Luke’s (Hopefully) comprehensive modpack making guide.

lukeb28

I got this Crash Report: http://pastebin.com/LarkmQxx

Can you help me out?

Try resetting the pack. I think something didn't install correctly.

In the bin folder, what specific files need to be included in the pack and which ones are downloaded automatically? Modpack.jar is obviously included, but what about the others?

I believe the only thing that you'll have to include is the modpack.jar, the rest is downloaded automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the guide, the first part about setting up forge was a huge help, but i come unstuck when you say to "download tekkit then delete the stuff in config, coremods and mods folders, now you have a clean modpack" I dont have a clean modpack, I have all these other folders such as cache, lib and resources which have many zips and rars for mods i dont need. should i delete these folders too?

thanks for the guide, the first part about setting up forge was a huge help, but i come unstuck when you say to "download tekkit then delete the stuff in config, coremods and mods folders, now you have a clean modpack" I dont have a clean modpack, I have all these other folders such as cache, lib and resources which have many zips and rars for mods i dont need. should i delete these folders too?

Just leave them. If you did the pack would notice and re-set itself.

thanks for reply :)

I have decided to just build it from the ground up rather than use the tekkit install. Its not that difficult and I think it would help people if the guide went in that direction, rather than using an existing modpack, but that is my opinion.

Also I have a suggestion for the hosting part, which is where I became incredibly frustrated, as I thought you just put the mods zip url straight into the launcher, and kept getting the invalid url message. After trying like 10 different hosts, and reading google for a few hours I finally worked it out.

something along the lines of:

- go to http://www.technicpack.net/ and make an account, or login if you have an existing account

- click 'dashboard' link in the top right of the page

- click 'create a new modpack'

- give it a name and choose version of minecraft you are using

- click hidden if you are testing the modpack, you can publish it at any time later

- click on dashboard link again

- click on 'my modpacks' and click on modpack you just created

- to the right of 'platform url' box click 'edit'

- put the link to your modpack's zip file (must be a direct download ie dropbox)

- click 'save modpack' at the bottom right of the page

- click dashboard again, my modpacks again, and your modpack again

- this will give you the platform URL which will be something like: http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/yourpackname

- in the techinc launcher go to 'add new pack' and paste this URL into the box that pops up

- it should now download and install your modpack to your technic folder

- friends can help test your pack with just this URL

thanks for the guide anyway luke, it was a great help for a first timer like myself, even though I did get pretty confused at these points I have mentioned.

edit: also you may want to edit out the &quot in the ID error section :D

Now you gotta help everyone setup mods for a multiplayer server, Luke. :D

... because I'm having issues...

such that the server does not crash when I start it on my localhost test server, but when I run it on an actual hosted server, it crashes and gives a nullpoint exception.

such that the server does not crash when I start it on my localhost test server, but when I run it on an actual hosted server, it crashes and gives a nullpoint exception.

Sorry but servers are not my domain. When a server crashes I am dumbfound. :P

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the guide but me and my friend both get the same error when loading the modpack, it just comes up with a whitescreen. We look in the Forge-Modloader-client0 and it says:

[WARNING] [mC] Problem occurred in default config writing.

Where as everything else appeared fine.

Please help as me and my friend have looked all over the internet and have found nothing.

thanks for the guide but me and my friend both get the same error when loading the modpack, it just comes up with a whitescreen. We look in the Forge-Modloader-client0 and it says:

[WARNING] [mC] Problem occurred in default config writing.

Where as everything else appeared fine.

Please help as me and my friend have looked all over the internet and have found nothing.

I don't know what's wrong here, you may have an incompatible mod or something. Try removing all mods and then adding them back in 1 by 1

Now that I know some java and minecraft modding, I believe the problem you have is that the server can't find somthing. I don't know for sure but a crash log would be helpfull

After the download, your modpack brought my computer to it's knees with the unpacking. Then I took a quick look at it and the first thing I saw was that it was missing ChickenCodecore. I found the right version HERE.

After that, I got a few errors and removed Plugins for Forestry and MoCreatures. After that it finally made a real crash report that comprised of ID errors.

I'm not here to fix your modpack, just to help you in making it work. Take this and work off it to fix your pack. If you continue to have problems, please feel free to message me again.

After the download, your modpack brought my computer to it's knees with the unpacking. Then I took a quick look at it and the first thing I saw was that it was missing ChickenCodecore. I found the right version HERE.

After that, I got a few errors and removed Plugins for Forestry and MoCreatures. After that it finally made a real crash report that comprised of ID errors.

