log?

it might be because you have the minecraft.jar along side all of the natives in the modpack zip file.

I just went through and completely reconstructed the pack from my resources, I made sure that i didn't have the minecraft.jar in there, and I'm still getting the parsing error while unzipping the pack. I even used a different compression tool this time.

EDIT: Okay, so i went through, and pushed a version of the pack every time I introduced a mod, and Millenaire is causing the problem. Could it have something to do with the fact that the contents of the "put in mods folder" are not, themselves, zip files?

EDITAGAIN: So, that's what was causing the unzipping errors.

Unfortunately, zipping the folders up (both individually, and as a group) causes the game to not see millenaire for some reason. I guess i'll just have to do without millenaire... q.q