Strange Video Flickering

watsonj11

Ever since I got my new graphics card (a GeForce GTX 550 Ti) I have had this strange flickering when watching videos

I seeked support from Nvidea and they told me to use VLC media player that fixed this problem for a while but it has come back again. I am running 64x Vista home premium.

A banal question, but did you update your graphics driver?

I updated this morning, problem still exists

from what i've heard, vista is like the disease and birth-defect ridden twin of 7, so...

I guess there is some truth there,ctrl alt delete don't work like it should and it is quite slow sometimes but it's reliable most of the time and does what it's supposed too, anyway vista can long before windows7 didn't it? apart from that if you don't want bug ridden software you use Mac or Linux most Microsoft software is the same thing with a bit bolted on it that usually adds more bugs!

Actually microsoft products follow a good-crap-good-crap pattern, though the exact level of suck varies.

Vista is quite inferior to 7 in many ways, but overall is usable once certain changes are made.

Having grown up during the golden age of OS hate-wars (the 90's, nothing today compares to the venom flung between mac os8/9 and windows 9x fanboys) and watching Linux blossom, I have one piece of advice. Don't flame it till you try it.

Actually microsoft products follow a good-crap-good-crap pattern, though the exact level of suck varies.

Vista is quite inferior to 7 in many ways, but overall is usable once certain changes are made.

Having grown up during the golden age of OS hate-wars (the 90's, nothing today compares to the venom flung between mac os8/9 and windows 9x fanboys) and watching Linux blossom, I have one piece of advice. Don't flame it till you try it.

But the reason they follow that pattern is because they are all basically the same

I like MAC better than windows stuff, I have never tried LINUX but think it would be preferable to some of the Microsoft rubbish you get

anyway anyone know a solution to my problem?

I've tried it. It was hell as far as trying to run games older than Vista was concerned. Fortunately I also had XP installed, so that problem was gone. It wasn't too bad other than that, but I can't see I'm sad not to be using it anymore.

On topic, I think I got weird flickering effects in-game after messing with my graphics driver options. You might want to check through there and see if anything's gone wrong.

I've tried it. It was hell as far as trying to run games older than Vista was concerned. Fortunately I also had XP installed, so that problem was gone. It wasn't too bad other than that, but I can't see I'm sad not to be using it anymore.

On topic, I think I got weird flickering effects in-game after messing with my graphics driver options. You might want to check through there and see if anything's gone wrong.

I have

I also had this problem on online videos for a while but a solution to that proved to be to disable hardware acceleration

another odd thing about this problem is it usually only happens on fullscreen

But the reason they follow that pattern is because they are all basically the same

I like MAC better than windows stuff, I have never tried LINUX but think it would be preferable to some of the Microsoft rubbish you get

anyway anyone know a solution to my problem?

The core experience stays the same, but the underlying technology differs wildly.

Every bad release can actually be attributed to them trying something new, and their stubborn views that they know what computing should be despite majority outcry and disapproval from their users.

95 (bad) was the first real attempt at a native GUI OS and suffered from inexperience.

NT (good) was much more stable and secure, but was targeted at the corporate market so most users never saw it.

98 (bad) was a step up from 95, but not by much.

98 SE (good) was a major step up from 98 first launch, including many fixes (Y2Kbug fix) and new technology (like USB and actual plug'n'play support). So much it was a whole new product.

ME (worst) was an attempt to shoehorn in a bunch of media improvements that destabilized the whole thing to the point of uselessness.

2000 (good) took the usability enhancements they learned with 98SE and applied it to their secure NT line. Still targeted at the corporate market, it was nonetheless very usable as a home OS.

XP (bad) took the usability and stability of 2000 and mucked it up with the media enhancements that tanked ME.

XP SP1 (good) they learned from their mistakes and fixed their errors, turning the second worst OS they had ever released and turned it into the darling of stability and usability for years to come.

Vista (bad) again tried to shoehorn in media enhancement and prettyness, along with the added failure that was an overzealous UAC. User outcry was so bad they had to fudge the numbers by letting OEMs install XP while counting them as vista sales (technically it's true the vista licenses were sold, but actual use never picked up).

7 (good) fixed up Vista, fixed the failed search "improvements" they had added to XP/vista, major speed improvements.

8 (bad) is yet another attempt at making something new and yet again a complete failure.

How would you suggest for me to make my vista run better not including buy a new licence or disabling windows aero?

I think there are still people who like vista and this article was surely written by one of them not that I totally agree but you have to admit SP2 Vista has got a massive improvement on stability

a simple 1% can make a huge difference, you know.

well anyway I intend on partitioning my disc with either mac or Linux

If someone knows how I can do this that would be great and I also want to know can I un-license a broken mac? (snow leopard)