Redstone In Motion now in full release as of June 23

jakj

The issue I see with rotation is where do you take the point to be. A corner? or the midpoint. If the midpoint, what happens if it is not a block but the intersection of four blocks.

I'd assume the point of rotation would be the carriage rotating the structure.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suppose that, instead of block-moving mods adding special functionality to their own blocks, Forge changed TileEntity to add methods to move tile entities. By default they would probably read/write it to/from NBT as normal. People like you and Bluedart wanting to move all blocks would have to do less redundant work focused on other people's mods.

Rotating blocks by arbitrary angles would be impossible. Rotating blocks by 90/180/270 degrees would be easy, with the rotation motor block as the fulcrum. The problem is collision detection: There is no good and quick way to check for obstruction of the rotation until rotation has already begun. Possible, but no good way.

I'll mark rotation by right angles as a future feature and let the user be responsible for keeping the path clear or not caring about clipping.

I would not expect it to be possible for any angle not a multiple of 90. As for the rotatial cliping, why not just have it find the distance from the fulcrum to the furtest corner (pythagorean theorem) and scan if any blocks that occupy the area that it would turn? I'm thinking of somthing very rudementry. Also for air ships, there has to be some type of grap to players or at least the insurance that there will always be a solid block underneath. Redpower ships had a tendency to drop players from the sky.

Possible, but we'll leave that for a "maybe at some point". As for keeping the player on the platform, that's something I'll have to tackle eventually. In theory, the player's position can be stored in the entity when the blocks are removed, and that offset position can be manually applied to the player each delta of the entity. That would be super-jittery, though. Maybe I should just look at how minecarts do it.

Anyway, that's way down the road. I'm going to put out a new testing version tomorrow afternoon that will move an entire set of blocks at once, to see if I can get those pistons working right.

For a WIP that started less than a week ago, this is already showing amazing promise. Keep up the good work jakj!

Eh, it was already all done before though: Eloraam did the initial innovation and the general concept, and Bluedart did the code to move the blocks. I'm basically just rewriting both in my own style. I'm even going to use the Buildcraft API for power instead of trying to reimplement bluetricity (though I may add nikolite back in for shits and giggles).

Really, the only genuinely unique and creative thing I'm doing is how I'm implementing the frames.

Never the less it's important to the community. Every one has been whining about the lack of frames and this is what they have wanted. Also, your taking much more community input than elo ever did. This won't be some add on mod that is barely used, it will be something the community loves and will remember.

Allow nikolite to behave like redstone, but actually stick to the walls/ceilings, and make it rare enough. :D

I'll probably have you combine one whatever-I-call-nikolite with N redstone to make N+1 energetic blend, when you can then smelt into a wire that acts like red alloy did, or similar to.

I just realized something. There's some mod blocks with ridiculous mining resistance but generic blast resistance, like Mazestone from Twilight Forest. How are you going to handle those if they're attached to the carriage?

I'll probably handle it on a per-mod basis. It will all be configurable, though: If someone wants to attach to bedrock, they'll be able to edit the config to let them. I intend the default settings to prevent the user from circumventing mod mechanics like Thaumcraft warded glass or bedrock, but if the user wants to break their game, they can.

Player choice is always a priority.

A chair? Fascinating. Makes me think of Garry's Mod.

The problem with that idea, though, is the entity is just the only way in Minecraft to take a bunch of blocks and make it look like they're moving. ComputerCraft does fancy tricks with a custom renderer, which is why (as far as I know) he doesn't have to make his into an entity. (Maybe he does; I just think he doesn't.)

So while a chair is the obvious solution to the problem, it's also unintuitive and immersion-breaking. As the mod gets fleshed out, I'll try and look at the minecart code to see if I can alter it for my purpose; In the mean time during testing, it'll be fine.

First post has been updated with new code. As I explain there, I now know where a lot of the movement failures are coming from, and I also know of a potential solution, which I will now begin to mess with.

My mod, Complex Machines (http://universalelectricity.com/complex-machines), already has a feature similar to this, and a similar feature is planned for the next update of MFFS. That being said, I don't expect to maintain a monopoly on this idea, and I have no problems with others working on this. The more mods the better! Just wanted you to be aware.

If you mean your Airship feature, as described on that page, there is some overlap but I'm still doing some things differently, so the two will be useful in different situations. As for MFFS, without any knowledge of it, I can't say, but if you mean the Minalien/Searge version, it will likely require the MFFS energetic system, and between the three of us, people could choose to use their frames with MFFS energy, Buildcraft energy, or vanilla redstone, and yes, choices are good. (And if you mean the UE version of MFFS, no fucks are given, so eh.)

