Fuck MCForums and all it stands for

jakj

What, why?

Because jakj has already said you don't need permissions for any of his mods, not in this topic but on this forum, search

A free version of thaumcraft? So you're telling me that the copy of TC3 I used recently secretly charged me money?

A very simple google search clearly shows that jakj is not someone that needs handouts, and this topic shows he doesn't need a forums because it's on a forum

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will it be open for modpacks?

And as you are doing this you may also program a free version of thaumcraft ;)

And when you get problems with the mcf I would love to offer you free file hosting and a forum on my server if you want:D

Considering what people think of Technic, I doubt any mod I make will ever get popular enough that my little godaddy account won't handle it. Although...considering how DIrewolf20 feels about frames, and considering he's a person who avoids rocking the boat for any reason...I feel almost giddy at the thought of him going back and forth in his mind of whether or not to use my mod (if he even ever hears about it). I genuinely like Dire, even though I wish he were less of a pudding and stuck up for himself instead of trying to be everyone's friend, but he's never (to my knowledge) done anything I actually disapproved of.

I'm going to redo Soul Shards 1) because it's just a small mod, and 2) because the author has been a d...........has been unpleasant. Azanor just has an unreasonable anti-modpack bias, and he does attempt to use logic to justify it, and he is not an asshole at all. *And* his mod is frickin' huge. So no, not doing Thaumcraft. It's not like you'll get sued for using it in your modpack without his permission: You'll just get yelled at.

It would take me a month to remake a mod as huge as Thaumcraft, and that's with just decompiling the code and rewriting it a bit. Actually learning how to do things and redoing everything (including textures) would take half a year. I would have to be pretty fuckin' pissed at an author, to the point of frothing rage dripping down my chin, to go through all that.

It would take me a month to remake a mod as huge as Thaumcraft, and that's with just decompiling the code and rewriting it a bit. Actually learning how to do things and redoing everything (including textures) would take half a year. I would have to be pretty fuckin' pissed at an author, to the point of frothing rage dripping down my chin, to go through all that.

hmm... what to do, what to do...

incite azanor into pissing off jakj to the point of frothing rage, or not do anything at all... choices, choices.

If you need help, i would love to do graphical things for you... just ask me something and I'll try, you can then decide if I'm good enough for you

Hmm. Well, the mod won't require much graphical stuff beyond textures which I can just get from creative-commons sources. I do want a few things, though:

*) When the blank soul shard is used on a mob, I want a modification of the vanilla lightning strike to hit the mob. It won't alter them: It'll be visual only.

*) When a soul shard is in a spawner, I want it to draw with different particle effects from the normal spawner fire.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If you do come up with something cool, though, it'll have to be openly licensed, such as public domain (if your juristiction recognizes the public domain), WTFPL, GPL, CC, or similar.

hmm... what to do, what to do...

incite azanor into pissing off jakj to the point of frothing rage, or not do anything at all... choices, choices.

If you do any such thing, I will find you, and I will lock you in a closet for the next five years. Don't troll.

And I would have realized that was going to happen before it did, and prepared by locking you lot inside the house and giving it the thermonuclear treatment. Only for you Oka :3

Everyone else gets the more modern stuff...

Hey jakj,

this is my first idea for the particle effects:

Soul_effect_1_zps58d4c03a.png

please tell me if you like it and suggest changes (I'll try to make them)

And as I knew not very much about your lightning idea, this is my first try:

strike_1_zpse9fac690.png

Same as above ;)

Hope you like them

Screenshot with particle effects applied

2013-06-06_202717_zpsabc69e78.png

EDIT: I forgot to remove the background, you can get them without the white background :)

EDIT2: Added Screenshot

That particle effect is sweet: I'll definitely use that. I'm changing my mind about the lightning so don't worry about that for now. If you could give me that particle image in original resolution, I'll add it to my folder.

Hey jakj,

this is my first idea for the particle effects:

Soul_effect_1_zps58d4c03a.png

please tell me if you like it and suggest changes (I'll try to make them)

This doesn't really fit vanilla Minecraft. I see you're using Sphax, but not everybody else does. If anything, this particle effect of yours could be included in one of the Sphax releases after jakj's mod comes out.

This doesn't really fit vanilla Minecraft. I see you're using Sphax, but not everybody else does. If anything, this particle effect of yours could be included in one of the Sphax releases after jakj's mod comes out.

Why do you think it doesn't fit vanilla Minecraft?

The style of shading, the resolution and the shape. It is obviously stylized with the cartoony style of Sphax.

Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate the default textures in Minecraft (I prefer Soartex), but that particle doesn't fit in the default artstyle. The general idea of the particle is nice, though - a purple sprite with a creeper-esque face on it.

Looked more reminiscent of the traditional comedy/tragedy masks to me, which is why I liked it so much.

How about you mess around with Google Images a bit, and see if you can find me something similar to what you think would be appropriate? I could always include both with a config option on the client.

If anyone's curious, I have everything except half the recipes and the actual spawner implemented: Crafting the soul shards and charging them up now works. I decided to go with a system that (roughly) is summarized as follows:

You craft up a shard and attune it with a drop from the mob in question. Then, you use (not attack with) that item on the correct mob: It will damage you by half of your health or two hearts, whichever is greater (so it can kill you if you go too fast). This damage is not affected by game difficulty and is not affected by armor. You have to take a total damage amount based on the mob, with harder enemies requiring you to take more total damage. (The damage doesn't have to be all at once, so you can strike-and-run.) This process doesn't hurt the mob, and the risk comes that it's attacking you while you're trying to do this, unless it's a pig or something.

Once you have that shard charged up, you craft it into the actual soul shard. This soul shard has multiple tiers: Each tier takes the same number of kills. (Rarity of the monster determines kills per tier: Common creatures require more, and rare monsters require less.) You can also craft enhancements (which replace the weapon enchantments) that can boost your gain per kill anywhere from 5% to 1000%. The upgrades are consumed each time you fully charge one tier of the shard, and you have to do the damage-yourself shard again to upgrade the shard to the next tier.

Any shard that has been charged to the top of any particular tier can be crafted into a spawner: How many tiers attained by the shard determines the properties of the spawner, just like the Soul Shards mod.

Overall, the differences in balance between my mod and his are that mine will take less time than his to get a top-tier spawner, but mine will require more effort and resources, but unlike his, mine uses simple nether materials (glowstone, quartz, soul sand) instead of his crazy shit (end stone and diamonds).

You are intended to be able to start this mod very early, as soon as you're able to either mine obsidian or use a mod to produce it (like TE's igneous extruder or IC2's lava+water cell recipe) and make a quick dash into the Nether for a few things. If you're good at Minecraft, you can get started with your first tier of shards in roughly an hour of play, or just under.