Show me the Money...

Jvr

Well, I have been convinced by my 11 year old son to setup a tekkit server.. my experience with MineCraft was 0. Experience with setting up Java apps.. 85% So I says to my self, Self.. how hard can this be? I just google some and go..

so I rented a NFOserver and hacked tekkit 1.0.6 onto it.. I'm thinking cool.. Now my boy is asking for an economy and villigers and other things, I think no big deal, down load the mods and restart.. So I google.. and now my head hurts.. I find there was this thing called BukkitFordge and it is no more and some mod for tekkit (read classic) work for it, and others do not.. and some mods are actually plugins.. etc.. the long and short is I could really use a pointer to a good FAQ/Primer for Tekkit (assuming it's not lite or classic)

Also if any one can point me at tekkit friendly economy and village stuff that would be wicked pissa..

-John

villages/villagers are generated randomly throughout your world -- you just have to go looking for them. They can be traded with as part of the game. Most of mine, of course, want to give me chicken in exchange for emeralds, so I don't find that trade terribly valuable, but maybe I'm just getting unlucky.

Is your son wanting to trade with villagers, or is he talking about having others join the server and then trading with them?

One of the simplest methods I've found is the Trade Booth mod (link here) that's part of the existing Tekkit pack. You just have to '/give' users the trade booth, as it can't be crafted, and they can store basics for trading and set simple barter ratios in the interface (storage of items is in the lower block). It only has about 10 'trades' that you can set up, so might be too limited for what he has in mind, but my kids like the basic ability to set up trades with me and/or each other.

it sounds like you're new to server commands, so if you want to use the Trade Booth, from a server console you can just type 'give <username> 901 1' and then 'give <username> 8832 1' to give them one each of the top and bottom blocks. If you're in-game with admin (or op) privileges, you add a '\' to the command, so it'd be '\give <username> ...'

villages/villagers are generated randomly throughout your world -- you just have to go looking for them. They can be traded with as part of the game. Most of mine, of course, want to give me chicken in exchange for emeralds, so I don't find that trade terribly valuable, but maybe I'm just getting unlucky.

Is your son wanting to trade with villagers, or is he talking about having others join the server and then trading with them?

One of the simplest methods I've found is the Trade Booth mod (link here) that's part of the existing Tekkit pack. You just have to '/give' users the trade booth, as it can't be crafted, and they can store basics for trading and set simple barter ratios in the interface (storage of items is in the lower block). It only has about 10 'trades' that you can set up, so might be too limited for what he has in mind, but my kids like the basic ability to set up trades with me and/or each other.

it sounds like you're new to server commands, so if you want to use the Trade Booth, from a server console you can just type 'give <username> 901 1' and then 'give <username> 8832 1' to give them one each of the top and bottom blocks. If you're in-game with admin (or op) privileges, you add a '\' to the command, so it'd be '\give <username> ...'

Thanks.. Very helpful... I'll pass that along to him.. as he is op.. I'm just attempt to be a player.. and server admin..

He wants other to join the server and trade with them.. I think that is part of the economy thing he is looking for..