[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

The Logs don't contain anything interesting.

A new, empty world did not bring any advantages. However on maincraft without any mods it seemed to be working fine.

I manually added railcraft to my tekkit. I removed that mod now and there we go - your mod seems to be working perfectly fine on a new map on tekkit. So apparently there is a conflict with railcraft - tough decision i have to make now ;)

Could be those buggy, useless trail blocks which break *Everything*.

They're probably connecting your frames to the ground in their eternal useless crappiness.

Yeah, that would do it: It's probably trying to connect to or move against those invisible blocks in a way that makes the motion invalid.

Supposedly, mDiyo has had limited success in getting his mod to work with those blasted things, and Forge is working on API changes to help CJ make them work better, so if I figure out a way to work around that issue, then I'll stick it in, but in the mean time, my only advice is to go on CJ's forum and (as politely as possible) tell him to quit pulling stunts that fuck everything up everywhere.

Version 0.2.1.0 now available, adding ComputerCraft support. Getting very close to official 1.0.0.0 release! Keep testing for bugs, ESPECIALLY with modded blocks, please!

RECENT CHANGES (full list in "Changes.txt"):

0.2.0.0 -> 0.2.1.0

-- fixed a potential crash when the world instructs a block to update itself

-- prevented usage of screwdriver while sneaking on structure carriage from causing the wrong behaviour

-- added ComputerCraft support in the form of a carriage motor that responds to commands instead of redstone signals

-- ** interface with it using the ComputerCraft peripheral api

-- ** command is "move <direction> <simulation flag>"

-- ** "<simulation flag>" is either "true" or "false"

-- ** ** "true" means just say whether the carriage could move; "false" means actually move it

-- ** "<direction>" is "0", "1", "2", "3", "4", or "5"

-- ** ** 0 is up , 1 is down , 2 is north (-Z), 3 is south (+Z), 4 is west (-X), 5 is east (+X)

KNOWN ISSUES

Blocks affected by gravity (e.g., sand and gravel) that are not part of a carriage fall through that carriage even if that carriage in its new position would support them.

Fire does not render correctly.

Some blocks in-transit are not yet rendered.

Drives will not work on structure carriages when placed on an edge instead of a corner.

Recipes do not use the Forge material dictionary.

PLANNED FEATURES

Native-resolution (i.e., 16x) texture pack.

Omni-Wrench support.

An optional "hardcore" mode, for people who want this mod to be expensive to use.

So just wondering any chance we could get the ability to set what blocks the frames are allowed to move in game like per frame object?

So like a block to put on a frame object with a gui to select what blocks you want to move, or even exclude ones you do not want it to move.

Or even set this list of allowed or disallowed blocks in the engine carriage.

So just wondering any chance we could get the ability to set what blocks the frames are allowed to move in game like per frame object?

So like a block to put on a frame object with a gui to select what blocks you want to move, or even exclude ones you do not want it to move.

Or even set this list of allowed or disallowed blocks in the engine carriage.

If you mean a blacklist, there already is one in the config file. By default, the only blocks blacklisted are bedrock and the fake block used during carriage motion. Are you asking for a separate blacklist for each type of carriage/frame?

By "gui to select", do you mean where you can work out a very specific set of blocks by relative coordinates to move, instead of relying on frame placement? That's already been suggested, but I derped and forgot about it, so I'm glad you reminded me. I have plans for a sort of "template" carriage a little bit like the buildcraft templates, where you place down the template frames in the shape you want to be moved, and then absorb that into a pattern that is then moved without having to actually have frames present.

I don't know but I'm from Germany and I can't download your newer versions anymore (got a unknown network issue to your side after 1-2 mins of download), could you maybe add dropbox dl link or something like that :/? I don't need a fast download but I want a download :I

I don't know but I'm from Germany and I can't download your newer versions anymore (got a unknown network issue to your side after 1-2 mins of download), could you maybe add dropbox dl link or something like that :/? I don't need a fast download but I want a download :I

.......minutes? The download is only 3.69 MiB. I'll see what services have free and public options and get a mirror setup, but in the mean time...I'd check your ISP or router or whatever for issues, if I were you.

The Logs don't contain anything interesting.

A new, empty world did not bring any advantages. However on maincraft without any mods it seemed to be working fine.

I manually added railcraft to my tekkit. I removed that mod now and there we go - your mod seems to be working perfectly fine on a new map on tekkit. So apparently there is a conflict with railcraft - tough decision i have to make now ;)

That's why. Railcraft recently added a pointless feature that breaks vanilla features. You can disable it by setting the block id called hidden in the config to 0. The feature has been known to break multiblock structures from other mods, and vanilla features, such as pistons, and nether portals, and the maker of Railcraft refuses to fix it claiming that it is the things being broken are the problem.

