Luke’s (Hopefully) comprehensive modpack making guide.

lukeb28

To install Liteloader:
It's pretty much the same as the Forge installation method. Download the relevant version from here, and add the files from the downloaded zip into the modpack.jar. All done!

There is a much easier way to do this, simply put the liteloader jar into the version folder in the mods folder. E.G. the pathway to the jarfile would be ~/modpack/mods/1.7.2/liteloader-1.7.2.jar.

There is a much easier way to do this, simply put the liteloader jar into the version folder in the mods folder. E.G. the pathway to the jarfile would be ~/modpack/mods/1.7.2/liteloader-1.7.2.jar.

I think that's a new feature, I'll add it to the guide!

I've made my modpack and right now I'm having issues with the whole file uploading thing. Does copy.com work for uploading it? If yes, how can I upload the entire modpack folder? When I try and click open it just opens the next level of folders. If no, what websites would work that don't require a premium? I was going to use dropbox, but public sharing is a premium thing. Thanks in advance!

• Discord Moderator

Yes, copy.com works fine. Once you upload your modpack archive ZIP file you simply need to share it through their interface and add "?download=1" to the public link they provide.

As for making the pack, you'll need an archive making program like 7zip. Just make sure that you make the archive in ZIP format and not 7z, rar, etc.

• Make a new folder somewhere on your hard drive and name it what you want to name your modpack. I will refer to this as MODPACK
  • Make a folder called "bin" in MODPACK.
  • Put "modpack.jar" into your newly created bin folder.
  • Copy your entire config folder into MODPACK. If your config folder is empty then you have not successfully started/tested the pack and need to stop here until that is complete.
  • Copy your entire mods folder into MODPACK.
  • If you have extra folders (i.e. Flan, Chocolate, etc.) copy those into MODPACK.
  • Select the contents of MODPACK, right-click and create a new ZIP archive. (should be an option in your shell extension dialog)
  • Upload this ZIP archive to copy.com.
  • Share the newly uploaded file.
  • Copy the public link and add "?download=1" (without the quotes). This is your modpack's download URL.

Yes, copy.com works fine. Once you upload your modpack archive ZIP file you simply need to share it through their interface and add "?download=1" to the public link they provide.

As for making the pack, you'll need an archive making program like 7zip. Just make sure that you make the archive in ZIP format and not 7z, rar, etc.

• Make a new folder somewhere on your hard drive and name it what you want to name your modpack. I will refer to this as MODPACK
  • Make a folder called "bin" in MODPACK.
  • Put "modpack.jar" into your newly created bin folder.
  • Copy your entire config folder into MODPACK. If your config folder is empty then you have not successfully started/tested the pack and need to stop here until that is complete.
  • Copy your entire mods folder into MODPACK.
  • If you have extra folders (i.e. Flan, Chocolate, etc.) copy those into MODPACK.
  • Select the contents of MODPACK, right-click and create a new ZIP archive. (should be an option in your shell extension dialog)
  • Upload this ZIP archive to copy.com.
  • Share the newly uploaded file.
  • Copy the public link and add "?download=1" (without the quotes). This is your modpack's download URL.

Thank you so much! I did it like you said and it worked! I wouldn't have figured it out without your help! 

Is this for 1.7.x? In 1.6.4 I just put it straight in the mods folder and that seem to work just fine.

Edited by sketaful

My only problem is the fact that dropbox requires money to make a public folder (which is something i don't have.) I did try using copy.com but every time it said it had trouble downloading the file.

is there any other webhosts i could use (or at least a way to fix my problems with copy.com)

• Discord Moderator

copy.com works fine for use as a modpack direct download URL. Simply put "?download=1" (without quotes) on the end of the public/shared URL they provide. If that doesn't work for you then you are not doing it correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I have followed your guide and my pack works however when it downloads it downloads vanilla. It also downloads all the mods, configs and the modpack.jar however it just puts them all inside a folder inside the modpack folder. Do you have any idea why this is?

• Discord Moderator

Hello I have followed your guide and my pack works however when it downloads it downloads vanilla. It also downloads all the mods, configs and the modpack.jar however it just puts them all inside a folder inside the modpack folder. Do you have any idea why this is?

Because your modpack archive ZIP file has all of the required folders inside a subfolder.

I am constantly reminding folks of this when they ask for help so I figured it might be good to remind new pack makers. The "modpack.jar" (especially when making 1.6.4 packs) is simply the Forge universal download renamed to "modpack.jar". There is no need to extract it and re-make it. Just rename the thing and put it in your "bin" folder.

Exactly my mistake, thank you :)

Also the link to the ID-conflict guide is broken just so you know ;)

I'm not finished but this guide helped me great deal so thank you Lukeb!

Exactly my mistake, thank you :)

Also the link to the ID-conflict guide is broken just so you know ;)

I'm not finished but this guide helped me great deal so thank you Lukeb!

That may be due to the new forum software. It shouldn't be an issue for the guide since the link was only to give credit where credit was due and all the information is copied onto that post.

I'm glad I could help, and welcome to the forums! (I see your 3 post count :P) I hope you enjoy the community.

This SUCKS to learn at 10 pm when the friend I'm trying to do this for aswell as myself isn't on. xD

I'm trying to revive an old old pack we used to play that I have the files for on my computer, Think I might have it thanks to this guide now though.'

Edited by Slayer19

• 2 weeks later...

in your guide you say to download another modpack that is the same version as the one you want to make and swap in the modpack.jar. unfortunately, I couldn't find any 1.7 modpacks (although I did find someone who made a 1.6.4 and labelled it as 1.7 lol). what do?

many thanks,

the nubbest of yugs

• Discord Moderator

Nub: You might have success using my BareBonesPack as a starting point. Add this custom modpack:

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/barebonespack.271497

After adding that to your launcher simply edit the pack settings (small gear on the bottom left corner of the logo) and select the Forge version you wish to use. Launch the pack once and you will have a clean platform for developing your modpack.

• 4 weeks later...

ok im about ready to punch my computers screen. I tried everything you said and all that will appear is vanilla and everytime I try to change the link, it wont work. I have been working on this pack for a week (hence the name of the pack "Swain's Pain") and am at a loss. I just need help getting the pack to work. can someone just give me some sort of answer to help me out? is that too much to ask?

• Discord Moderator

@swainEXE: Someone in the thread you started asked for a link to your Technic pack page and/or platform API URL. This is going to be required for anyone to help you. Also, don't start multiple threads. Just continue the first one you started and respond to the people trying to help you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Discord Moderator

@rockbreath9: While idfixminus can help you get started with the resolutions, it is my experience that you are better off in the long run just fixing them correctly. idfix I have seen major issues when dealing with large and complicated packs. Also, any time you want to have a server for a pack it is vital that you don't use an automated ID fixer.