If you mean your Airship feature, as described on that page, there is some overlap but I'm still doing some things differently, so the two will be useful in different situations. As for MFFS, without any knowledge of it, I can't say, but if you mean the Minalien/Searge version, it will likely require the MFFS energetic system, and between the three of us, people could choose to use their frames with MFFS energy, Buildcraft energy, or vanilla redstone, and yes, choices are good. (And if you mean the UE version of MFFS, no fucks are given, so eh.)

A few questions/statements. I apologize if I sound hostile in any way, I'm really tired right now :)

1) Yes, I do mean calclavia's remake. Give it a try :)

2) Just out of curiosity, what things are you doing differently?

3) 'Airships' is just a name to give people an idea of what it is for. 'Airships' could just as easily be used for elevators/moving walls/anything else you can imagine

4) My mod actually requires UE energy in it's current form, but buildcraft support is on my to-do list for this weekend.

5) That page appears to be a little out of date :). Airships now have a simplified one block, GUI, upgradable range control option

6) How the hell do you get continuous movement? Are GUIs still operable when the airship is between blocks? I'll be sure to look at that code in the morning :)

Again, I fully support other modders working on this. Just want to have a discussion :)

1) I have no interest in playing with UE in any way. If that ever changes, I will give your mod a try.

2) I have one type of carriage that works like RP's that grabs just adjacent blocks, one type of carriage that grabs any blocks connected in a mass unless the sides of the frames are closed off (to prevent it from trying to pick up an entire continent), and one type of carriage that makes a box and moves whatever's in it (so you could relocate your house).

3) Yes, I get that. You're making frames; I'm making frames. We've renamed them.

4) Options are still good.

5) I prefer 100% non-GUI when possible, so there's another difference that offers player choice as to whether they prefer GUI or non-GUI operation.

6) GUIs are not connected to blocks, so there's no reason one couldn't stay open. You do realize there already was a full-blown airship mod, right? Yogscast did a video about it quite some time ago. You built the airship out of blocks, then triggered the mod, which deleted the blocks and generated an entity. You controled the entity with keyboard shortcuts and you had a continuous-motion airship.

My mod will not have true continuous motion, but it can come close if you use some sort of timer. The way mine works is that when it receives a neighbour block change, it checks for a redstone signal; If it finds one, it activates and moves things one block, and then deactivates on the next neighbour notification where it is not receiving a signal. So if you're using the engine variant (the controller moves with the frames), as soon as the blocks come back down, a quick timer can trigger it again, and if you're using the motor variant (the controller stays put), the same thing will work, because until the blocks stop moving, the motor is connected to no carriage, so it'll just keep aborting until the blocks stop and it's now touching one.

I don't mean to sound hostile either, and I want to preface my final statement with a giant caveat that I think you are being reasonable and pleasant about this, and this is not meant as an attack on you or to demean or invalidate you in any way. But you've repeated one point too many times for my particular personality to let slide, so I feel the need to say this:

Whether you support me or not has no meaning or importance to me, just as whether I support you or not has no meaning or importance to you. My actions are my own, and are based on what is right, not what is permitted.

Now that bit of unpleasantness is out of the way, let us continue to discuss.

...where is it in Creative? I don't see a tab for it, nor do I see it stuck anywhere else. :P

On a vanilla installation with no other mods besides itself, it's the first creative tab on page two of the creative menu. Click the little ">".

Ah, okay. Biomes 'O Plenty might be mucking it up by being first there. I'll pull it out of my TunnelPack and into my vanilla install instead, first thing tomorrow morning.

Ah, okay. Biomes 'O Plenty might be mucking it up by being first there. I'll pull it out of my TunnelPack and into my vanilla install instead, first thing tomorrow morning.

The constructor for the CreativeTabs class automatically assigns the next unused ID and extends the table to include it, so if BOP is causing it to not show up, that's a bug in BOP.

I'll make a query about that later on, after I do some testing in regards to that problem.

For reference, here's my code:

package JAKJ . RedstoneInMotion ;

import net . minecraft . creativetab . CreativeTabs ;

public class CreativeTab extends CreativeTabs

{

public CreativeTab ( )

{

super ( Core . Handle ) ;

}

public static CreativeTab Instance ;

public static void Initialize ( )

{