That's why. Railcraft recently added a pointless feature that breaks vanilla features. You can disable it by setting the block id called hidden in the config to 0. The feature has been known to break multiblock structures from other mods, and vanilla features, such as pistons, and nether portals, and the maker of Railcraft refuses to fix it claiming that it is the things being broken are the problem.

His argument for that is that things should be using function calls to check for air blocks instead of just checking for block id 0 like vanilla did. Forge isn't helping, because they're acting like this problem was actually a bug in vanilla and forge up to this point, and they've "corrected" it. So now every mod in the world is expected to use special forge functions to check for pseudo-air blocks in addition to actual air blocks. And a mod like mine is supposed to recognize this special air block and deal with it...somehow. I'd have to check the Railcraft code to figure out whether I should move it, or overwrite it, or stick it somewhere else...eh.

I'm not happy with CovertJaguar right now, not only for his brilliant hidden-block idea but also for his pulling a Sengir with the DRM. For now, I'm just going to say "disable the hidden block or deal with it". I'm not going to snap my spine to accomodate it. If over half his users disable his little block and keep complaining about it, maybe his head will suddenly remember which way front is.

Try using support carriages instead:

Support carriages will treat everything above them but not to the sides as part of the carriage. Notice how I have one extra row of block breakers facing up instead of forward, so it can break the ceiling too. What you'll want to do is a stutter-step pattern: Activate it once, and it will break in front of it and above it. Then, you will need to move the carriage up one block and break again, which will clear the blocks that would otherwise block from moving the upward-pointing block breakers. Then, move it down one block again and move forward.

The only issue you'll have to deal with is falling sand/gravel: You'll need to keep activating the block breakers as sand/gravel fall on them until no more falls on them. You'll also have to deal with water/lava falling on you somehow.

Not sure how well that'll work in practice. :( The gravel / sand / water / lava problem is significant in bores, so I don't think this will work very well.

That magical Frame Block that made the mod treat the block above it as a Frame Block would be amazing ;)

In the meantime, I'm going to try my turtle idea and see how well it works.

Not sure how well that'll work in practice. :( The gravel / sand / water / lava problem is significant in bores, so I don't think this will work very well.

That magical Frame Block that made the mod treat the block above it as a Frame Block would be amazing ;)

In the meantime, I'm going to try my turtle idea and see how well it works.

Now that I was reminded of the template carriage idea that had been suggested a while ago, that's actually going to be your solution. What you will do to make your bore is create basically a solid cuboid of these template carriages, in the shape you want your bore to be. Then you let it absorb that template, which turns it into one single patterned template carriage. Then, you build your bore, and you put a solid ceiling on the top to protect yourself from the falling sand/gravel/water/lava. You won't have any additional carriage blocks: Just the patterned template one, and when you move that template carriage, it will move everything: The block breakers (which can now all face forward and you don't need to worry about above you anymore), the roof, and all of it.

I'm implementing it right now, as a matter of fact, so hey.

Yeah, I disabled that Railcraft hidden block in my config almost immediately. It broke a lot of other mods in very confusing ways. And the only benefit seemed to be that you could put on the trackman's goggles and see where people had been. I didn't really see much use for that feature, and the annoyance factor of everything else wasn't worth having it enabled.

That template carriage idea sounds 100% awesome. That will definitely solve a lot of issues (including mine), and make for some very, very interesting structures / machines.

You can disable it by setting the block id called hidden in the config to 0.

Thank you for that idea! I already got rid of railcraft now, so I can use this mod. But i might give it a shot later on.

Thanks for the great support youre doing, jakj!

Something in the mod doesn't work with the deobf mapping my server uses. (Crash log here.) What Forge version are you building against?

I'm using Forge 1.5.2-7.8.1.737, via the included "install.cmd" script. I'm also using srgname reobfuscation, which means if your server doesn't support that, the reflection won't work.

As long as it's a 1.5.x version of Minecraft, it *should* be working fine, since Forge should perform runtime deobfuscation into the srgnames which in theory shouldn't change over minor releases.

Is it possible that bukkit is somehow interfering? One obvious possibility is that, if bukkit has overridden/overwritten one of the classes I'm reflecting my way into, the field names would change.

You're right, it works fine with a vanilla server.

That's a shame, but honestly I don't find it that surprising. Bukkit compatibility would require an actual port, I'd expect. I'll mark it in the notes.