I'm not here to fix your modpack, just to help you in making it work. Take this and work off it to fix your pack. If you continue to have problems, please feel free to message me again.

thanks for the help i will try fixing some ids straight away, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the guide Luke! Very helpful! I'm in the process of planning my first modpack, and this guide has already been helpful.

But I still have some questions that need answering.

1: Do mods that are supposed to work together work together automatically, once I create the pack? (Example: Buildcraft and Minefactory reloaded) Or do I have to do something manually?

2: You said to use WinRar; does 7zip work just as well?

3: When you download a mod, do the config files come with it? Or do you have to download/copypaste the config files seperately?

4: This question is kind of hard to explain, so I'll copy/paste from one of your main posts on this thread.

"The first thing we want to do is download a version of technic that supports the version of the pack we are making. If it was 1.2.5: you would download tekkit classic. 1.4.7: tekkit lite, Voltz, BigDig. 1.5.1: Tekkit (The newest version).

Launch the pack and exit out as soon as the main page loads. Now go into your .technic folder (If you don’t know where this is then please google it, thats too easy to need to explain here) and into the pack you just downloaded. If we’re making a 1.4.7 pack and grabbed tekkit lite then we would go into the sub folder marked tekkit lite and delete all the files in the mods, coremods, and config folders. You now have a blank modpack! From here we are going to add our mods into the mod folder there.

Lets say we want Buildcraft and Thermal Expantion in the pack. We just go to the modpack website and download the mods. Paste both of these into your mods folder and launch the pack."

I want to make my pack for 1.6.2, and as you said, I need to download a modpack that supports the version of minecraft of the pack I'm making, and then delete all the files in the config, mods and coremods folders. Well, I can't find any modpacks for 1.6, the version of my pack. I'm wondering if there's any other way to do this, or maybe you know a 1.6 pack?

5: Is there any way to check that your pack works before making it, or do I just have to test out the pack, and if it screws up, I fix it?

I might have more questions later. Thanks! Also, if you have any extra info that you think may help, include it please.

1: Do mods that are supposed to work together work together automatically, once I create the pack? (Example: Buildcraft and Minefactory reloaded) Or do I have to do something manually?

Mods have compatibility with each other built in. You will have to resolve block ID conflicts yourself but if you're lucky there wont be any.

2: You said to use WinRar; does 7zip work just as well?

It works fine, that's what I use.

3: When you download a mod, do the config files come with it? Or do you have to download/copypaste the config files seperately?

The config files generate automatically when the mod runs for the first time.

4: This question is kind of hard to explain, so I'll copy/paste from one of your main posts on this thread.

-snip-

I want to make my pack for 1.6.2, and as you said, I need to download a modpack that supports the version of minecraft of the pack I'm making, and then delete all the files in the config, mods and coremods folders. Well, I can't find any modpacks for 1.6, the version of my pack. I'm wondering if there's any other way to do this, or maybe you know a 1.6 pack?

The technic launcher does not yet support 1.6. We're stuck in 1.5 and earlier for now.

5: Is there any way to check that your pack works before making it, or do I just have to test out the pack, and if it screws up, I fix it?

You could try loading it in MultiMC, it can even install forge for you.

Responses in bold.

Responses in bold.

Thanks! Helped a lot! May I ask what is MultiMC?

I think I'm going to make my pack for 1.5.1 now. Also, this is kind of irrelevant, but I'd like to have NEI (and CodeChickenCore) in my Modpack. Before 1.6, NEI and CodeChickenCore were both coremods. But now on the MC forums, chickenbones posted that they both go in the mods folder. I'm wondering, since my pack is 1.5.1, if I should put them in the mods folder or the coremods folder?

I want mine to only have maps could you tell me how to do this?

If you want to have maps in the pack, then you just add the saves folder with all the others when archiving. If you are trying to make a vanilla pack with just your maps then you only archive the saves folder and share it the same way, no need for the mods, coremods, etc.

Thanks! Helped a lot! May I ask what is MultiMC?

I think I'm going to make my pack for 1.5.1 now. Also, this is kind of irrelevant, but I'd like to have NEI (and CodeChickenCore) in my Modpack. Before 1.6, NEI and CodeChickenCore were both coremods. But now on the MC forums, chickenbones posted that they both go in the mods folder. I'm wondering, since my pack is 1.5.1, if I should put them in the mods folder or the coremods folder?

You need to have code chicken core and NEI in the core mods plus the NotEnoughItems file in your mods folder.

Everything Dwwojcik said is spot on. Thanks for that!