Low low low FPS (MAC)

Sneky69

Hi all

No idea what in the world has gone wrong but my fps on any mod pack loaded via the launcher is so low you can hardly open the options menu. All settings are as low as one can go. I have deleted and re installed Minecraft, technic Launcher and even my java but all this has not worked.

Any idea's?

Looking for a hero right now =P

The latest update to the bin files is to blame, I suspect. It's either causing this mirror/flip issue, or causing some absolutely punishing performance hits. I don't think it's an FPS issue, F3 on my Mac indicates I still get decent numbers from 30-70, but it FEELS like it's low FPS. Sluggish, unresponsive, slow. I HATES IT.

do we think this bin file will be sorted soon?

reading around a bit something about Java using the wrong CPU or something might be the problem. but all the post where windows and cant find out if this works on a mac or even if it possible to change what CPU is used on a mac.

Had too days of work are sever was down yesterday and this today. lucky me. =P

No idea what the devs are doing about it. I've tried forcing TechnicLauncher.jar to open in Java 7 from Terminal, but that didn't seem to help. I don't know the mechanics of the handoff from the launcher to spoutcraft, but it seems to me that the launcher may be opening in Java 7, but the other jar files opening in Java 6. Java 6 still is the system core default for java applications, after all; even if there is a Java 7 installation usable in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins. Honestly, I feel like there is a lot confusion (both from the developers, and the users) of Java 6 and Java 7, and would love to lend my knowledge to help get it straightened out.

I'm considering making Java 7 my system default and seeing if that helps performance any, but doing so is… messy. I wouldn't expect most novice or even experienced Mac users to know how to change the java installation from the core VM over to the one embedded in the latest plugin.

Going to copy in your post Dash16 from the other post about the other problems just incase people don't find it as its in a in a thread not just about this this problem.

Dragosiankiller said:

Is there a way of contacting people who work on the launcher?

In theory, some of them hang out on these Forums, but don't expect a quick response.

I'm looking into running Java 7 as my default JVM, if that works as an acceptable workaround I'll post instructions here. Sadly it won't work for 10.6 users as you need 10.7.3 or higher to use Java in Mac OS. Consider upgrading to 10.8, it's only $20.

Edit: So, installing Java 7 seems to fix my issues. Note: Oracle's instructions for updating Java to 7 for the Mac are (bewilderingly) wrong. They seem to make the same incorrect conclusion about running Java 7 from the Internet Plug-Ins directory, vs. having a full Java VM that the OS uses to run java apps outside of a browser. In any case, download the Java 7 JDK from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

After installing the JDK, open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type:

java -version

It should return the following:

java version "1.7.0_21"

Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_21-b12)

Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.21-b01, mixed mode)

If it shows 1.6, you still have Java 6 as the default VM, and might need some additional terminal trickery to get it working. Should you run into problems after installing the JDK check here: http://www.mattgifford.co.uk/set-java-7-as-default-jvm-on-mac-osx-mountain-lion

Installing Java 7 on my machine fixed the lagginess introduced by the latest TechnicLauncher.jar update. I suspect, but am not sure, that the issue with the screen flipping/mirroring in window mode will also be addressed. Please post your results if so.