Release 1.0.0.0 is now available! Woohoo! Beta is officially over, and I can recommend this mod for use in play worlds...as long as you remember to test mod blocks first! I will not be responsible for anything you lose, though I will of course fix it for the future if you file a proper bug report.

Enjoy the new template carriages! Roofed mining bores ahoy!

RECENT CHANGES (full list in "Changes.txt"):

0.2.1.0 -> 1.0.0.0

-- enchantment tables are now rendered in-transit

-- signs (both on posts and on walls) are rendered in-transit

-- carriage drives that are correctly configured for motion and are being signalled by redstone but fail to actually move the carriage will now keep attempting to move the carriage continuously as long as they remain correctly configured for motion and are being signalled by redstone

-- ** this allows the creation of staggered carriages, where one activates the next which activates the next, multiple carriage types following each other or triggering each other in sequence

-- ** for example, a caterpillar drive for moving a house over a long distance, which is a structure carriage being driven by an engine which is being signalled by a frame carriage carrying a redstone block and being driven by an engine in continuous mode

-- ** this also means that drives will correctly attempt to move the carriage even when placed into an extant configuration

-- carriage drives will now check for updates when being switched into or out of continuous mode

-- fixed carriages grabbing entities that were near but not actually on the carriage on the -X and -Z sides

-- added in-transit placeholder blocks so that sand/gravel/water/lava/etc. don't fall through the roof of an in-transit carriage

-- ** blocks will fall through the carriage only if, after the carriage stops moving, there won't be anything supporting those blocks

-- ** in that case, things will fall through the carriage immediately, even though visually the carriage is still moving; this is not a bug

-- added template carriages

-- ** place down template carriages in any contiguous shape whatsoever

-- ** use the screwdriver on one of the carriages: that carriage will absorb all the rest, but remember their locations

-- ** the remaining template carriage (which now has closed sides) will move any blocks in the pattern it has absorbed

-- ** if the patterned template carriage is broken, it will lose its pattern, so you must assemble it in-place

-- ** only the spots in the world represented by the pattern will be moved, and nothing else anywhere

-- ** this is the ultimate in precise design control: decide exactly what blocks where will be moved

-- ** this is not the ultimate always-use-this carriage, though, because all but one of the blocks are lost every time a pattern is established, it cannot be safely moved except by carriage drives, there is no visual indication of the pattern after it has been established, and a template carriage must be used in every single block position to be recorded (a full volume)

KNOWN ISSUES

Fire does not render correctly.

Some blocks in-transit are not yet rendered.

Drives will not work on structure carriages when placed on an edge instead of a corner.

Recipes do not use the Forge material dictionary.

PLANNED FEATURES

Native-resolution (i.e., 16x) texture pack.

Omni-Wrench support.

An optional "hardcore" mode, for people who want this mod to be expensive to use.

One thing I noticed; if a computer is running a program, it'll reset when moved and the program will cease running. None of the computers or turtles I placed will lose any data, they will just stop executing a program when moved.

But very nice mod, and I intend to add it to my world straight away.

One thing I noticed; if a computer is running a program, it'll reset when moved and the program will cease running. None of the computers or turtles I placed will lose any data, they will just stop executing a program when moved.

But very nice mod, and I intend to add it to my world straight away.

Yep, I've looked into the CC code, and I've determined that's a deliberate design choice by dan200, because when the world is loaded from disk or when a chunk is unloaded and reloaded with the world open, it reboots then too. Computers/turtles running on moving carriages will need to plan on having their "startup" program executed after each motion.

Yeah, Sorry my last post was kind of all over the place, your template blocks more or less work for what I was requesting. I just meant a new block or option for the carriages to select which blocks they move. So I could use the Blue frames to move things an no grab EVERYTHING they touch =P even though that is awesome.

Yeah, Sorry my last post was kind of all over the place, your template blocks more or less work for what I was requesting. I just meant a new block or option for the carriages to select which blocks they move. So I could use the Blue frames to move things an no grab EVERYTHING they touch =P even though that is awesome.

The blue ones will grab everything touching them up to 5000 blocks (or what you set in the config), yes, which is probably where I'm going to get the most yelling about lack of balance, since in theory you can have an entire giant construct with just the one frame. But if you ever touch a wall, you're screwed, and have to break and move things again, so it's not just handing it to you on a silver platter.

I don't want to put any GUI in the mod, but I welcome any feedback that can make the template blocks easier to use.

If I am understanding you right, you want some sort of filter GUI like logistic pipes has, where you say "this carriage is allowed to move stone, brick, and dirt" or where you say "this carriage is allowed to move everything except gold blocks", right? It's a good idea, and if I can think of a good way to implement it without a GUI, I'll likely throw it in.